question on Sport Exhaust System on Cayman S - Porsche 718 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-24-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Question question on Sport Exhaust System on Cayman S

Hi all,
I did a test drive with a new 718 Cayman S sport chrono, which didnt have the sport exhaust system ( which I believe would have the exhaust button on the console ), On the standard drive mode the exhaust sound is very average, in Sport mode it get a bit deeper and enjoyable.
I just want to know if the Sport Exhuast System makes the sound much better? or the difference is not that great?
post #2 of 16 Old 01-28-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennz View Post
Hi all,
I did a test drive with a new 718 Cayman S sport chrono, which didnt have the sport exhaust system ( which I believe would have the exhaust button on the console ), On the standard drive mode the exhaust sound is very average, in Sport mode it get a bit deeper and enjoyable.
I just want to know if the Sport Exhaust System makes the sound much better? or the difference is not that great?

Sport exhaust makes a HUGE difference in my opinion.

Whether it's worth $2500+ or not, is really based on how much money you can afford to blow
post #3 of 16 Old 01-28-2017, 09:53 AM

I have the Base Model 718 Boxster with Sport Exhaust. There are three distinct sounds. Normal Mode, Sport Exhaust, and Sport Mode. Sport Mode is the loudest (deeper & most enjoyable) and increases the idle RPM from about 800 to 1000. In my opinion the Sport Exhaust Option is worth the price.

post #4 of 16 Old 02-22-2017, 12:49 PM

Garage
I have a manual tran. with a sport button on the consul. When I push it, it sounds like the exhaust gets louder, but I don't have 3 modes, I don't think. I'm a newbie. Can someone tell me what the button does. I read the manual and it says, it goes emotional. What the heck is that????? It doesn't seem to do anything else.
I AutoX and just traded a 2016 MX-5 for the Boxster. Hope I'm not disappointed. The Miata was like a slot car(and under powered). This Boxster is going to take some getting used to, It's so different.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-22-2017, 01:22 PM

If it fits your budget, I wouldn't pass on it. I've had a chance to hear it and as much as we enjoy the sound of our Boxster, which is not equipped with sport exhaust, we are thinking about a Suncoast add on in the next couple of months.

2017 Carmine Red Macan GTS
2017 Jet Black Metallic Boxster 718S
post #6 of 16 Old 02-23-2017, 07:29 AM

I have it and like it, but honestly, it's a LOT of money to pay for sound.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-23-2017, 01:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemare View Post
I have a manual tran. with a sport button on the consul. When I push it, it sounds like the exhaust gets louder, but I don't have 3 modes, I don't think. I'm a newbie. Can someone tell me what the button does. I read the manual and it says, it goes emotional. What the heck is that????? It doesn't seem to do anything else.
I AutoX and just traded a 2016 MX-5 for the Boxster. Hope I'm not disappointed. The Miata was like a slot car(and under powered). This Boxster is going to take some getting used to, It's so different.

WOW no reply, huh. Unlike the Mazda Forum, I guess I can't expect any answers. WOW
post #8 of 16 Old 02-23-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemare View Post
WOW no reply, huh. Unlike the Mazda Forum, I guess I can't expect any answers. WOW
Nitemare--do you have Sport Chrono or just sport? I believe the Sport button heightens the throttle responses--not sure about rev-matching.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-23-2017, 05:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
Nitemare--do you have Sport Chrono or just sport? I believe the Sport button heightens the throttle responses--not sure about rev-matching.
I do not have the Sport Chrono, just the sport button. It appears the exhaust gets louder. What kind of response can I expect. I can't tell. I only have 190miles on the car.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-23-2017, 07:05 PM

The sport button should give you a slightly quicker throttle response. It also pipes in more intake noise which is what you are hearing. With the manual trans--I am also reading that with the 718 you will get rev-matching on down shifts as well with the Sport button. The Sport button doesn't really do that much with a manual trans. I don't know if this helps. My 718 Boxster is due in early April and it will be the first manual trans Porsche for me. When I test drove the car I could tell slightly the difference between sport and normal mode. My 911 with PDK had sport and sport plus--which I only used occasionally for launch control.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page