question on Sport Exhaust System on Cayman S - Porsche 718 Forum
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-24-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2
Question question on Sport Exhaust System on Cayman S

Hi all,
I did a test drive with a new 718 Cayman S sport chrono, which didnt have the sport exhaust system ( which I believe would have the exhaust button on the console ), On the standard drive mode the exhaust sound is very average, in Sport mode it get a bit deeper and enjoyable.
I just want to know if the Sport Exhuast System makes the sound much better? or the difference is not that great?
bennz is offline  
post #2 of 16 Old 01-28-2017, 08:03 AM
Member
 
Whatevva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennz View Post
Hi all,
I did a test drive with a new 718 Cayman S sport chrono, which didnt have the sport exhaust system ( which I believe would have the exhaust button on the console ), On the standard drive mode the exhaust sound is very average, in Sport mode it get a bit deeper and enjoyable.
I just want to know if the Sport Exhaust System makes the sound much better? or the difference is not that great?

Sport exhaust makes a HUGE difference in my opinion.

Whether it's worth $2500+ or not, is really based on how much money you can afford to blow
Whatevva is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 01-28-2017, 09:53 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16
I have the Base Model 718 Boxster with Sport Exhaust. There are three distinct sounds. Normal Mode, Sport Exhaust, and Sport Mode. Sport Mode is the loudest (deeper & most enjoyable) and increases the idle RPM from about 800 to 1000. In my opinion the Sport Exhaust Option is worth the price.
Sonny is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 Old 02-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Nitemare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sebastian, Florida
Posts: 7
Garage
I have a manual tran. with a sport button on the consul. When I push it, it sounds like the exhaust gets louder, but I don't have 3 modes, I don't think. I'm a newbie. Can someone tell me what the button does. I read the manual and it says, it goes emotional. What the heck is that????? It doesn't seem to do anything else.
I AutoX and just traded a 2016 MX-5 for the Boxster. Hope I'm not disappointed. The Miata was like a slot car(and under powered). This Boxster is going to take some getting used to, It's so different.
Nitemare is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 02-22-2017, 01:22 PM
Junior Member
 
fjk737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 21
If it fits your budget, I wouldn't pass on it. I've had a chance to hear it and as much as we enjoy the sound of our Boxster, which is not equipped with sport exhaust, we are thinking about a Suncoast add on in the next couple of months.

2017 Carmine Red Macan GTS
2017 Jet Black Metallic Boxster 718S
fjk737 is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 02-23-2017, 07:29 AM
Member
 
Whatevva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 52
I have it and like it, but honestly, it's a LOT of money to pay for sound.
Whatevva is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 02-23-2017, 01:54 PM
Junior Member
 
Nitemare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sebastian, Florida
Posts: 7
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemare View Post
I have a manual tran. with a sport button on the consul. When I push it, it sounds like the exhaust gets louder, but I don't have 3 modes, I don't think. I'm a newbie. Can someone tell me what the button does. I read the manual and it says, it goes emotional. What the heck is that????? It doesn't seem to do anything else.
I AutoX and just traded a 2016 MX-5 for the Boxster. Hope I'm not disappointed. The Miata was like a slot car(and under powered). This Boxster is going to take some getting used to, It's so different.

WOW no reply, huh. Unlike the Mazda Forum, I guess I can't expect any answers. WOW
Nitemare is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 02-23-2017, 02:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemare View Post
WOW no reply, huh. Unlike the Mazda Forum, I guess I can't expect any answers. WOW
Nitemare--do you have Sport Chrono or just sport? I believe the Sport button heightens the throttle responses--not sure about rev-matching.
Gallatin is online now  
post #9 of 16 Old 02-23-2017, 05:57 PM
Junior Member
 
Nitemare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sebastian, Florida
Posts: 7
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
Nitemare--do you have Sport Chrono or just sport? I believe the Sport button heightens the throttle responses--not sure about rev-matching.
I do not have the Sport Chrono, just the sport button. It appears the exhaust gets louder. What kind of response can I expect. I can't tell. I only have 190miles on the car.
Nitemare is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 02-23-2017, 07:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 73
The sport button should give you a slightly quicker throttle response. It also pipes in more intake noise which is what you are hearing. With the manual trans--I am also reading that with the 718 you will get rev-matching on down shifts as well with the Sport button. The Sport button doesn't really do that much with a manual trans. I don't know if this helps. My 718 Boxster is due in early April and it will be the first manual trans Porsche for me. When I test drove the car I could tell slightly the difference between sport and normal mode. My 911 with PDK had sport and sport plus--which I only used occasionally for launch control.
Gallatin is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exhaust Battle - Porsche 718 Cayman S vs. Audi TT RS Lurker 2017+ Porsche 718 Photos And Videos 15 03-07-2017 05:28 AM
Sport Exhaust Sonny Intake And Exhaust 3 11-19-2016 02:39 PM
718 Cayman S Takes On Nurburgring Porsche 718 News 2017+ Porsche 718 News 2 10-31-2016 07:35 PM
Porsche 718 Cayman Roars Through The City Porsche 718 News 2017+ Porsche 718 News 1 04-26-2016 03:27 PM
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman Debuts In Beijing Porsche 718 News 2017+ Porsche 718 News 1 04-25-2016 10:21 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome