So What are Your Must Have Options? - Porsche 718 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 05-05-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So What are Your Must Have Options?

I am really interested in the new 718 (base model), and having spent time comparing features at the local dealerships, and an ever-growing ridiculous amount of time configuring the car online, I have come to the conclusion that I really don't require any options! Contrary to previous models, even the base seats are comfortable, the base steering wheel looks and feels nice, and even the base 18" rims look decent. If were going to check off a few options, I would probably reach more for comfort and style options, versus performance, as the car seems to perform extremely well right out of the box, and many of the roads around here are not in the best condition.

That said, here is what I would be leaning toward:

• Guards Red (or potentially White) with Black Interior - I love these primary colors!
  • Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest - Ridiculously overpriced, but this little detail brings out the wheels!
  • Supplemental Safety Bars in Aluminum Look - Looks great against Guards Red
  • Sport Tailpipes in Silver - Again - way over priced, but looks so much better than the single wide outlet
  • Light Design Package - Brighten up the black interior at night
  • Seat Heating - I need any help I can get to extend the season here!
  • Seat Ventilation - It gets hot in Summer, and this should take the scorch out of the black interior
  • Smoking Package - A 12V Power Outlet with a retractable cover - It's also free
  • Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell - Not sure what I need this for right now, but it's also free.
  • Porsche Experience Center Delivery (Atlanta) - A must have experience if you prefer to pick it up stateside - Also $0

This brings me to a somewhat affordable $61,210 for my pretty basic model. I struggle a bit with this, as if I wait a few years to pick one up CPO, I wouldn't expect to find one for much less than $45k. Sure, it may have a few more options, but this is everything I really want.

What are your must have options and why?

Future 718 Owner
post #2 of 19 Old 05-05-2017, 11:11 PM

For me I suppose the must have options are:
Sports Seats - much better support than the standard seats, especially on corners.

Sports chrono - with the various driving modes (normal, sport, sport plus, individual) it makes driving much more fun. The normal mode is great for driving slowly around town. The sport mode is great for driving quickly on regular roads. The sport plus is great for track use. This option makes the car much more versatile. ALso you get other extras like dynamic engine mounts, etc.

Heated seats/steering wheel - it gets cold in the winter!

GT steering wheel - the smaller size is a better fit for me (and it looks cool)

Those are probably the only must haves. I got other options as well, but they weren't must haves - they were just nice extras.

Current:
2017 718 Cayman S
2008 987 Cayman S

Previous:
2001 986 Boxster
post #3 of 19 Old 05-06-2017, 06:28 AM

My previous 981 Boxster S was Guards Red & if you go ahead you might also want to consider the option of the Guards Red seat belts as I had fitted to that car. They look fantastic because of the matching colour & really lift the interior. I'd also not overlook the Porsche crest embossed on the headrests either. Neither of those options are particularly expensive (certainly by Porsche standards) & I feel they are worth finding the relatively little extra money for.

post #4 of 19 Old 05-06-2017, 07:58 AM

I ordered my 718 Boxster in Guards Red with Luxor Beige interior and red top. My only option was the Sport Exhaust. No regrets.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-06-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
You sound like me - very minimal in the options! So I have to ask, do you find yourself using the sport exhaust much? I've watched plenty of videos, however, I am not sure if I would require it, as it seems to change tone quite a bit just going into sport mode with the standard exhaust. This is one option I find myself waffling back and forth on. I am planning a trip to the ATL PEC in June, so I m sure that I will be able to experience this feature there in order to make a better decision.

Future 718 Owner
post #6 of 19 Old 05-06-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daschtick View Post
You sound like me - very minimal in the options! So I have to ask, do you find yourself using the sport exhaust much? I've watched plenty of videos, however, I am not sure if I would require it, as it seems to change tone quite a bit just going into sport mode with the standard exhaust. This is one option I find myself waffling back and forth on. I am planning a trip to the ATL PEC in June, so I m sure that I will be able to experience this feature there in order to make a better decision.
PASM and PSE have always been mandatory options for me on the Cayman/Boxster platforms. SC may not be necessary on a MT car, but on a PDK car, I would definitely get SC for the launch control capability.

I always get PASM because in normal mode, the ride quality, appearance and handling are all improved. Also, since I always get the 20" wheel upgrade, PASM makes the ride more supple. All Porsches are too quiet and PSE helps to fix that problem. Personally, I wouldn't get a 718 without PSE. I had the 2 way seats in my Cayman GTS and they were fine.

Of course, if $'s are a big issue, none of these options are necessary. A standard paint red Porsche 718 will look and drive like a champ!
post #7 of 19 Old 05-06-2017, 01:50 PM

I've had a sports exhaust on all three of the Porsches I've owned & didn't make the decision to change from a 981 to a 982 (718) until I could get to drive & hear one fitted with a sports exhaust. I find it makes an enormous difference to the sound & in my car equipped with sports chrono & PDK I use the sport setting approximately 95% of the time. Sport setting (not normal or sports +) also gives a pleasing backfire on the overrun. For me the sports exhaust is a must, but tastes vary & you really need to drive one both with & without to make up your own mind. On the + side it is something that can be retrofitted at a later date.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-06-2017, 07:54 PM

Garage
Request the VOICE CONTROL option for $0. Even if you don't think you'd use it...it's $0 but you have to ask for it by name.

Agree that PEC delivery is another great $0 if you are near ATL. Are they doing them in LAX yet?

Also agree that the unfortunately named "smokers package" is worth it for the extra 12V outlet & covered storage again for $0.

For about $160 the larger gas tank is nice, but by no means a "must". Kinda wish I had done the matching seat belts, but they at least can be had from Suncoast.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-06-2017, 10:06 PM

An other "minimalist" here:
On a base (6SP MT) Boxster I got heated seats - because they are just an absolute necessity in Canada, and I do intend to drive it in the winter.
I also got the Connect package, for the Carplay - for the ability to use Apple navigation and Spotify. Not a fan of Apple nav at all, but it's more than nothing. You have to have at least some technology. It's 2017, after all (have "fancy" factory nav on my wife's car - the family hauler)

I also chose the black/bordeaux seats (on a white car) - but that was not necessary. It was the one "luxury" I wanted to afford myself (I know this sounded silly, but anyway...)

Smoker's package for the extra charging socket is also a good free option.

Boxster Base/6SP - status V810
BMW 330e - PHEV
Golf TDI and A3 TDI - getting ready to "meet their maker"
post #10 of 19 Old 05-07-2017, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Great color choice! I have configured mine online in this combo also, but keep finding myself going back to Guards Red. I really like your combo with the red calipers on the Boxster S, but it is not quite worth $12k to me!

Future 718 Owner

Last edited by daschtick; 05-07-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page