So...am I a nerd? - Porsche 718 Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Chilli
  • 1 Post By Chilli
  • 1 Post By photonscience

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-16-2017, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

So...am I a nerd?

Ok this is probably a silly question but what the heck. Let me start with a little background. My two children tell me that I am a nerd because I drive my Boxster with the top down but the windows up. I get "Dad you look like such a nerd with the windows up." According to them it's not "cool" to drive with the windows up. I explained that it cuts down on the wind and that when it is really hot out I do put the windows down. Apparently my explanation is still not good enough. I told them both that they are out of the Will, which didn't get a laugh, but did get an eye role.

Do you drive your Boxster top down with the windows up or down?
post #2 of 9 Old 06-16-2017, 11:31 PM

Garage
I do this on occasion in my MR2 Spyder when I want to reduce wind or noise from traffic at interstate speeds. Although, I don't really care what others think, which also partially explains my MR2!

Future 718 Owner
post #3 of 9 Old 06-17-2017, 12:13 AM

I don't have a Boxster but owned my fair share of convertibles. Your kids are correct. It is not cool to drive with the windows up.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-17-2017, 02:09 AM

If the temperature is above 45 and below 105, it's top down, windows down - that's how we roll.

My wife and daughter don't think I'm a nerd, just crazy.

Incidentally, my daughter thinks her Prius is the best car on the road - clearly she's a victim of bad parenting.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-17-2017, 04:25 AM

With the U.K climate, if you put the windows down each & every time you lowered the roof, then you'd actually get very little usage. The same applies to large parts of the rest of Europe. With myself, if it's not raining then I normally have the roof down & that's even when it's close to freezing (I've owned a great many motorcycles & just like to feel the fresh air). I just whack the heater up on full & shut down all but the dash vents. It gets a bit chilly around my ears & the top of my head, but that's about it. In those conditions if I put the windows down I wouldn't just look cool, I'd look like a flippin' popsicle & not even Chuck Norris would be man enough to attempt that. In any case, when you operate the roof lowering switch the windows drop slightly & which position do the windows assume when the operation is finished? I'll give you a clue, it isn't down.
SoCalS5 likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-18-2017, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Its been an easy decision this past weekend. Top down and windows down--90 degrees I need all the wind I can get. Oh and BTW only 50 miles to go until break in.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-19-2017, 02:28 AM

Only 50 miles to go & you didn't stay out driving? You have a darn sight more patience than I do my friend. I was like a kid in a candy store & wracked up the last few hundred miles I needed in a couple of days. I was so excited about the thought of actually being able to drive it properly that I wouldn't have slept if I was that close. Since it's been run in I've spent a kings ransom on fuel just joy riding. It's been 27-28 celsius here so I've been making the most of an unusually good & long lasting weather spell. Back on the subject of driving it properly, this thing is exceptionally fast & I'm finding I really need to keep a watchful eye on my speed. You'll be behind a vehicle going fairly slowly & when the opportunity arises overtake & practically before you can blink, it's like "oh ****" I'd better hit the brakes & slow down a bit. In real world driving the 982's (718's) are just so much faster than the cars that preceded them & it's really deceptive, so be careful (I knew with my old car that I was going fast because it was howling at me). My wife (jokingly I hope) has even suggested fitting me with one of those electric shock dog collars that were popular a few years ago, just so she can rein me in a bit.
Gallatin likes this.

Last edited by Chilli; 06-19-2017 at 02:32 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-19-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
My wife (jokingly I hope) has even suggested fitting me with one of those electric shock dog collars that were popular a few years ago, just so she can rein me in a bit.
Please Chilli, this is a family site - no kinkiness permitted.

P.S. Love the comment about the car "howling" at you.

I always felt a bit silly driving a relatively punchless car (98x) and making so much noise. Never felt that way in my v10 R8.
Lurker likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-19-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
Only 50 miles to go & you didn't stay out driving? You have a darn sight more patience than I do my friend. I was like a kid in a candy store & wracked up the last few hundred miles I needed in a couple of days. I was so excited about the thought of actually being able to drive it properly that I wouldn't have slept if I was that close. Since it's been run in I've spent a kings ransom on fuel just joy riding. It's been 27-28 celsius here so I've been making the most of an unusually good & long lasting weather spell. Back on the subject of driving it properly, this thing is exceptionally fast & I'm finding I really need to keep a watchful eye on my speed. You'll be behind a vehicle going fairly slowly & when the opportunity arises overtake & practically before you can blink, it's like "oh ****" I'd better hit the brakes & slow down a bit. In real world driving the 982's (718's) are just so much faster than the cars that preceded them & it's really deceptive, so be careful (I knew with my old car that I was going fast because it was howling at me). My wife (jokingly I hope) has even suggested fitting me with one of those electric shock dog collars that were popular a few years ago, just so she can rein me in a bit.
Chilli--ha ha--not so much patience as a massive thunderstorm with hail cut my drive short. Hopefully today will be the day to reach break in, but the weather is again not cooperating. Forecast for the day is thunderstorms with high winds and hail. We even got a Tornado warning a few minutes ago. The car gods are working against me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page