AutoCar - 718 Boxster - Porsche 718 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 05-17-2016, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

AutoCar - 718 Boxster

Seems like they really liked it. Happy to see that they're happy with the 4 pot turbo, and even go as far to say that it accelerates just as fast as the old 6 and it'll be quicker with a PDK dual-clutch automatic trans. "Less Is More"

Quote:
What is it?

You could call this the Porsche Boxster lite. The diet Boxster, if you please. The last time Porsche launched a car powered by an engine this small was 40 years ago; the motor came out of a VW van and went into a thing called a 924. From 2.7 litres of snarling flat six, the Boxster has been downgraded to 2.0 litres of warbling flat four.

Many who have already driven the Boxster S with the 2.5-litre version of this engine have emerged with their admiration for some aspects of this new powerplant under close control. What chance, then, for what is essentially the same car but with the one unquestioned asset of the S engine – its towering punch - removed?

Before we assess that, a quick look at the essential differences between the new 718 Boxster and its S derivative. The S has 50 additional horsepower, thanks not only to that larger engine but also a variable-geometry turbine, although you won’t need to be a maths professor to work out that it is actually the standard car that enjoys the higher specific output.

The S also comes with the same diameter brakes, but slightly thicker front discs, but as the Boxster already has the same braking system as the old Boxster S, it is unlikely to prove deficient in this regard. Boxster Ss come with 19in rims which are optional on the Boxster and have two rear exhaust pipes instead of one, unless you opt for a sports exhaust on your Boxster. And that’s about it, apart, of course, from the £8950 you’ll save if you are able to resist ticking the S box on the configurator.

What's it like?

One should always be very careful when leaping to conclusions, and never more so than when assessing Porsches. More than with any other brand I can think of, it is the modestly specified cars that so often turn out to be preferable.

And so it is again. Any slightly patronising thoughts you may harbour about the diminutive nature of this engine explode at the first prod of the throttle pedal. Small the engine may be, but turbocharged it is too, to provide not only 296bhp but also a fat 280lb ft wad of torque at less than 1950rpm. That’s more torque at less than half the revs – not compared with the previous Boxster but with the previous Boxster S. So despite having gained a few kilos, this new base Boxster accelerates just as fast on 2.0 litres and four cylinders as did the previous Boxster S on 3.4 litres and six cylinders. Add a PDK dual-clutch automatic transmission and it’s actually quicker.

But that’s not the nub of the matter. Far more important than raw data or even raw power in a car like this is the way it is delivered, and here the news is both bad and good. If the eternally optimistically minded among you were hoping Porsche had somehow managed to turn its base-spec engine into something as sharp, sonorous and rev-happy as the old flat six, when it had been unable to do so with the S, you will prtobably be disappointed. This is a turbocharged flat four, and that is precisely how it sounds from idle to limiter.

But it is a sweeter engine than that in the Boxster S. Its voice is less gruff, its power delivery smoother. It seems no less eager to head for the red, and if you play about at low or medium engine speeds on part throttle, it will emit a purposeful and decidedly pleasant burble. No, it won’t silence its detractors and, yes, of course I wish it still had a flat six, but I’d say this engine at least makes up in manners what it loses in power over the S motor.

Happily, the engine also has enough torque for its follow-on benefits to remain intact. It can be used to bring the chassis alive at the flex of a foot rather than first requiring a couple of downchanges, and it still doesn’t feel as overgeared as all previous-generation Boxsters save the Spyder. This remains a fabulous car to drive, offering a riot of entertainment on the right road.

And say what you like about the engine, but it has had the effect of elevating the Boxster into an altogether more senior category of performance. If anyone used to consider the cheapest Boxster the poor relation you’d only buy because you couldn’t afford a proper Boxster, that, emphatically, is no longer the case.

Should I buy one?

If I were in the market for a car like this, I’d value the 718 Boxster's considerably lower price and more melodious engine above the extra slug of power that seems to be the only substantive advantage offered by the Boxster S. In the world of Porsche sports cars, less is more once again.

Remember, too, that whatever the limitations of the new engine, they have no effect on the Boxster’s position in its class. It was the most desirable car in its category with six cylinders and so it remains with four, regardless of whether there is a little 'S' on the bootlid or not.

Porsche 718 Boxster

Location Pitlochry, Scotland; On sale Now; Price £41,739; Engine 4 cyls, 1988cc, turbo, petrol; Power 296bhp at 6500rpm; Torque 280lb ft at 1950-4500rpm; Gearbox 6-spd manual; Kerb weight 1410kg; 0-62mph 5.1sec (4.9sec with PDK); Top speed 170mph; Economy 38.2mpg (combined); CO2/tax band 168g/km, 30%
post #2 of 15 Old 05-18-2016, 10:47 AM

Yes it accelerates as good or even better than the 6, but those really specific about what they want in a Porsche will analyze how it feels compared to the 6, possibly not liking how it feels getting up to a specific MPH/KMh. Don't be surprised if some guys end up buying a used Cayman instead of going for this new model year.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-18-2016, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

That is true. The 6 on the big end would definitely have a great pull in the top range rpm band.

post #4 of 15 Old 05-21-2016, 10:35 PM

There's a lot of angry people out there who are writing off the 718 Boxster because of the engine change, mostly for the sound, even thought it is the "most desirable car in its category".

As for the pull at high rpm, a lot of torque is already delivered before you've even hit the mid rpm range so I assume you won't get all that much more pull if you decide to red line it.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-25-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte View Post
There's a lot of angry people out there who are writing off the 718 Boxster because of the engine change, mostly for the sound, even thought it is the "most desirable car in its category".

As for the pull at high rpm, a lot of torque is already delivered before you've even hit the mid rpm range so I assume you won't get all that much more pull if you decide to red line it.
I think for a lot of them its a matter of hearing it in person. Heard from a reviewer that it sounds much better in person than in videos and my impression of it through video was GOOD.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-28-2016, 02:39 PM

I really want to hear one of these in person. You can never get the full feel of the sound from videos. As for rpm, really gotta look at the specs and see where it hits peak torque and horsepower
post #7 of 15 Old 05-31-2016, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

@Justin , I agree completely. It's only a matter of time until someone puts one of these bad boys on the dyno
post #8 of 15 Old 07-23-2016, 11:27 AM

Charlotte this was my experience and one of the great losses of 'feel' that my hour with the 718 suffered.
In a weirdly metaphorical way -- too much too early can rob one of a greater satisfaction later on
post #9 of 15 Old 07-25-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

There's not much to anticipate, gotta love having a torque curve where you can feel the momentum build up
post #10 of 15 Old 07-27-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensoWerks View Post

Charlotte this was my experience and one of the great losses of 'feel' that my hour with the 718 suffered.
In a weirdly metaphorical way -- too much too early can rob one of a greater satisfaction later on
From the sounds of it I would be quite content with that power without even going close to red line since most of my time driving will be on the street and highway. So as you can imagine on busy streets it's hard to hit those higher RPM's but on the highway you do have those random opportunities to got WOT.
Gallatin likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page