PCM 4.0 Software Update - Porsche 718 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-27-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
PCM 4.0 Software Update

Just received word from the Porsche dealer that there is a PCM update available for my Boxster :-) Apparently it takes a couple hours to install. They'll be installing it next week for me. I'll report back when it's done.
post #2 of 7 Old 10-28-2016, 01:08 PM

Thanks for letting us know. Found this, not too sure if it'll be of any use to you

Porsche iManual | 2017 -
post #3 of 7 Old 11-01-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just picked up my Boxster after having the PCM 4.0 software update installed at the dealer. I've only had a few minutes to test it out, but so far at least these things are fixed:

1. iPod interface now works as advertised. I'm using a 160GB iPod classic connected via USB in the glove box.
2. Phone number preset blocks on My Screen now seem to remember the phone numbers.
3. It looks like they added some more blocks for configuring My Screen.
4. It looks like they added first class support for a 2nd cell phone connection.

Things that don't appear to have been addressed:

1. The scrollbar is still ridiculously thin and very difficult to grab. The scrollbar really needs to be at least 1/2" wide so you can easily grab it and scrub through big lists.
2. Long press on the voice control button on the turn signal stalk still doesn't activate Siri via bluetooth.

Will update more after I've had more time to experiment.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-02-2016, 02:52 PM

Question as you go through and experiment. How long does it take for your music to register and how smooth is scrolling through the songs? Any lagging?
post #5 of 7 Old 11-06-2016, 01:46 PM

Odd that Siri still doesn't work. Has it been enabled in the settings of the iPhone you are using?
post #6 of 7 Old 11-07-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Justin, I'm using a 160GB iPod classic with approximately 19k songs on it. It doesn't take too long to build the library and I would say scrolling is very smooth without much noticeable lag. It really starts playing very quickly. I'll unplug it and plug it back in to see exactly how long it takes, but it didn't It's not COMPLETELY smooth, but very smooth and usable. I actually find trying to scroll large distances using the touch screen somewhat frustrating and have been using the right knob to scroll and select more recently. I don't have a multi-function steering wheel and find using the MFI with the steering wheel stalk to navigate large lists also a bit frustrating. These are pretty minor complaints, however. I'm actually really happy with how my iPod is working.

Charlotte, Siri is working fine when I have my phone plugged in for CarPlay. But, when I hop in the car for a quick trip many times I just want to leave my iPhone in my pocket. It would be nice if I could still activate Siri to make phone calls or control bluetooth streaming music in this case.

Generally speaking, this software update is a big win. :-)
post #7 of 7 Old 11-08-2016, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
This morning I paid attention to how long it took to create the database for my 160GB iPod. It was approximately 2 minutes.

I also did experience a glitch this morning. I was listening to a playlist it the display kept jumping around and reloading the current playlist. The MFD in the dash, which has been working better since the update with less jumping around, would get stuck so you couldn't change songs when this was happening. Then it moved to the next song and seemed to clear up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page