DIY Oil Change - Porsche 718 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 01-28-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

DIY Oil Change

Has anyone done a DIY oil and filter change on a 718? I would like to know if it is similar to an oil change on a 987 or 981. Is access to the filter and drain plug more difficult? Thanks.
post #2 of 21 Old 02-01-2017, 11:49 AM

I would like to know the answer to this also. Maybe no-one has accumulated enough miles to justify an oil change???

I'm still at 600 miles.

...and Loving it!
Cayman S, 6 speed, Rhodium Silver Metallic, BOSE, NAV, 20" Carrera S wheels, Connect Plus, Premium Pkg. 14-way, PSE, colored center caps

Last edited by agent 86; 02-01-2017 at 11:55 AM.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-01-2017, 06:37 PM

Its going to be a bit slow in seeing DIY'ers this time around since unlike the Cayman/Boxster as we knew it attracted more of that crowd. 718 attracts more of the take it to the dealer crowd - not that there's anything wrong with that.

post #4 of 21 Old 02-01-2017, 09:58 PM

4 months and I'm still at 280 miles.... I just don't feel like I want it to get dirty..lol
Shark likes this.
post #5 of 21 Old 02-03-2017, 02:15 PM

4 months and 280 miles ?! What are the occasions when you drive it haha ?!
bobskibo likes this.
post #6 of 21 Old 02-03-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobskibo View Post
4 months and I'm still at 280 miles.... I just don't feel like I want it to get dirty..lol
I know what you mean and having paint protection and other types of protection done to trim, tires, etc. is a good way to start. Then just follow that up with simple washes and you'll be in the clear for a long time to come.

Hopefully you have thought about that by now! Best thing for any owner of a new vehicle to be doing.
post #7 of 21 Old 02-03-2017, 10:23 PM

Yes, I have full front XPEL and applied rim protection. I live in the east coast and roads have salt everywhere. I'll wait till spring to drive it. In the meantime, it is under wraps inside the garage with the trickle charger connected...can't wait till spring
post #8 of 21 Old 02-05-2017, 01:10 AM

Ah that makes much more sense. I tend to forget the conditions outside which is why this stunned me so much. I apologize lol. Any reason for only doing the front in XPEL ?
post #9 of 21 Old 02-05-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobskibo View Post
Yes, I have full front XPEL and applied rim protection. I live in the east coast and roads have salt everywhere. I'll wait till spring to drive it. In the meantime, it is under wraps inside the garage with the trickle charger connected...can't wait till spring
What kind of protection is available for rims, and what doe it cost? Although, if the cost is similar to paint protection, I probably
don't want to know.

...and Loving it!
Cayman S, 6 speed, Rhodium Silver Metallic, BOSE, NAV, 20" Carrera S wheels, Connect Plus, Premium Pkg. 14-way, PSE, colored center caps
post #10 of 21 Old 02-07-2017, 12:58 PM

I really don't think there's much more that you can do for rims other than applying some sort of sealant to it to "decrease" the amount of brake dust that can stick to it and what not. There are options out there that make cleaning wheels much much easier but I don't think there's any wrap of the sort.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page