Which Transmission Did You Choose? - Porsche 718 Forum
View Poll Results: Which Transmission Did You Choose?
Manual 7 43.75%
PDK 9 56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-01-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Which Transmission Did You Choose?

We Have a poll on engine choice--why not have one on transmission choice. I chose the MT because I don't us the car as a DD and I enjoy the driving dynamics of a MT. Honestly--it has been a while since I owned a MT and I am really enjoying it.
post #2 of 12 Old 06-01-2017, 08:46 AM

I chose manual because I plan to use it as a DD and I enjoy driving MT. Even in Toronto traffic. Also - lap times is not an issue for me, so no need for PDK.
I do plan on going to all sorts of driving schools, but don't think those count as "tracking your car".
With the exception of relatively short period, some 15 years ago, I always drove MT.
Heck - when I decided to finally get the convertible I dreamt of - I was "stuck" (first world problems...) with only 2 choices: BMW M240 and Porsche Boxster.
These were the only 2 cars that ticked all the boxes on the conditions list.

Boxster Base/6SP - status V810
BMW 330e - PHEV
Golf TDI and A3 TDI - getting ready to "meet their maker"

Last edited by winter.zed; 06-01-2017 at 08:47 AM. Reason: work edited out by automated board-nannies....
post #3 of 12 Old 06-01-2017, 09:05 AM

I drove a manual for most of my driving life. From high school up till we had a kid. I got rid of my manual sports car when my son was born (~8 years ago) and have been dreaming of the day I can finally get back into a MT 2 seater. I won't be driving it in bad weather or on long trips, so MT made the mode sense. I was super rusty on the test drives, didn't even attempt to heel toe it. I found that when I short shifted I always seemed to pick right when the turbos decided to spool up... made the shifts super rough. I guess I'll have to relearn how to drive smoothly.

Cheers!

post #4 of 12 Old 06-01-2017, 09:14 AM

PDK all the way

I chose the PDK because it is the best dual-clutch transmission on the market. No regrets.

Was changing my own gears for 15+ years. While undoubtedly fun, it is tiring at times.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-01-2017, 10:43 AM

PDK, for a number of reasons:
- Left knee is deteriorating due to an old soccer injury (can't ride sportbikes anymore because of it)
- PDK is one of the best ATs around
- Makes for a quicker car
- Chrono Pack has more value with PDK
- Resale value (this is a minor reason)

There are a few others. I, too, was an all-manual guy until my last two cars, to the point where the one SUV I bought had a manual (a Jeep). While I appreciate them and totally understand the allure in a performance car, IMHO they are obsolete for most applications -- I forsee a time in the very near future when most manufacturers that still offer a manual will have an upcharge for a manual instead of the other way around.

-- Life is a journey made more exciting with a fast car. --
-- Helmets are for closers. --
-- Death to all who chrome! --
OTW: "Blackened" '18 NBM 718 Cayman, audio mods TBD
post #6 of 12 Old 06-01-2017, 01:40 PM
crk

PDK for me i sold my 912 after 10.5 years to fund the Cayman. Not fun driving a manual in traffic and 90* weather i must be getting old my X1BMW will be the DD.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-01-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
I forsee a time in the very near future when most manufacturers that still offer a manual will have an upcharge for a manual instead of the other way around.
Agree with that. I think MT will just go the way of the carburetor or air-cooling (latter may hurt feelings around here).
That's exactly why I'm getting one while I can. This will probably be my last MT car
But same goes for IC engines too. They will be gone in fairly short order too. And that will make the discussion of what transmission purely "academical".
Viffermike likes this.

Boxster Base/6SP - status V810
BMW 330e - PHEV
Golf TDI and A3 TDI - getting ready to "meet their maker"
post #8 of 12 Old 06-02-2017, 06:21 AM

I had my fling with autoboxes and they are certainly more efficient than I am at shifting, but I don't care. The 718 manual that I have in my BS is so good that I would find the car to be far less fun with the more efficient PDK.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-02-2017, 07:23 AM

I've previously had a manual Porsche & there no denying the gearbox was great. I'd also prior to that had twin clutch boxes on a couple of cars (AUDI & a VW). I'd returned to manual though because I quite simply preferred it & it was more fun. The thing is once I tried a PDK box that all changed & that's why I went for another with my current car (718S). The box is just so quick & smooth & I simply don't find it any less fun. I really enjoy using the paddles to change gear on twisty roads & then when on a long run I leave it in full auto & let the box do everything. Sometimes I'll have it in Auto but override it with the paddles when an S bend comes up, then a few seconds later it returns to auto. I absolutely love it & think it's superb & I wouldn't ever go back to a manual in a Porsche, though in any alternative vehicle I'd probably consider it. Truth be told I don't think you can really go far wrong with either option (certainly not in a Boxster or Cayman S).
post #10 of 12 Old 06-06-2017, 07:54 PM

Fifth Porsche, from 944, to 964, 1956 Speedster, 997....all manual transmissions. But this 718 Cayman S, got it finally 4 days ago, is PDK, and I have absolutely no regret. After 800km, I think it is hassle free when I need in heavy traffic, and very sporty using paddles or the stick (sequential like). Also, being able to individualize my preferred mode is great. Mine is: "sport +" selected, sport exhaust, autostop off, spoiler out :-).
Shark and l1ttletee like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page