Porsche 718 Forum banner

Welcome to 718forum.com - please post an introduction!

152K views 1K replies 416 participants last post by  EliasElias 
#1 ·
Welcome to 718forum.com - The best and friendliest Porsche 718 Forum! As a new member please take a moment to introduce yourself to the community.

#110 ·
Hello from Southwest Michigan

Hi all. I am glad to have found this forum!

I am a Porsche "old-timer" with a new toy. I took delivery of my 2019 Cayman GTS in early November this past year. With the weather cooperating more now, I drove it for the third and forth times yesterday and today with the end game being to experience what the car is like beyond 4000 RPM.

I bought my first Porsche in 1986--a 'not-quite-stock' 1970 914-6. Over the years, it has become more 'not-quite-stock.' My second Porsche was a very original 1970 914-6 purchased in the early '90s. And then the Boxster came out. My wife told me that I could not have three Porsches, so I sold the second 914-6 (fortunately, to my brother--he still has it and is reaping the benefits of it's increased value!). I bought the 1998 Boxster and owned it for a few years before deciding to sell it. And now I am jumping back in with the CGTS with plans for trips (driving), DE events, maybe autocrosses, PCA events and just general driving pleasure.

I can tell from the posts that I have read that the people belonging to this forum are generally passionate, thoughtful, caring and respectful. I look forward to making contributions to this community when I have the chance.

#111 ·
After years of drooling, loads of research, and seemingly eternal waiting, the Blue Streak finally arrived. 2017 CPO BS, PDK (so my loving Bride can enjoy too), PASM, 20” Carerra S Wheels, etc. Sold my last Porsche (Silver ‘75 914 2.0L) in 1984. Thus, I’m no spring chicken…but apparently still great at causing 6-cylinder purists to gnash their teeth J

Blue Streak’s intended purpose is basically track time...no racing…track time. In 1975, as an A&M undergrad, I quickly learned the Texas World Speedway (RIP) night watchman would pretty much allow any yayhoo to run all night for a case of Schlitz. Pretty sure most responsible students had less fun and made fewer lifelong friends than I did while pulling those TWS (RIP) “all nighters”…mostly in a roommate’s Jensen Healy, random girlfriend’s Alfa Spider, and to a lesser extent, another friends Toyota Celica (oh the inhumanity). Wished I’d had it then, but the 914 was acquired post-graduation.

Many, many, many thanks to everyone on this forum! I’m fairly (okay…overly to a fault) analytical. Thus, 718Forum’s “collective” knowledge, opinions, facts, and angst made this belated retirement decision (my gift to me) so much easier than it would have been without you all (originally thought I “needed” a 911S). I look forward to learning more about this new steed, but more importantly, I look forward to getting to know each of you in the near future.

Cheers!

Attachments

#113 ·
Hello all, I live in NH. I work as a creative director and UX lead. I have built and owned more cars than I can count. Just sold my 997 and purchased a 718S PDK.

The sun just poked out so time to hit the road.

#115 ·
Better late than never...

Hi All! Been a member since last year but waited way too long for introduction...

I joined the forum shortly after acquiring a slightly used (<350 mi) '17 718B base 6MT - Rhodium Silver w/ Navy Blue top - last year. This is my second Porsche, having had a 5th owner, very well used, '97 Boxster - Arena Red. Is sooo amazing how much refinement has occurred with the Boxster models since their original introduction.

Anyhow, very much enjoy this forum. It helped me get thru the winter blues with my car in storage!

Attachments

#121 ·
Hello! New member and new owner from Oklahoma. Picked up our '17 Boxster S with 2500 miles on it in Dallas yesterday. We had been watching the weather all week, knew we were going to have a little rain to deal with. Didn't realize just how much though. Glad to report that the Boxster works well as a boat too... :)

Had a good "get to know you" drive from Dallas to Tulsa, fortunately the rain stopped about an hour into it and we had some dry stretches of road to see what the Boxster will do.

Attachments

#124 ·
Hi everyone,

So we've had our 718 Boxster for less than a month now, so I am a bit late to the introductions. But, here is our new carriage in the rain. She is a 718 Boxster (base) in Racing Yellow, purchased with ~7200 miles (it was an executive demo). I have already learned a tremendous amount from this forum--probably too much for my own good and sanity. I look forward to learning even more from everyone!

Attachments

#126 ·
Thought I would say hello even though I am still waiting on my Cayman which should arrive some time in July. Have driven a couple of Caymans and 911s over the last few years but this will be my first time actually owning a Porsche, so I'm counting down the days like a kid waiting for Christmas (at least clearing the garage gives me something to occupy the time)!

Glad to find this forum as it seems a lot nicer and more 718-friendly (of course) than PH or even PCGB. Hopefully all goes to plan and I can share my future experiences here without naysayers chiming in with "oh but it sounds like a Subaru" or such rubbish...

#131 ·
Hello from Canada! Just wanted to say hi as I continue to lurk here and discuss my new dream car(s); 718 spyder or the GT4, I'm having a very hard time deciding this time around. Previously it was the 981 Spyder but the GT4 this time has all the stuff I would have wanted over the previous gen. Still, I'm hoping one day soon I'll be able to get into either one of these awesome machines. I can't wait for the models to come to North America with the particulate filter off, so we can really hear how this new engine sounds!

#132 · (Edited)
Greetings all! Glad to be joining you from Eastern Pennsylvania!

Have had the car, a 2018 718 Cayman base, for a year now, and could not be happier. 6M with just a few perks: Premium package w/ two-tone-ventilated 14-way seats, NAV, PDLS, and Enter&Drive, and it's just how I like it - simplicity.

It was originally meant to be shared between my wife and I, but as I was warned, that didn't work out so well. So last month, we added a low-miles 2010 Boxster S to the stable for her. Life is good.

I was somewhere in my mid-teens when my older cousin pulled up to our house in her brand new red Porsche 944. It was breathtaking, just sitting there. I caught the bug right then and there, and it's taken the better part of five decades to put a Porsche of my own in the driveway. But good things are worth waiting for...how ironic that it's a 4-cylinder, albeit a bit better at it's job than her 944's ;).

Along the way, I've owned a '72 Opel GT, a '77 VW Scirocco, an '85 Honda CRX-Si, a '90 Acura Integra and an '05 Mazda-3 2.3; all leading up to the ultimate prize. The ones that stand out are, for looks, the '72 Opel GT: wooden steering wheel, hide-away headlights, and that body. The car was a little sex bomb, for sure. For all around fun, the '85 CRX-Si. Next to my Cayman, that little buggy was more fun to drive as anything I've ever driven.

It seems like I learn something new about this car every time I drive it. Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Cheers.

(edit: add photos).
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Supercar
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Supercar Sports car

#134 ·
Hi everyone, writing from the San Francisco Bay Area. Purchased a 2017 Boxster S with 12K miles on it last Saturday. Nicely optioned PDK with sport chrono, sports exhaust, sport plus seats, a few other features. Traded in my beloved 997.2 Carrera (C2) that only had 26,000 miles, which I feared I might regret letting go of. But after a week I am all-in on the 718 with absolutely no regret. Found a new love!

Previously had an '09 Boxster, which I traded in for the 911, and I missed having a mid-engine roadster ever since. This 718 has the best of both and so much more. It is just phenomenal - the torque, the handling, modern tech, sexy form, even the comfort. Together with a '19 GLC43 AMG SUV I picked up at the beginning of the year, I feel truly blessed with my dream garage. Look forward to learning from this community and sharing in the joy of these amazing 718's!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Convertible Porsche boxster

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Motor vehicle

Attachments

#136 ·
Hi fellow members!

I am happy to join the 718 community, learn from your experience and share mine. I have had a few Porsches before (996, Cayman R, 997.1 GT3, 991.1 S in the US, 987.1 S in Belgium) and have recently got my 2006 Cayman S totalled at the top the of Raidillon in Spa. I will probably start a Journal at some point and explain more about this unfortunate accident for those who could be interested...

Anyway, the need for a newer car was itching for a while, so being unharmed and insured did not make it too sad if it wasn't to see my well maintained 987 destroyed.
I love 911s but Belgian taxes are a bit of a deterrent and I chose to go for a more modest weekend car. Also, I wanted to go for a used -but modern- car and a base 718 seemed the most logical and rational decision. Graphite Blue was my colour of choice and with this in mind, I started to go through German listings of used 718 (lot more choice and much cheaper than in Belgium).
I found one from 2017 with only 22,000 km not too far in Köln and picked it up a few weeks ago. The car has a few comfort or fancy features but no PASM neither PSE which turns out to be OK even though I had good experience with these options on some of my previous Porsches. Transmission is PDK which I like; since the 991/981 generation, I find it just as good as a manual, but I understand that some stay faithful to a MT.

Here is a first pic of my new toy.

Looking forward to spend time on the 718 Forum !

#138 ·
Thanks, you have a great taste in cars and colours too ?
I actually relocated back to Belgium two years ago after a decade spent in the US which I now consider my second home country (my two older sons stayed there when I left and are on the path of dual citizenship...). So many clichés in Europe about the US from people who have not been there and experienced the country, its people and its diversity! Not to mention the fact that is the best place is the world for petrolheads ?