Porsche 718 Forum banner

Welcome to 718forum.com - please post an introduction!

152K views 1K replies 416 participants last post by  EliasElias 
#1 ·
Welcome to 718forum.com - The best and friendliest Porsche 718 Forum! As a new member please take a moment to introduce yourself to the community.

#4 ·
This is my first post and in the venture of full disclosure, I have virtually no experience with Porsche's of any kind other than driving against them on the track. My wife is looking to buy a convertible and we attended a Cars and Coffee at a local Porsche dealership. She drove a 2016 Boxter and really liked it. It certainly holds a lot of promise compared to others that we have driven. This past weekend we both had the chance to drive the 718 Boxster S that the dealer just got in for demo use. It had the excellent handling that I expected and certainly enough power to be fun. The BOSE system sounded really good and worth the $990, although I have to get past the sticker shock of Porsche options compared to American car option costs. The Apple Car play worked well and the seats were excellent.

We still have have some more cars to look at and drive as more 2017 models are released. The 718 will be at the top of the list and will be the car the others will be compared against. I do hope to learn more about this car from others on this forum as time goes on. In the end it will be my wife's decision as the car will be her daily driver. Thanks in advance for your patience.

#5 ·
Placed Order August 1

Hello all. New to the site but long time Porsche owner. Sold my 2013 981 Boxster a year ago for a 2013 Carrera S cab PDK. Really missed the 6 speed and lightness of the Boxster so the 911 is gone and I sit and wait. Ordered free white/black top/agate gray interior /sport exhaust/ sport seats/sport suspension/black wheels and not a lot else. Looks like November delivery. I've had 2000,2003,2008, 2013 and now the 2017 Boxster. All great cars on the street and track.

#6 ·
Hi
I am a new member. I sold my 911 SC 3.0. I enjoyed the flat 6, but even if the 911 oldtimer prices go up, I cannot afford a new 991. So I tested the new 718 and I've been impressed by the first run. That car is agile, powerful, precise and very funny to drive.... Plenty of people are reluctant to the 718 4 cylinders engine, but most of them did not practise it :)

#7 ·
Introduction

Glad the 718forum exists and happy to be a member. I traded a 2012 Boxster for a new red 2 liter 718 with manual transmission. My 718 was ordered on 6/30/16 and expected delivery is early November. I am retired live in Arizona and participate in the Performance Driving Program at local race tracks.

#10 ·
Hi Everyone,

I bought a 718 Boxster off the lot a couple weeks ago. My first Porsche and I love it. I was ready to order an S with a manual and some other options, but after test driving the base with PDK, it's so quick and the PDK is so good that I pulled the trigger. I'm coming from an Audi S5 Convertible supercharged V6 with DSG. It's Jet Black Metallic with beige interior, premium plus, sport seats, Bose, nav, connect plus, 20" wheels. Personally, I think the engine sounds great, though admittedly I have no experience with the previous flat 6. I like the growl of the turbo 4 and it really pulls over 2000 rpm. When driving around town, I can almost never wind out the gears, so I really like having an engine that delivers lots of torque. In sport mode, the engine really begs you to push it hard and basically won't shift if it's not going to keep you in the power band. IMO turbo lag is virtually non-existent. There are times when you can feel it, but it's really not a problem. My only issue with the power delivery is that sometimes if you're in slow-moving traffic and not in sport mode and you want to quickly accelerate and change lanes, it lags a bit when you step on the gas, which can be a little disconcerting. I just quickly hit the sport button before making such maneuvers and the problem goes away. The S5 is fast, but doesn't feel nearly as quick or agile even in dynamic mode. You put your foot down and your at 100mph before you know it. I'm excited to get it on a race track.

My biggest complaint is that the PCM software doesn't seem completely finished. The iPod interface basically doesn't work. It will only play whatever was playing on the iPod before plugging it in. The navigation UI never comes up with my iPod classic or iPod touch. My car didn't have the $0 voice control option, which is a bummer. I know voice control is mostly terrible in all cars, but I can usually get it to call my wife, which is mostly what I'd use it for anyway. Also, because no voice control, the voice control button doesn't activate Siri either via CarPlay or bluetooth, which is also a real bummer. After using CarPlay, it feels a little odd to use the 8 mode buttons below the display. The touchscreen is so good, the PCM should all be done on the touchscreen IMO.

So far I haven't been super impressed by the Connect Plus features. Google search works well, and I suppose Google earth & street view could be useful, but the rest of it, not so much. The only 2 streaming music apps are radio.net and napster. I suppose some people use them, but it would be nice to have Apple Music, Spotify and Pandora. It's also weird that I have to connect my phone to the car using wifi in order to get Porsche Connect apps even though there's already a bluetooth connection, though I suppose it's not too different from requiring a wired connection to use CarPlay. Hopefully we'll get wireless CarPlay at some point. Also w.r.t. Porsche Car Connect, locking and unlocking doors is fine, but I want to be able to control the windows and top in case of unexpected weather changes.

I had a SmartTOP controller for my Audi, which worked pretty well. I'm thinking about getting one for my Boxster also. I don't really have a problem holding the switch while the top goes up or down, but it's weird that the windows go half way down, then back up after the top is down. I almost never want that and I think the SmartTOP can be programmed to behave differently. The user should just be able to configure the windows up or down when putting the top down. And the SmartTOP will allow putting the top up/down from the remote.

Rumor has it there's going to be a PCM software update in October that will hopefully fix some of these issues. And maybe someone will figure out how to fix the rest of them via coding (like the disabled voice control). The annoyances are really minor and have nothing to do with the driving experience, but I am hoping to see the infotainment tech improve.

Anyway, I love the car. It's so much fun to drive and I'm excited chat with fellow enthusiasts.

#11 ·
I wonder if the window position when lowering the top is temperature driven like it was on my Z4. When is was cool outside the windows would roil up, a little warmer and half way, and over say 80, they would stay all the way down. It was a nice feature, although I never agreed with the positions :D

#12 ·
Hello everyone!

I've never owned a Porsche, but I'm anxious to get back into a manual transmission and a more track-focused sports car.

I think the comments about "finally a Porsche I can afford" are funny, since my 718 Cayman S as built is $97,000 and change! I guess you could get away with a cheaper build, but I'm going all in on the car.

My sports car history is basically 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35i, 2013 Scion FRS Manual, 2015 STi Launch Editiion, 2015 Lexus RC350 F Sport and 2015 Lexus RC-F (current daily driver that I'm selling.)

I've always been intrigued by Porsche's and interested to see why their customers are so fiercely loyal to the brand. Since I will be paying nearly $100k for a 4 cylinder car, my expectations are fairly high.

Anyway, I do love my Lexus RC-F and the bark of it's NA V-8 is nothing short of astounding. But, I really like going to HPDE's at my local track, and the RC-F is just too damned heavy. I'm tired of getting burned by Porsche's!

My Lexus should be sold this weekend, and I will submit my order for my Mahogany Metallic 718 Cayman S manual, all the performance goodies, and PCCB's as well. Cheers!

#198 ·
Hello everyone!

I've never owned a Porsche, but I'm anxious to get back into a manual transmission and a more track-focused sports car.

I think the comments about "finally a Porsche I can afford" are funny, since my 718 Cayman S as built is $97,000 and change! I guess you could get away with a cheaper build, but I'm going all in on the car.

My sports car history is basically 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35i, 2013 Scion FRS Manual, 2015 STi Launch Editiion, 2015 Lexus RC350 F Sport and 2015 Lexus RC-F (current daily driver that I'm selling.)

I've always been intrigued by Porsche's and interested to see why their customers are so fiercely loyal to the brand. Since I will be paying nearly $100k for a 4 cylinder car, my expectations are fairly high.

Anyway, I do love my Lexus RC-F and the bark of it's NA V-8 is nothing short of astounding. But, I really like going to HPDE's at my local track, and the RC-F is just too damned heavy. I'm tired of getting burned by Porsche's!

My Lexus should be sold this weekend, and I will submit my order for my Mahogany Metallic 718 Cayman S manual, all the performance goodies, and PCCB's as well. Cheers!

#15 ·
Hello All,

Picked my new Cayman 718S in November and so far have been impressed with the car. I have own four previous Porsches: new 2011 Cayman S, new 2015 Cayman, used 2001 Boxster S, and a used 2006 Boxster S, so thought that I would miss the flat six "Howl," but was pleasantly surprised with the flat turbo four "Growl." The performance is amazing both in Normal and Sport mode. This is my first PDK and everything was great until last week, when it missed a couple of shifts and the car lurched a few times. The codes were scanned and it reported a couple bad clutch pressure sensors. Schedule to go back to dealer. Love the new options: Lane Change Assist, Backup Camera, Keyless Start, and Apple Car Play.

Attachments

#16 ·
Owner of a 718S Boxster which arrived in July '16. Pretty much loaded it up. GT Silver with Agate interior. Only 1500 miles this last season so awaiting spring. Will be taking back to dealer for some issues with drivetrain backlash that you can hear when it shifts (PDK) from 3rd to 2nd without a load on the tranny. Heated steering wheel doesn't seem to get past slightly warm and ventilated seats that don't feel cool on a hot day. Other than that WOW, this is really a change from my '06 Boxster S. Still trying to get used lack of howl but the sport exhaust does offer slight compensation.

#18 ·
Hi Guys. Newbie here. Just bought a 718 Boxster S. Love it. Traded my 2016 Miata MX-5. This is now my new AutoX race car. I have had 3 MX-5's for AutoX. This is my first new Porsche. I also have a 2013, 427, collector edition, Henessey, Supercharged Vette., and a 2015 Zo6, vert.. Oh, and a 2016 F150, supercharged PU. I had, at one time long ago, a 714.
..............Bill (Nitemare)

#19 ·
I ordered a Boxster in yellow, with PDK and sports wheel (plus all the Australian standard options). My first Porsche.
I've locked in the configuration for production in early May with delivery??? (whenever it gets on a ship!)

So far the deposit has got me a nice hard-cover brochure :)

Greg

#20 ·
New member. Love my new Cayman 718, can't wait each day to drive it. I just discovered a gas smell inside the passenger compartment however and very strong odor inside and out. I just picked up the car two months ago. Bringing car to dealer on Monday. Reading some online conversations about the issue now.

#22 ·
Hi everybody! I have been driving BMWs for the past 16 years. I was very close to getting a Porsche Cayman 1.5 years ago, but BMW made me an offer on a M4 coupe that I couldn't resist. They just make it so easy to get out of one BMW and into another when you lease. Don't get me wrong, the M4 is a great car, but I'm getting the Porsche itch again. As it turns out, my husband, a former BMW X3 driver, wanted something fun and just got a brand new 718 Cayman in Miami Blue. The car is awesome and try to borrow it from him whenever I can. I have a feeling I may have to order a 718 Boxtser when my lease on the M4 is up. I think Lava Orange would look great next to his Miami Blue in the garage!

#26 ·
Bucket List - Check Off

Greetings everyone.

Finally have found the time to join the forum.

My wife surprised me this past Christmas with my #1 Bucket List item.

2017 718 Cayman S - Guards Red/Black Interior >:D

Options: PASM Sport Suspension (20 mm Lower), PDK. 20" Carrera S Wheels, Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell, Smoking Package (Do not Smoke - like the cover), Bi-Xenon Headlights incl. PDL, Launch vehicle, Navigation Module for Porsche Communication Management (PCM), Bose Surround Sound System, Porsche Connect Plus,
Power Sport Seat (14 way) w/Memory Package, Sport Chrono Package, Wheels Painted in Black i.c.w. 911 Turbo Design Wheels, Sport Exhaust System incl. Sport Tailpipes in Black, Premium Package Plus, Porsche Entry Drive, Automatically Dimming Mirrors with Intergrated Rain Sensor, 2-Zone Automatic Climate Control, Light Design Package, Seat Heating/Ventilation.

Some may be wondering what I did to deserve such a ride. My wife is my best friend for 30 years and she said I was not getting any younger. Did she have any alternative incentives? She got our 2015 Porsche Macan S all to her self. (TIGERSS)

Looking forward to interacting with all the members & enthusiasts.

Thank you.

Attachments

#27 ·
Hi, I've already posted a couple of times & only just noticed this section. I've literally owned dozens of cars over the years (mostly German) & live in the U.K. For the last 8 to 9 years or so, in addition to a daily driver (Currently a BMW 2 Series coupe) my vehicle of choice has come from the Porsche stable. In that time I've owned a manual 987 Cayman S, a PDK 981 Boxster S & now a PDK 718 Boxster S (or 982 if you prefer). For me, apart from the really exotic models the mid engined Porsches are the pick of the Porsche range. My own car is very highly specified, to the extent that options accounted for roughly a third of the price & therefore it's pretty much into 911 territory in terms of cost. The thing is I don't want a 911, I absolutely love the Boxster & the Cayman. I was sorry to see the flat sixes dropped, but the four cylinder turbo models are not without their own significant virtues. The 718 is undoubtedly an overall improvement on the vehicle it replaced & it's great to find a forum with people that actually appreciate it. Losing the six was not the end of the World, despite some of the rubbish that's been written elsewhere. Thanks, I look forward to reading all of your future comments & I'll get around to taking some pics of my own car (Lava orange with platinum Carrera Wheels) & get them posted soon. :)