Hello from a BMW 228i driver.... - Porsche 718 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 05-12-2016, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Hello from a BMW 228i driver....

As the title states, I'm currently driving a 2014 BMW 228i. When my lease is up I'll be considering a 718 as I've always dreamed of having a Porsche. Just wanted to say hello!
post #2 of 26 Old 05-12-2016, 08:54 PM

DC2112's Co-worker here. I'm currently in a Chevy Camaro and trying to decide between a C7 and a 718.
post #3 of 26 Old 05-13-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2112fan View Post
As the title states, I'm currently driving a 2014 BMW 228i. When my lease is up I'll be considering a 718 as I've always dreamed of having a Porsche. Just wanted to say hello!
Welcome to the forum ! Would you go with the Cayman or the Boxster ?

post #4 of 26 Old 05-13-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Stewart View Post
DC2112's Co-worker here. I'm currently in a Chevy Camaro and trying to decide between a C7 and a 718.
Chevy Camaro to a C7 would be a pretty smooth transition. Camaro to a 718 would be the world of a difference lol. What are your preferences ? On one hand you have a massive v8, and on the other you have a turbo 4 banger
post #5 of 26 Old 05-13-2016, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
Welcome to the forum ! Would you go with the Cayman or the Boxster ?
Thanks for the welcome!

Right now I'm leaning toward Boxster. That's only because of the ability to drop the top. Living in Oklahoma only gets us really maybe 30 truly great convertible days. It's always either too hot, too windy, too cold. Having had a Pontiac Solstice previously, I can say I wasn't a fan of dropping that top too often. The longer I owned it, the less the top went down. The electric Boxster top, plus the fact it doesn't disappear into the trunk, makes me more likely to drop it. Really, you can't go wrong either way. I definitely want Racing Yellow should I decide on Porsche.

For me, it'll be over a year before I replace the 2er. I'll be interested to see how the 718s sell with the turbo 4, and what effect it has on prices once I'm ready.
post #6 of 26 Old 05-15-2016, 08:57 PM

Being able to drop the top is always a good option especially living where you do. Fortunately Porsche builds drop tops that still drive just as nice as their coupe versions. Have you gotten behind the wheel of a porsche before?
post #7 of 26 Old 05-16-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2112fan View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

Right now I'm leaning toward Boxster. That's only because of the ability to drop the top. Living in Oklahoma only gets us really maybe 30 truly great convertible days. It's always either too hot, too windy, too cold. Having had a Pontiac Solstice previously, I can say I wasn't a fan of dropping that top too often. The longer I owned it, the less the top went down. The electric Boxster top, plus the fact it doesn't disappear into the trunk, makes me more likely to drop it. Really, you can't go wrong either way. I definitely want Racing Yellow should I decide on Porsche.

For me, it'll be over a year before I replace the 2er. I'll be interested to see how the 718s sell with the turbo 4, and what effect it has on prices once I'm ready.
Ah top down is definitely the way to go. But I see what you're saying with the weather. I live in Canada.. I think that's enough said haha

But Racing Yellow would be beautiful. Bright and demands the attention it deserves Re-sale value would be interesting to see though
post #8 of 26 Old 05-16-2016, 01:37 PM

Welcome to the forums guys ! How are you enjoying the bmw ??
post #9 of 26 Old 05-19-2016, 05:13 PM

C7 vs 718

Having owned a few Corvettes and Porsches, I can honestly say that in my opinion, Porsche's quality is far ahead of GM's. Also remember that comparing the C7 and the 718 is like "Apples and Oranges". The C7 is straight away pure power. The new 718 is extremely quick too, but out-handles the C7 easily. It's even a better performer than the 981 Spyder! Drive them both, the C7 and 718S at high speeds around a track and you'll like the feel of the mid-engine 718 better. Granted, the C7 sounds better.

I still own older Corvettes and Porsches, but I believe that the quote from a recent Road and Track on the new C7 was, "Stinkingly fast……….stinks of plastic". The C7 quality is not up to Porsche standards. Buy the 718 S.

Last edited by Pagoda69; 05-19-2016 at 05:16 PM.
post #10 of 26 Old 05-20-2016, 10:46 AM

Tis' true, the 718 will be more enjoyable as a drivers car, and at this point in time, given how much I really love my american v8s, the overall quality of the 718 would be better

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page