Porsche 718 Forum banner

Considering - Cayman 718 2.0 base

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  thorn 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Current '15 GT86 and '16 Focus ST owner, using also some company cars like BMW F11, Skoda's, etc..
Near future thoughts - replace 86 with 718 coupe base model...
Probably will go with very base configuration, for sure 6MT, just because want to explore the idea for mostly no optioned base model Porsche vs the fully loaded (or S) and the really expensive 991.2
Just have some questions...will appreciate if you help me
1. What is the stock rear diff - some kind of mechanical LSD or only ABS simulations ?
2. Do I need the PASM - probably will track the car just a few times per year , everyday driver, town, etc...
3. Stock seats or Sport- the stock look like a bit unsupportive for spirited driving...but not sure
4. How do you find the stock lights ?

Just to share the configuration in my mind

Red colour, Beige interior, 18's wheels, manual, heated seats, Connect with base stereo, no need for dual climate, and some other small staff

Just searching for advices about the seats, PASM and real diff options - PTV or stock ..
Best Regards

PP. What about the 2.5 S...do you find it more engaging and fun, or just a bit faster...

See less See more
#2 ·
I replaced my 2014 Subaru BRZ with my 718. Big step up in performance and creature comforts.

2.) If you're going to track, then the general consensus seems to be in favor of PASM
3.) I have the 14 way seats and they work well for me. Probably depends on your body dimensions.
4.) Are the stock headlights the same in Europe as they are here in the US (Bi-Xenon)?

I test drove a Cayman with the beige interior. It's nice, but you don't want the dash to be beige (very reflective).

The 2.0 is fast. I went with the 2.5 because "dream car". :) Coming from the GT86 200hp/158 lb/ft you'll appreciate which ever you choose.

#3 · (Edited)
Big thanks for your reply.
Stock headlight in Europe are the same.
The seats in my GT86 and Focus ST (Recaro) are very comfortable and have great support , so looking at the stock 718 seats ...not very convinced, probably will go for the Sports.
Just searching info about 718 stock rear differential....if I decide to go with the PTV I must choose also PASM (configuration required).....not sure if I need both. Anybody has info about the rear diff, some specs ?

#5 ·
bubaru,

Your interest in a 718 is pretty close to what I own - 718 red Boxster with beige interior, 2.0 liter/300hp engine, 6-speed manual transmission, sport exhaust, 18 inch wheels, but no heated seats. I had heated seats on my 2012 Boxster but they are not really needed in the Phoenix AZ area. I was aware of the beige interior glare problems but after 4 months it has not been a problem. There is a beige interior with black dash option.

1. Rear differential is a 3.89. I don't think it is a LSD. A mechanical locking differential is available with the Porsche Torque Vectoring (PVT) option but I don't think you can get PVT with a manual transmission.

2. You don't need PASM but it will certainly help at the track.

3. I have the standard seats. They are adequate for occasional track days.

4. The stock headlights are fine for me but I rarely drive at night.

#6 ·
Not an owner (yet), but here's where I've been going with my own config for a rather stripped model:

- PASM (Regular or Sport): It's on my list. I may rarely use it, but I believe I'll enjoy it when I do have the chance.
- Heated Seats: absolutely not. Currently living in the south, but I've lived through 16 midwest winters... if I were still in Ohio, I still wouldn't get heated seats. Maybe if I were buying a Mercedes sedan. But not a sportscar.
- Seats: I'm going with standard for now, doubt I'll upgrade to Sport. 14/18 powered seats, no way.-
- Headlights: going with standard. I'm sure they are as good as any headlights I've ever had on any other car, which worked quite well.

At one point, PVT was on my list. Several people that got that option have mentioned that they can barely notice it, and only in extreme conditions. So after a lot of reading, I've removed it.

Nice choice on going RED! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.