Porsche 718 Forum banner

(Soon to be) Flying in a Blue Dream

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  photonscience 
#1 ·
It has been a lifelong goal of mine to own a Porsche. Two days ago, I ordered a 2018 718 Cayman.

When I was 7, I was already a car nut. I had several dozen Matchbox cars -- back then, the really cool ones were made in England. One of the first ones I ever had was a Porsche 910 -- after the original 718, part of Porsche's second crack at a mid-engine race car (along with the 906/917 and other variants). At age 9, I used Testors model paint to turn it and a 911 Carrera ducktail midnight blue with silver accents. They represented my dream cars ...

... and they still do. I still have both of them -- and I took them to the dealership when I ordered the 718 Cayman, which will be Night Blue Metallic with beige/black leather interior, PDK, LEDs, PASM, CP, Premium Pack, a few other goodies -- and with everything on the exterior painted either body color or blacked out, right down to the '718' in the rear, the headlight washer nubs, and the exhaust.

IN about four months, I start living the dream. Cannot WAIT!

#2 ·
Now that was a story worth reading. Love to see someone living out their dreams that they've had through child hood. The most impressive part is that it meant enough to you that you actually kept those matchbox cars! When you get that 718 which sounds beautifully spec'd, make sure you take a photo with those matchbox cars in there!

#3 ·
I like it my old son, but watch you don't get too carried away, once you really get the bug anything Porsche branded can become addictive. I have somewhere in the region of 20+ Porsche polo shirts, a wind stopper jacket, a soft shell jacket, 2 waterproof jackets, a fleece, a winter coat, 2 large coffee mugs, 2 small coffee mugs, a set of 4 espresso limited edition cups, a Siemens Porsche design toaster, a Siemens Porsche design kettle, a Siemens Porsche design coffee maker (all the kitchen appliances are getting on & no longer in production), a Porsche design ballpoint (the one with the brake hose outer), Porsche folding reading spectacles for the car, a Porsche design Flat Six automatic wristwatch, a Porsche design Dashboard automatic wristwatch, a small umbrella, a large umbrella, the odd car model etc etc. Or maybe you'll be O.K & I'm just a particularly sad case that just loves anything related to Porsche. To be honest after looking at the list I think that's most likely what it is. Anyway enjoy your car, I'm sure you will because nothing I've ever driven is quite like a Porsche.

#4 ·
Oh believe me, I've already got a mild start. The very first car-related book I bought? "Great Marques: Porsche", when I was 9. I'm a lifelong Porschephile ...

Here's a pic of the 910 Matchbox car. As you can see, it's VERY well played with. >:D

Reactions: OliverK and trusted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.