Porsche 718 Forum banner

How did I get here?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ArchiProf 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

A number of members have posted their 718 purchases and impressions on the Macan forum, and that has peaked my interest in the Cayman.

For the most part, I expect to be lurking in the background as I read and learn more about the 718. At the same time, I'll be working on creating more garage space....as I'm not prepared to let go of any of the cars we currently have.

Appreciate the opportunity to be part of this community, and my sincerest thanks to all the members who post and participate here.

#4 ·
I am on the Macan Forum as well and there are differing opinions of the 718 to say the least. I was one who posted my impressions of the 718 on the Macan Forum and most people over there are very supportive. As capeli notes--take with a grain of salt those who criticize the 4 cyl turbo and especially the sound. As Oskar Jansson notes, the Macan and 718 "make a great package.":D

#7 ·
....What toys do you currently have in the garage?....
Thanks for your post. Just two cars in the garage now.....a 2011 Audi S5, and a 2015 Macan Turbo. I typically keep my cars 20 years. Consequently, I still have a long ways to go with these.

I've previously had sport sedans, so a 718 would be my first true sports car.

My experience with the Macan has really given me a special appreciation for Porsche's bespoke build methodology. Although I've never been shy about modifying my cars, I'm now at a point where I'd rather order a car that's as close as I can get to my preferred configuration. :)

#6 ·
Thanks everyone for the welcome reception and supportive comments.

The sound of the exhaust will be a non-issue with me. I readily accept that different engine configurations sound different. So far, every car I've owned has had a different engine type; including a straight-4, straight-6, V-8, and V-6. Each of their respective exhaust notes were perfectly fine with me, and never once did I wish they sounded any different than they did.

Looking forward to adding yet another engine type to my ownership experience list. :)

#9 ·
LOL.....Yep, I've already become pretty well acquainted with the 718 configurator. But I haven't gotten as far settling on a Porsche Code yet. Not even sure if I'll go with the Base, S, or wait for the GTS.

I haven't been for a test drive, yet. Thought I'd educate myself a little more first, so I could be more aware of what details to look for, and what questions to ask. I have been in contact with my SA, however......so a test drive is not too far off. :)

#10 ·
Welcome!

I currently have a 2014 981 Cayman which I really enjoy driving. I will be purchasing a new 718 Cayman in 2018 so my spouse and I have been driving different variations at several dealerships over the past six months. So far, we have driven the Boxster and Cayman base and S, MT and PDK, and sport exhaust and no sport exhaust. We have driven around town as well as on the interstate highways. We have done "drive-bys" with her driving and with me driving so we can hear what the cars sound like from the outside.

Conclusion: They are all great cars! The final decision based on all this is that we will order a base Cayman with MT and no sport exhaust (we liked the sound around town but it seemed to drone a bit at the interstate speeds at which we usually travel). Our proposed "build" is in another thread.

Reactions: SoCalS5
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.