Porsche 718 Forum banner

What Did You Do To Your Porsche 718 Boxster/Cayman Today?

641K views 5K replies 420 participants last post by  lsturbointeg 
#1 ·
Share what you did to your 718 Boxster/Cayman with the community!

Example: I took her out of the garage and gave her a nice bath and followed up with a coat of wax.

Example: Finally got my window tints done, now I can't open my windows for a week

Example: Installed the Tubi exhaust rear section, now looking for a tune.

Anything goes....

#2 · (Edited)
Installed a set of clear Side Marker Lights LEDs. Purchased from Suncoast.

Installation is pretty much as described in the video on the Suncoast site, but I needed to use a flat blade screwdriver (wrapped in masking tape to protect the paint) to lightly pry the light away from the car. In the video, their light unit just seemed to spring away from the fender once it was pulled toward the rear of the car. That was not my experience. :D

I for piece of mind, I looped a rubber band around the wire harness before disconnecting the light unit. I did this to prevent wire harness from falling back into the fender as the lead is very short.

Installation is very easy.

I'm pleased with the results. I think the look is understated and clean especially on my silver car.

Attachments

#482 ·
Installed a set of clear Side Marker Lights LEDs. Purchased from Suncoast.

Installation is pretty much as described in the video on the Suncoast site, but I needed to use a flat blade screwdriver (wrapped in masking tape to protect the paint) to lightly pry the light away from the car. In the video, their light unit just seemed to spring away from the fender once it was pulled toward the rear of the car. That was not my experience. :D

I for piece of mind, I looped a rubber band around the wire harness before disconnecting the light unit. I did this to prevent wire harness from falling back into the fender as the lead is very short.

Installation is very easy.

I'm pleased with the results. I think the look is understated and clean especially on my silver car.
This will be my first mod! Thanks for posting your experience!

#3 ·
I also installed a set of the Porsche all-weather mats.

Only time will tell, but the Porsche mats are a whole lot nicer than the WeatherTech mats we have in our other car.

The WeatherTech mats are about function. They perform the task, but are a challenge to clean and would be out of place in cars with "upscale" interiors, IMO. ;)

Reactions: bobskibo
#4 ·
I have had my 718 Boxster since July. It replaced a 2014 981 and there is no comparison between the two. The 718 is superior in every way and now I enjoy the sound as much as the 981. The 981 didn't really sound good until above 5000 RPM. With the 718 because of its tremendous acceleration at low RPM's I very seldom reach 5000 RPM. Of course I do not track my car. When I bought the car I had the whole car coated with Flight Shield Sapphire V1 and then expel ultimate put on the whole front back to the doors, rocker panels and most edges. With the Sapphire V1 no more polishing and waxing the car. Just hose it off and dry with microfiber towel. I had the Smart Top engineer come from Las Vegas to San Diego and use my car as a test vehicle for the smart top for the 718. They had to make a few code modifications to the software, but it works perfectly. It sure is nice to put the top down as I am walking to the car and just step in instead of hunching down and fitting myself into the car. They have added a few new features to the smart top program. One I can remember is you can put the top up and down by touching the door handles in a certain way. It is also so nice that after I park the car I hit the top up button, shut off the engine and get out. Again I am out before the top it up which making exiting the car much easier for an old man. The one thing that I hated about the car was that every time you shut off the engine the sport mode and engine shutoff defaulted to the original position not where they were when you shut off the engine. I hated having to push both buttons every time I started the car. Of course I would forget and when I came to the first stop the engine would shut off. I hated that feature. Two weeks ago I received the Memory Module from T-design and installed it. Now both buttons stay in the same position they were when you shut off the car. No more engine shutting down when I stop. They have a very good video on how to install the module and it looks very easy. The only problem I had was taking off the trim around the console. You cannot just lift it up and it comes off easily. There are 10 clips and I had pry each one carefully open with a screwdriver. After I got it off, the rest was very easy. Enjoy your new 718 it is a whole new driving experience.

#8 ·
Also installed the clear corner markers; little effort to do so and I think it makes a big improvement on my GT silver car. I installed a set of Blackmill winglets, which do a fine job of eliminating any of the buffeting that occurs when windows are rolled down and the car is at speed. About to order a set of Exoticare floor mats - they really dress up the interior.

#18 · (Edited)
Gonna try this again.

Purchased kit from Suncoast for $59.95. $19.95 would be a better price. :)

Easy to install. Hopefully I won't ever have to use it.

Attachments

Reactions: SoCalS5
#31 ·
Wow I only just noticed this. What a rip off, charging that much for something that to my knowledge is fitted as standard equipment throughout the whole of Europe including the U.K. On the + side, at least you did a good job & the end result looks the same as the factory fitted installation.

#19 ·
After 6 months of ownership, I finally installed the front plate. MD requires a front plate, although, I have read that some are trying to change this.

I did not want to mount the plate holder to the bumper, and I did not want to use one of the off set toe-hook plate mounts so I fiddled around a bit and learned that the plate holder fits snuggly below the bumper. Just added 2 zinc coated screws (3"), 4 washers, 2 nylon lock nuts and a bit of 3M double sided foam tape to minimize any chafing. Very pleased with the results and can easily be reversed if the requirement for front plates goes away.

Attachments

Reactions: winter.zed
#26 ·
Just added 2 zinc coated screws (3"), 4 washers, 2 nylon lock nuts and a bit of 3M double sided foam tape to minimize any chafing. Very pleased with the results and can easily be reversed if the requirement for front plates goes away.
Very neat solution. Thanks for sharing. I will try this also. Hopefully will get my Boxster by the end of next week :)
Did you think of spray painting the bolts? Zinc coating may prevent paint from sticking - probably. Not for rust protection, of course, but for looks.

One question - is the back of the bumper easily accessible from underneath or did you have to remove a lot of trim and/or protector pieces to be able to put on the locking nuts and washers?

#21 ·
My car is yellow, so it was pretty "glossy" to begin with IMHO. :) To my eye, there is some minor increase in gloss, but the primary reason I went for the coating was protection. It's definetly a winner in that department, everything slides right off. They also treated my wheels, so brake dust doesn't stick either.

The gloss thing probably has a lot to do with the color of the car. An installer might be able to tell you how much more glossy your color could be.

#22 ·
If the ceramic is anything like Opti-coat the darker colours show more of a difference.
I had the OC done to a pearl white car and noticed only a slight increase in shine.

Like Atebit is finding, dust and dirt just didn't stick and minor incidents/marks that I thought should have damaged the paint (sliding hit with a soccer ball!) were able to be removed without abrasive polish.

My new yellow Boxster is going in for the latest version very soon.

Greg

#23 ·
Sounds like on GT Silver may not get the increased gloss look I'm after with ceramic coating.
Has anyone tried Wolfgangs Deep Gloss Paint sealant? I hear that it works on silver colors well and it's a spray on, dry and wipe off product, so relatively easy to apply.

#29 ·
I did not realize you're in Toronto. My wife and I love Toronto.

I asked my salesman not to install the front plate and he said that they only install if the customer asks.

I installed the clear side markers and they are a great looking and easy to install upgrade.

#32 ·
Wind Buffeting Solution

Love to drive with my window down and listen to tunes. The problem is wind buffeting. Problem solved. AWE Tuning AWE Tuning: Unlock Performance | AWE Tuning sells a Wind Diffuser - Injection molded. It only took me about 20 minutes to change out both sides. Works fantastically.

Attachments

#34 ·
#51 ·
I installed the smart top module in my 981s and before upgrading to my 718s I carefully removed the module and kept it. The great thing was, I only had to wait until the Smart top folks upgraded the software to work with the 718. I did not have to replace the module. As soon as they did, I upgraded the new code to the module and installed it in my 718s. Works like a charm. Funny how you get used to things. I was chomping at the bit waiting for the module upgrade, can't imagine not having it in my car.