After the 718 what Porsche would you like to own next? - Page 25 - Porsche 718 Forum
 132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #241 of 249 Old 03-28-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
Why? I assumed you'd only changed to a GT2RS from a GT3RS because it was slightly kinder to the environment.
Funny! The real reason is as I have stated before the 3RS was more show than go. Whereas the 2RS is the near perfect combination of both show and go. I stated this before if you're not interested in the 2RS I would recommend the .2 GT3 and side step the 3RS completely. The 3RS with only 20 hp more than the GT3 is just Porsches way of milking the market for every last dollar/pound. They should have built the 3RS with at least 600hp even if that meant a couple of turbos. Car enthusiasts claim the NA sound is the best but I absolutely disagree. The 2RS sounds amazing and is without a doubt far far better than the 3RS.

2018/991.2 GT Silver Metallic GT2-RS

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" ~ Vince Lombardi

"There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet" ~ Fleet Admiral William F. Halsey Jr.
post #242 of 249 Old 03-28-2019, 05:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche2018 View Post
Why not? It doesn't say they're doing away w/ the gas versions, just that they're going to expand our options to include electric platforms. More options seems a silly thing to not like. I'm down w/ the idea of electric commuters, but personally I can't wait until electric drivetrains show up in truly performance oriented cars.
Chilli likes this.

The answer is always both.
post #243 of 249 Old 03-28-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
My last comment was pretty obviously tongue in cheek. However more seriously & much like Wine.O I'm genuinely puzzled as to what your concerns are. Currently where I live electric vehicles are absolutely useless due to a lack of charging points & the fact I'm so darned far away from anywhere in combination with very limited range. But I'd happily embrace the technology for at least one vehicle as soon as it becomes properly viable to do so. Also as Wine.O stated they haven't said anything about discontinuation of combustion engined models. So what gives?

post #244 of 249 Old 03-28-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
Currently where I live electric vehicles are absolutely useless due to a lack of charging points & the fact I'm so darned far away from anywhere in combination with very limited range. So what gives?
Exactly what you have stated where I live I have only come across one charging station being built and that is not operational yet. These vehicles as it stands now are not practical.

2018/991.2 GT Silver Metallic GT2-RS

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" ~ Vince Lombardi

"There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet" ~ Fleet Admiral William F. Halsey Jr.
post #245 of 249 Old 03-28-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Exactly what you have stated where I live I have only come across one charging station being built and that is not operational yet. These vehicles as it stands now are not practical.
So in that case you simply don't buy one until they are practical & opt for the petrol engined model instead. I still fail to see how that's a problem.
post #246 of 249 Old 03-28-2019, 07:56 PM

Garage
Motor Trend's "Worlds Greatest Drag Race 7" (2017) saw the Tesla S take 1st over a field of Porsche, Ferrari, McClaren... ([URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvk18vx-nrY"])

I get it, if the race were longer than 1/4 mile, they'd have overtaken but still, a 911 Turbo S lost a drag TO A 4 DOOR SEDAN!!! And that's from technology that's clearly in its infancy. Can you imagine if Porsche put proper suspension, brakes, and cockpit around torque like that?? Oh my god I can't wait.

The answer is always both.
post #247 of 249 Old 03-28-2019, 09:53 PM

After the 718 what Porsche would you like to own next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine.O View Post
Motor Trend's "Worlds Greatest Drag Race 7" (2017) saw the Tesla S take 1st over a field of Porsche, Ferrari, McClaren... ([URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvk18vx-nrY"])

I get it, if the race were longer than 1/4 mile, they'd have overtaken but still, a 911 Turbo S lost a drag TO A 4 DOOR SEDAN!!! And that's from technology that's clearly in its infancy. Can you imagine if Porsche put proper suspension, brakes, and cockpit around torque like that?? Oh my god I can't wait.

Donít disagree with everything you said but Iím not sure you can say itís a technology in its infancy.

ďElectric vehicles first appeared in the mid-19th century. An electric vehicle held the vehicular land speed record until around 1900. The high cost, low top speed, and short range of battery electric vehicles, compared to later internal combustion engine vehicles, led to a worldwide decline in their use; although electric vehicles have continued to be used in the form of electric trains and other niche uses.Ē https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_electric_vehicle

Iíll continue to pass for the some of the same reasons listed above. And the idea of no sound isnít terribly appealing to me.

And to answer the question, at this point I think it has to be a GT3 Touring. By the time the 718 moves on Iím quite sure it will be something else. I just hope that something else is motivated by a ICE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by rooster; 03-28-2019 at 10:00 PM.
post #248 of 249 Old 03-29-2019, 05:11 AM

European vehicle manufacturers are being pushed to produce electric vehicles whether they like it or not. The draconian fines they'll incur for missing strict new E.U emissions targets are so punitive they have absolutely no choice. As of 27th March 2019 the long term outlook for petrol engined vehicles started to look considerably more grim:-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-03-29 at 09.01.58.png
Views:	15
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	20482  
post #249 of 249 Old 03-31-2019, 08:55 AM

In addition to the 718, s 996 C4S with IMS solution done would be fun. Great value right now! I had a 2002 targa around the time IMS was as becoming an issue but no solution.

A little raw compared to 718. The seats in 996 would shake (in a good way) when at idle. These C4S can be had for $22-$35k depending on mileage and condition.

Last edited by Optical TDI; 03-31-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page