Tips and Tricks - cool features? - Porsche 718 Forum
 145Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 228 Old 09-10-2018, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Tips and Tricks - cool features?

So now i have my new 718 and i am trying to get to grips with it. Have any other owners discovered any cool features or tips and tricks they would like to share?

I have had cars in the past where you do not discover a cool feature - usually hidden in the bottom of the manual for the life of the vehicle so feel free to share any hidden features or tips that every owner should know about.
post #2 of 228 Old 09-10-2018, 09:56 PM

Turning on the fog lights--although with one fog every 3 years or so I can't remember how to do it. It is in the manual though.
post #3 of 228 Old 09-11-2018, 06:27 AM
DJL

Not quite a hidden feature, more a hidden button: Steering wheel heater is activated by a tiny button on the dashboard side of the steering wheel at the bottom. I know we are all tough sports car drivers here, but I quite like that button on cold mornings! (This is standard issue in Australia... not sure about other countries.)

Oh, there is an uncool feature: Try disconnecting the soundaktor - it may change your perception of the quality of the 718's soundtrack.
Aus_GTS and dgompper like this.

post #4 of 228 Old 09-11-2018, 07:04 AM

Two cool things for me...
(1) The fold out bins in the doors.
(2) Running Waze on my iPhone (in the background) through the Apple Car Play interface while listening to music or navigating with the Apple maps and it breaking into whatever is coming out of the speakers with "watch out - police reported ahead".

2018 Cayman GTS
Miami Blue/Black/PDK
post #5 of 228 Old 09-11-2018, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

@funky800 : Moving this thread to the General Discussion forum since it's not 718 Boxster-specific. Thanks, and welcome to the forum!
funky800 likes this.

-- Life is a journey made more exciting with a fast car. --
-- Helmets are for closers. --
-- Death to all who chrome! --
Blackened '18 NBM 718 Cayman: "Alli". Audio mods TBD
post #6 of 228 Old 09-11-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL View Post
Not quite a hidden feature, more a hidden button: Steering wheel heater is activated by a tiny button on the dashboard side of the steering wheel at the bottom.
So this turned on the other day and i had no idea how! I had to restart the car to turn it off so this is very useful! I live in California and its summer so i def did not need the steering wheel to be any hotter than it already was!
post #7 of 228 Old 09-11-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithros View Post
Two cool things for me...
(1) The fold out bins in the doors.
(2) Running Waze on my iPhone (in the background) through the Apple Car Play interface while listening to music or navigating with the Apple maps and it breaking into whatever is coming out of the speakers with "watch out - police reported ahead".
I need to check these ones out!
post #8 of 228 Old 09-11-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky800 View Post
So this turned on the other day and i had no idea how! I had to restart the car to turn it off so this is very useful! I live in California and its summer so i def did not need the steering wheel to be any hotter than it already was!
After 3000 miles, I somehow still seem to accidentally turn on the steering wheel heater about half the time I do a full lock turn, like backing out of a parking space. There is a message that shows up on the dash that it is on, but it is momentary and disappears after a few seconds.
post #9 of 228 Old 09-11-2018, 04:33 PM
GGG

Pull both pedals on the PDK and the gearbox goes into neutral. I have only recently discovered this feature, still exploring what you can do with it.
FiscNad and dragonsdreams like this.
post #10 of 228 Old 09-11-2018, 05:07 PM

The "hold" feature. Deep press the brake pedal to hold the car in place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in