End of the road for Porsche and other Supercar Manufacturers? - Porsche 718 Forum
 32Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Unread 03-27-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
End of the road for Porsche and other Supercar Manufacturers?

If you pick up a newspaper, or see the news in the U.K. today they are reporting on a new proposal that has been approved by unelected EU Bureaucrats.

Basically they are proposing that all new cars from 2022 will be fitted with electronic devices that limit the speed of the car to the road you are driving on, so in their words speeding will become a thing of the past.

They are hailing this as the most significant step in road safety since the laws on seat belts.

Iím depressed, thereís already too many speed cameras on the roads.

Big Brother is sapping the life out of me !
Nosmo likes this.
post #2 of 48 Unread 03-27-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
post #3 of 48 Unread 03-27-2019, 09:20 AM

Garage
I read that on BBC News - very discouraging indeed...

Current: 2018 Cayman, Black with black leather interior, Cayman S wheels, 6MT, numerous performance and luxury options
Previous: 2014 Cayman, Black with black interior, Cayman S wheels, 6MT
Previous: 1986 944, Stone Gray with black interior, phone dial wheels, 5MT

post #4 of 48 Unread 03-27-2019, 09:33 AM

Garage
I have to be honest.....in my 52 years of being a licensed driver here in the USA, I think people drive faster than ever.

I was in the middle lane the other day pulling my trailer (with Formula Ford inside it) as part of a "train" of fast-moving cars. The speed limit was 65 MPH but we were all doing at least 85 MPH. At one point we passed a local sheriff's car doing "only" about 80 MPH in the fast lane.

It's very common to see (and be part of) 90 MPH traffic here in NJ. And often, it's in pretty close quarters too.
At certain times of the day, Rt. 78 reminds me of the green flag lap at Watkins Glen.

- - - - W.Z.
post #5 of 48 Unread 03-27-2019, 11:09 AM

What happens when someone dies because they couldn't avoid the accident because the car prevented them from going fast enough?

This is ridiculous. Speed doesn't cause accidents. The difference in speed does. So if the speed limit is 70, and that is as fast as you can go, then you'll still have accidents because someone will be going 45 or 50.

Also how much would you bet that 99% of those devices would be disconnected upon delivery?

If you look at the speeds people go on roads they are not bound by the speed limit, but rather from how comfortable people feel on the road. We have roads here where the speed limit is 50 mph, but everyone goes 70-75. If the speed limit was changed to 75, people would still go 70-75 because they feel comfortable at that speed. You wouldn't suddenly see everyone going 100 mph.

If this did ever happen I'd never buy a new car again. I'd just get an older one and spend 25K doing an engine rebuild.

Also a lot of the time tech like this is wrong when it comes to determining the speed limit. We have a new Volvo that has speed limit recognition. If you go over what it thinks the speed limit is it will warn you. However it always bases that limit on the last speed limit sign it saw. So if you are driving on a local road with a speed limit of 30 mph and then go onto a highway it freaks out for several miles until it sees a new speed limit sign because you are going 60-70 mph and it thinks you should be going 30 mph. Imagine if this new tech didn't let you accelerate onto a highway? You'd be dead.

All this new tech doesn't help. It just makes you rely upon it too much and not pay attention. I never spec any driving assist options on my cars. The driver should always be in control of the car. The car should not be braking for the driver or accelerating for them, etc. Certain options, like ABS are good because they help the driver brake when the driver wants to brake. But they don't brake when the driver isn't expecting it. The other tech mentioned in that article was having the car brake if it detected a bicycle or pedestrian in the road. Well what if it 'thinks' something is in the road and slams on the brakes for no reason and you get rear-ended? Another terrible piece of tech IMO. This stuff is nowhere near ready for a general release. Look at the 737 Max 8 as an example - tons of tech designed to help the pilot, and the planes crashed anyway (and perhaps because of this new tech.)
Graustark and Muppet like this.

Current:
2017 718 Cayman S

Previous:
2008 987 Cayman S
2001 986 Boxster

Last edited by RussellHodgson; 03-27-2019 at 11:29 AM.
post #6 of 48 Unread 03-27-2019, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
This is not good. Though, just as you can tune an engine to improve its performance there will an option to disable this feature. Clearly, the EU bureaucrats have too much time on their hands.

2018/991.2 GT Silver Metallic GT2-RS

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" ~ Vince Lombardi

"There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet" ~ Fleet Admiral William Halsey
post #7 of 48 Unread 03-27-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
If you pick up a newspaper, or see the news in the U.K. today they are reporting on a new proposal that has been approved by unelected EU Bureaucrats.

Basically they are proposing that all new cars from 2022 will be fitted with electronic devices that limit the speed of the car to the road you are driving on, so in their words speeding will become a thing of the past.

They are hailing this as the most significant step in road safety since the laws on seat belts.

Iím depressed, thereís already too many speed cameras on the roads.

Big Brother is sapping the life out of me !

And most depressing of all is that these unelected bureaucrats (who are either chauffeur driven or who get paid not to be working) believe that it will reduce road deaths to zero (0). Yep Nill!! Laughable in the extreme as, as was pointed out, we are now in a situation where a head on is more likely 'cause you can't get past. I will be buying my last new ICE car in 2020. It's going to be something like an Ariel Atom or similar. No computer in sight
Muppet likes this.
post #8 of 48 Unread 03-27-2019, 12:42 PM

Was looking at a 2020 Mercedes GLE 450 SUV for the wife...engine is an inline 6 ...367 hp and 369 lb ft torque...a lot of new amazing technology...nice car....when the cruise control is on and you drive into an area where the speed limit drops 10mph, the car will automatically slow down by 10 mph...I thought it was pretty neat till I read this thread...now I understand where this is going...

Last edited by Lamb; 03-27-2019 at 01:17 PM.
post #9 of 48 Unread 03-27-2019, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

I tend to respond one way initially to all of this autonomous/computerized/assisted this-and-that I see:

Tell me how the working-class-or-lower vehicle driver is supposed to have a vehicle with this tech when the law takes effect, please?

There is no country on Planet Earth where everyone has a late-model vehicle. In fact, there are many, many countries where late-model vehicles are the exception not the rule, including:
- China
- India
- Indonesia
- most nations in South America
- some nations in Eastern Europe

Another facet: How exactly is this kind of tech supposed to be applied to vehicles such as commercial trucks and two-wheeled vehicles (motorcycles, scooters, etc.)?

Fuel consumption regulations are one thing. Autonomous systems are another. For the latter to work even close to well, every moving part must subscribe to the same system. I don't see that happening anytime soon -- and I don't see that happening in places such as India or most of Africa for at least two generations.

-- Life is a journey made more exciting with a fast car. --
-- Helmets are for closers. --
-- Death to all who chrome! --
Blackened '18 NBM 718 Cayman: "Alli". Audio mods TBD
post #10 of 48 Unread 03-27-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Fuel consumption regulations are one thing. Autonomous systems are another. For the latter to work even close to well, every moving part must subscribe to the same system. I don't see that happening anytime soon -- and I don't see that happening in places such as India or most of Africa for at least two generations.

I don't see autonomous cars happening anywhere for at least 2 decades. The tech just isn't there. You may see some autonomous cars in specific locations, such as cities or airports etc, where things can be very tightly controlled. But in the rest of the world it won't happen before 2050. There are just too many exceptions to the rule, and computers can't figure all these exceptions out.

Plus, do people really want that much control over what they do? For an autonomous car to work with current tech, you'd need a GPS system so the car can figure out where to go. So that means someone can record everywhere you go. What happens when the GPS system doesn't work - can the car still get to its destination?

And finally there is hacking. If autonomous cars rely on wirless tech to communicate, etc, they will be hacked. And then that's the end of autonomous cars.
Viffermike likes this.

Current:
2017 718 Cayman S

Previous:
2008 987 Cayman S
2001 986 Boxster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in