Porsche 718 Forum banner

Condensation in tail lights

10K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  4802 
#1 ·
Anyone else have this issue? Seems this is not normal for a relatively new car...

#2 ·
I got touch of condensation a couple of months ago. Seems to have cleared up now. It was about equal in both headlights so wasn’t too concerned about. Seems more common than it should and from my experienc. Can happen across all brands/models too. Something about “breathable” light covers...but this may just be hogwash so don’t quote me on it. If it starts to pool than it would go straight to the dealer.

#6 ·
This subject has actually been covered on the forum on numerous occasions. Unless you have very large water droplets forming then it's entirely normal. I experience it with my car from time to time in both headlights, both tail lights & even occasionally on the sports chrono clock (though I did query that). I've also experienced the same on many previous cars including Porsche's (981 & 987) & others marques. They are not sealed units, see below :- https://www.carlightblog.com/2014/06/24/fogging-the-ultimate-guide/

And also a shot of the sports chrono in my car & a response to the query from Porsche for a previous customer.

Attachments

#8 ·
This has been discussed several other times on this forum:
Here's one thread.
Here's another.
And here's another.

All I did to find these was use the word 'condensation' in an 'All Open Forums' search. It took about 15 seconds.

It's good Forum etiquette to search for an answer before asking the members, OP. A big reason why forums such as 718Forum.com are so popular is as a searchable knowledge archive. Please participate accordingly. Thanks!

#9 ·
I have had it on my rears for a month now, and it starts to bug me :)
On the rear side in the trunk it looks as there is some kind of ventilation for the lights.
So i checked for water in the trunk and there where non so i will put in an anti fog device an see if it helps.

To much condensation = risk for corrosion!

#17 ·
The lights are not sealed, it is not a defect.

Yes, most lights on most other cars are sealed and thusly condensation shows the seal is compromised.

But on our cars this is not the case.

Please read up on this topic before saying things like "It's a defect! It's wrong because other cars don't do it!"

#20 ·
But perhaps it ‘is’ a defect, a design defect!

I cannot image the Porsche light designers working out how best to design a lamp unit that shows condensation “because it’s better that way” and stating that forum members should just readup to find others have experienced the same does not, surely, make it ok?

It might be common but it’s still an eyesore/looks bad and looks like something is faulty.

Porsche - just fix it please!

#18 ·
Ok so good thing I noticed this thread. I was getting concerned as mine did this today. Surprising really as my car has not seen a drop of rain since I bought it. Anyway to minimize this ‘effect’?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.