Porsche 718 Forum banner

Speedo needs calibration

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  4802 
#1 ·
If it doesn't I'll be without a license soon. Passed a convoy of trucks on the interstate today and saw low 100's (mph) reading on the speedo at the conclusion. Sure didn't feel or sound that fast. Fortunately, that was only about 15 mph faster than most others with me. Unbelievably quick car. I need to calm down a bit!

#2 ·
These cars are easy to go fast in.

I drove mine carefully for the requisite 2000 miles. One day, while driving in the slow lane up the Driscoll Bridge on the NJ Garden State Parkway, I noticed that the odo had reached "2003" miles.....my break-in was complete!

So I pulled out into the fast lane, still climbing a pretty steep hill, and stepped on it. A few seconds later I realized I was very north of 100 mph. Wow!

#3 ·
I can relate guys! I got bored behind a truck, although we were cruising along at 70 mph on a well-built road through a series of road cuts, so still keeping below 4,000 RPMs, I kicked it and passed the truck. Pulled back into my lane and looked down and saw 117 mph. It was WAY too easy and, in shock, I told the first reasonable-seeming person I saw (including something about that I had to be going faster than that while passing), which happened to be at the gas pumps before I put her away. The guy was a young man with a certain vibe of ex-military or off-duty policeman, and he enjoyed my enthusiastic story and then said calmly, "You could have gone to jail!" And I'm like, "I know!! But it just kind of happened!" And he looks at the car again, and says, "Yes, I bet it can accelerate pretty quickly, huh?" I agreed, and then had the thought about him maybe being an off-duty policeman. Yikes!

#7 ·
I'm sure I remember 20 or more years ago having BMW's that had speed limiter as an option on the cruise control stork. This was far more useful than cruise when in traffic and constantly having to disengage. Did they discontinue this for safety reasons?

Also had an Audi which gave an annoying bleep but didn't cut power every time you crossed the speed limit that you set yourself.

#10 ·
Also had an Audi which gave an annoying bleep but didn't cut power every time you crossed the speed limit that you set yourself.
My Cayman has two settable limits which sound an audible alarm when exceeded. I assumed all 718's and probably all current P-cars had them.

As for adaptive cruise control, a resounding NO! I am unequivocally opposed to it, or horizontally opposed to it, if you prefer. Barryng, it may make you safer but you are undoubtedly safer than most drivers anyway. I worry about the other people out there following me. Think of all those other folks who believe their car will brake for them when necessary, so they don't have to pay as much attention. It's probably right up there with all the folks who thought "anti-skid" brakes would keep them from skidding on ice and snow. Honda,Toyota, Nissan, and others too I am sure, are actively marketing systems to soccer-moms on this very "safety" feature. Ignorance of the basics is dangerous but still pervasive.

How often have you seen two or more cars running lock-step in place on the highway? Even with minimal traffic so spreading out would seem to be the best idea? One of the more irritating highway behaviors I have seen developing lately is the tendency of drivers to sit on my tail maintaining an exact distance. If I think they are too close, which happens a lot, I'll try to pull away, but they follow me. So I'll slow down to encourage them to pass, but they don't. Usually I have to accelerate hard, pull away so they lose contact. Then they seem to drop into their own zone, spaced out until they come up behind some other poor soul. This is the "trending" legacy of adaptive cruise control. Just a few steps removed from self-driving cars.

Reactions: MLJJ
#14 ·
It's not just tailgaters, but also that every time you leave sufficient space to the car in front, another driver will move between you. So you drop back again to re-establish the gap & it happens again & then again & once again etc, etc. Or the drivers that feel the need to overtake you, but then cut in sharply & start driving at a lower speed than you were before they overtook. That's where the adaptive cruise control comes in handy as it will re-establish a safe gap every time & partly helps to relieve the frustration. Just because some poor drivers can't differentiate between cruise control & snooze control that's hardly the fault of the system. Those people generally won't concentrate anyway & with that being the case I'd much rather have them behind me in a car fitted with the system over one that wasn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.