Porsche 718 Forum banner

Cayman 718 deposit paid - build inside

39K views 190 replies 53 participants last post by  Graustark 
#1 ·
I just placed my deposit for a base Cayman 718! Woo-hoo! Doing European Delivery in Zuffenhausen this September. Should be a 2020 model. :D

I test drove a Cayman S and Boxster S.

My buddy had a 986 Boxster S and 987 Cayman S that I have driven before. Since 718 base is basically equivalent to Cayman S 987 horsepower and torque, I am comfortable with 718 base. Also, my buddy’s Porsches were both manual, so I am comfortable 718 manual would be effectively identical.

Here is the build:

Plain White, 6MT, PASM, Sport Chrono

Black/Luxor Beige in full leather

Bi-Xenon PDLS
Auto wipers & dimming mirrors
Auto, 2-zone climate
Light Design
Power folding mirrors
Lane change assist
Sport Seats Plus (2-way) with heating and ventilation
GT Sport steering wheel w/ multifunction and heating
Extended range fuel tank

Smoking package
Porsche crest on headrests
Carbon fiber trim
Side window trim in high gloss aluminum
Sport tailpipes in silver
Model designation delete
18” default Cayman wheels

Bose surround sound system
Apple CarPlay

Omissions:

PTV: Sales guy suggested I drop it since I don’t plan to track this car. Maybe a little autocrossing but it’s mostly for fun weekend drives.

Rear wiper: I don’t want it since with any use it eventually forms a wiper line and I don’t want that visible line.

LED lights: I don’t like the wide 4-point appearance, and Bi-Xenons are plenty bright as I am used to halogens on my GTI.

Smartphone compartment: Sales guys says it’s merely a signal booster. Per website it also deletes an aux port in glove box, which I like to retain for whatever reason.

Power seats: manual adjustment was fine in my buddy’s cars. It’s fine in my GTI. Although GTI has lumbar adjustment, which Porsche manual seats do not have, AFAIK. Wondering if lacking lumbar adjustment would bug me.

Boxster: I considered this, but in Texas, I just don’t need the sun beating down on me. I also found the Boxster visibility, top-down to still be worse than Cayman. I rarely use the sunroof on my GTI. No downside to omitting that with my GTI, whereas here going Boxster vs Cayman is far more different. I also plan to Suntek wrap the entire car so I can go through car washes. Cleaning a canvas top would be more irksome.

Porsche Entry and Drive: Pressing a button to unlock is not exactly difficult.

Power Steering Plus: seems unnecessary and I like tight steering feel.

Dashboard trim in leather: $1600 seems a bit rich for just a bit more dash leather that’s further away from me.

Navigation: No need to spend $2300 when I have Waze or Apple Maps.

Happy to hear all comments and opinions on the build! My allocation will freeze in ~ 2 months so I am constantly reviewing option selections on a daily basis.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks great! It's a personal choice and only you can decide what's right for you. You have more options than I decided to get, but I'm sure they will be exactly what you want and need. 2 months is a long time and you will reconfigure multiple (hundreds) of times. Stick with your gut and don't let anyone tell you what you want. However, over that time you may find some things you thought you needed not necessary and others that you left out necessary. Its all part of the experience. Enjoy and have fun!

#3 ·
I agree with you on visibility and the Boxster. I was a bit uncomfortable with it. I still have my 987S Boxster and have no issues with that car. On the other hand, my 718C visibility is great and I skipped the LCA.

In addition, you are right about the sun beating down on you in the convertible. I don't really have an issue but my wife is frequently less thrilled about the convertible with the top down during peak summer weather...even with the AC on.

Enjoy your car.

( BTW. I also did European Delivery ( but picked up in Leipzig and dropped off in Stuttgart). My wife is already planning to do it again she had such a good time.)

#4 ·
Good for you. There are so many options with these cars it’s dizzying! Get what you want. For example my 2019 718 S has Apple Car Play but most of time the Bluetooth connection is just fine.... unless you want GPS. I almost didn’t bother setting up the Apple Car Play. I’d never get Porsche Nav. Waste of money.

I too have Sport Chrono with the manual. Love it! That throttle blip alone is sweet!

I walked into my local dealer totally prepared to succumb to a custom build even though I wanted a car this spring! They gave me a sweet deal on the S that had what I wanted so I picked it up the next day!

Good luck waiting. It’s gotta be tough!

Reactions: Graustark
#5 ·
I only submitted the deposit yesterday and the wait is already rough! Haven't even seen the deposit on my credit card statement yet.

How is the 6MT rev-match? Does it do it with all Sport Chrono 3 modes, or fewer?

#6 ·
Nice build. I guess in Texas the lane change assist is good idea given my experience driving there-all the trucks would run over you. I would suggest the full leather as a consideration. While pricey, it does add an upscale ambiance consistent with the marque. Also since you are getting carbon fiber trim, consider the carbon fiber steering wheel-I would have never thought the hard texture surface on the wheel makes a difference until I drive my wife’s jeep (which has “wood+leather” wheel (also heated) which is a nice feature and you don’t wind up with worn smooth leather. Only issue if whether it is available in the GT size (I don’t think so). I have the GT and like the smaller diameter (although I think it is only ~20mm smaller).

#13 ·
I briefly considered the carbon fiber steering wheel, but I feel with already optioning the carbon fiber trim, it would be a touch overkill. Plus, I just like the 100% leather wheel instead of the carbon fiber where it mixes the two. I like the consistent texture as it slides through my fingers.

If I take good care of the leather wheel w/ a little light soap + conditioner, it should banish skin oils and keep the leather legit.

My GTI's leather steering wheel suffered from me gripping it tightly during a super rainy night and it messed up parts of the leather. The More You Know...

Sales rep was very strongly in agreement regarding the GT steering wheel. I prefer a smaller and chunkier steering wheel, plus it reduces some of the gray accenting.

When I did the test drive, I was focusing on the drive and had not noticed that LCA was in the demo car. But I moved to change lanes and BANG those red glowing lines caught my eye. Realy great execution on their lane change implementation. Clearly catches your attention when you want it. I had rented a GMC Denali for a trip w/ friends and their implementation is a tiny glowing etching in the side mirrors. Handy, but Porsche did a much better and sportier way to execution.

#14 ·
Glad you called that out!

Since I was initially going w/ a Boxster, I never had that option in the website configurator. So I started optioning the Cayman and it jumped out as something newly available.

You point out that you don't see that chosen often. I think that comes down to car color choice. If you want a black car with dark wheels, it wouldn't work. Lava orange or Miami Blue? Wouldn't work there IMO.

With my build here I view it as:

- car is 80% white
- 15% black contrasting parts (front & rear black plastic near the ground, side black intakes, black parts within lighting assemblies, black PORSCHE strip on rear)
- 5% shiny / chrome "specular highlight" (like in 3D rendering) accents (headlight washers, silver tipped exhaust, silver accents within front and rear lights, unpainted aluminum wheels, and then... the chrome side window trim option)

Plus, it gives me 1 little extra distinctive thing that makes my exact build unlikely to exist anywhere else. ;)

Attachments

#9 ·
Congrats! I'm sure the Euro-delivery will be a real hoot. We did a PEC delivery at Atlanta (and drove the car home to NJ) and even that was a hoot.

You'll need to do photos of your trip and share. ;)

Our 718 is also a base white Cayman. You'll love it!

#10 ·
I have a similar but much more basic build. For using the CarPlay for navigation, like me, I recommend an exterior GPS. I use a Dual XGPS160. I do have the phone compartment and I think the booster does help for the signal and there is a 12v outlet on the passenger side tunnel wall for your trickle charger, etc. Because my car goes from my garage back into my garage, I find the Entry & Drive convenient. There's an unpublished trick to remove the key stub when you want to use the key for valet parking, etc.

#12 · (Edited)
I have a similar but much more basic build. For using the CarPlay for navigation, like me, I recommend an exterior GPS. I use a Dual XGPS160. I do have the phone compartment and I think the booster does help for the signal and there is a 12v outlet on the passenger side tunnel wall for your trickle charger, etc. Because my car goes from my garage back into my garage, I find the Entry & Drive convenient. There's an unpublished trick to remove the key stub when you want to use the key for valet parking, etc.

Interesting.....
Is it just for higher resolution?

#11 ·
Great selections!

I could only think of two if it’s me:

- 19” rims that will make it look more aggressive without sacrificing ride comfort and fuel economy

- 14-way that moulds the seat as near as possible to one’s body contours

And maybe a third one. I wrapped mine in satin pearl white that I simply love!

Attachments

#15 ·
I have a well-optioned 718 S including several of the items you note you omitted. Most everything is a personal choice so I wouldn't try to convince you one way or the other. I am though a huge fan of the 18-way Adaptive Sport Seats Plus. If you're on the fence about that but are willing to spend the extra, I'd opt for them.

#17 ·
Looks like good choices OP.

I like the Porsche Entry and Drive option because I like to not needing to take out the key when I drive. However, there are quite a few people that dislike the option for security concerns.

I got the two way basic seats (Sports two way seats) and able to get the seats into perfect position for my driving. But in retrospect, might have enjoyed power seats with memory. I find it hard sometimes to get into the car especially when parking is somewhat tight. Once clever trick is setting the seat to to all the way back for easy entry tied to the key, and when you are ready to drive, push for second setting which is your driving position. This will make body twisting less consuming.

Rear wiper is not needed for rain, but might come in handy if foggy window is common in the mornings. I am not sure if I would add it next time, but on the fence.

Stereo sound is dominated out by engine noise no matter which system. So I saved the money.

GT steering is marginally smaller in diameter. I did not like the black plastic, felt it was more flimsy than the silver plastic trim piece on the base steering wheel, but if you like the black accent more, then it works for the color. I think your black and beige interior will work well with the color of GT steering. Agate interior, not so much.

The main reason I passed on PASM was worry about lowered suspension height for my driveway and local speed bumps. Of course every GT car is PASM'd and seems to be fine.

Sports Chrono comes with rev matching for manual transmission, and I am in the traditional camp of doing it myself. Might have to hear how you like the addition of rev matching to the driving experience.

Enjoy the anticipation for the car!

#19 ·
I just picked up my new, custom S this weekend..Early thoughts:

1. Definitely glad I got the 18 way power seats. The extra adjustments are nice. In particular, entry and exit are much better with Comfort Entry moving steering wheel out of the way and scooting seat back. I would be unhappy with manual seats now.

2. Entry and Drive... is so much more than just not using a key (which is also nice). Proximity opening of hatches is just plain cool. Totally worth it in my opinion.

#21 ·
I just picked up my new, custom S this weekend..Early thoughts:

1. Definitely glad I got the 18 way power seats. The extra adjustments are nice. In particular, entry and exit are much better with Comfort Entry moving steering wheel out of the way and scooting seat back. I would be unhappy with manual seats now.

2. Entry and Drive... is so much more than just not using a key (which is also nice). Proximity opening of hatches is just plain cool. Totally worth it in my opinion.

thanks, that's something I wasn't aware of.
does this only work on drivers side?

#20 ·
Power seats: manual adjustment was fine in my buddy’s cars. It’s fine in my GTI. Although GTI has lumbar adjustment, which Porsche manual seats do not have, AFAIK. Wondering if lacking lumbar adjustment would bug me.

Looks like a great build! One suggestion, if you have not already done so, you may wish to sit in the 14-way and 18-way seats. Both are very comfortable, in my opinion.

#22 ·
My print brochure for the 718, with 2016 date listed, says this about 2-way Sport Seats Plus:

"Available as an option are Sport Seats Plus in Leather with electric backrest adjustment as well as mechanical height and fore/aft adjustment."

I cannot see the electric backrest adjustment in the photos. Where is it located? And by "backrest adjustment" does it mean lumbar?

#24 ·
I have found the 2 way Sport Seats Plus quite comfortable on 6+hour drives. I didn't want the extra weight of the electric motors. I went out of my way to keep my car lightweight and sporty, rather than luxurious.

I remember when I bought my first Porsche( Boxster S) back in 2006. It was a 1 year CPO and the car had a MSRP of over $63K. I got the car home and discovered it didn't have climate control, electric seats and a host of other things that I thought cars costing half the price had as standard. I was a bit WTF and aggravated. Then in 2018, I ordered a car from scratch and wasn't particularly constrained by budget. ( I cross shopped a 911 GTS) l ordered the 718 Cayman pretty stripped down... again...no climate control, no electric seats, no multifunction steering wheel, no heated seats ( but I did go for full leather GTS/deviated interior...couldn't give up the tactile experience.)

I guess keeping the car stripped down is an acquired taste, LOL. ;)

In any event, as mentioned, options are a personal choice. Everybody has their own quirks and priorities. Just make sure you buy the car for you and not for the next buyer.

#25 ·
I just placed my deposit for a base Cayman 718! Woo-hoo! Doing European Delivery in Zuffenhausen this September. Should be a 2020 model. :D

I test drove a Cayman S and Boxster S.

My buddy had a 986 Boxster S and 987 Cayman S that I have driven before. Since 718 base is basically equivalent to Cayman S 987 horsepower and torque, I am comfortable with 718 base. Also, my buddy’s Porsches were both manual, so I am comfortable 718 manual would be effectively identical.

Here is the build:

Bi-Xenon PDLS
Auto, 2-zone climate
Light Design
Power folding mirrors
Lane change assist
Extended range fuel tank

Smoking package
Carbon fiber trim
Model designation delete

Apple CarPlay

Omissions:

PTV: Sales guy suggested I drop it since I don’t plan to track this car. Maybe a little autocrossing but it’s mostly for fun weekend drives.

Rear wiper: I don’t want it since with any use it eventually forms a wiper line and I don’t want that visible line.

LED lights: I don’t like the wide 4-point appearance, and Bi-Xenons are plenty bright as I am used to halogens on my GTI.

Smartphone compartment: Sales guys says it’s merely a signal booster. Per website it also deletes an aux port in glove box, which I like to retain for whatever reason.

Boxster: I considered this, but in Texas, I just don’t need the sun beating down on me. I also found the Boxster visibility, top-down to still be worse than Cayman. I rarely use the sunroof on my GTI. No downside to omitting that with my GTI, whereas here going Boxster vs Cayman is far more different. I also plan to Suntek wrap the entire car so I can go through car washes. Cleaning a canvas top would be more irksome.

Porsche Entry and Drive: Pressing a button to unlock is not exactly difficult.

Power Steering Plus: seems unnecessary and I like tight steering feel.

Dashboard trim in leather: $1600 seems a bit rich for just a bit more dash leather that’s further away from me.

Navigation: No need to spend $2300 when I have Waze or Apple Maps.

Happy to hear all comments and opinions on the build! My allocation will freeze in ~ 2 months so I am constantly reviewing option selections on a daily basis.

Congrats,
You picked the right color:laugh:

#26 ·
Hey Graustark - congrats for your choices and enjoy the wait ... its part of the journey.
You asked about comments of your configuration. Well here they come ... BUT as the other guys here stated already:
It is YOUR CAR, YOUR CHOICES. So here are my 2 cents ;)

Here is the build:
Bi-Xenon PDLS
Auto, 2-zone climate
Light Design
Power folding mirrors
Lane change assist
Extended range fuel tank
Smoking package
Carbon fiber trim
Model designation delete
Apple CarPlay
6MT, PASM, Sport Chrono - Perfect!!!
I think that a car is also defined by its tires - so it would be the 19” for me.
Sport Seats Plus - work for me - if there are not too many drivers a good choice.
I would not mind the "Comfort Entry" - i mean if can not get in and out of the car ...
Side window trim in high gloss aluminum - Bit old style . but i see your point concerning the color setup

Omissions:
PTV: Sales guy ....
Rear wiper: ...
LED lights: I don’t like ...
Power seats: ...
Boxster: I considered ....
Porsche Entry and Drive: Pressing ...
Power Steering Plus: ...
Dashboard trim in leather: ...
Navigation: No need to ...
All good - especially the Rear wiper - thats a NoGo ;)
LED Lights. I like the 4-point appearance - so its a personal choice ....

You asked about rev-matching in Sport & Sport+ . short story: Its a killer - you don't want to miss it ;)

Have fun with your build! And well ... join the waiters club for a while ... >:D

#27 ·
Hey Graustark - congrats for your choices and enjoy the wait ... its part of the journey.
You asked about comments of your configuration. Well here they come ... BUT as the other guys here stated already:
It is YOUR CAR, YOUR CHOICES. So here are my 2 cents ;)

6MT, PASM, Sport Chrono - Perfect!!!
I think that a car is also defined by its tires - so it would be the 19” for me.
>:D
I agree with most of what C718GTS says, however, I love my stock 18" wheels and the tires. I just like the wheel design and they are easy to clean. I haven't seen any others on here who actually like the stock 18" wheels, but other than the design, I've been over numerous potholes this spring and I'm still rolling. And as my car was built with basic performance in mind, they are also my bow to some sort of comfort feature.

#29 ·
To the OP: Best to try out the seats for comfort and get in and out of the car with the door open only slightly. Don't do the showroom style get in where you open the door all the way since this is not what happens at a parking lot. This would have convinced me to get the power seats for $2330.

I personally liked the base sports seat without the plus since I could not get comfortable with the side bolster of Sports Plus seats pinching against my massive thighs. I never liked lumbar bulge, so the base seat fits me perfectly without the electric motor. But I like the ease of getting in with the motor assist, and not having to pull the manual lever every time.

#30 ·
Update:

1) Last I spoke to the SA a couple weeks ago, they are seeking an allocation now, but with the new GT4 and Spyder, it is adding some bottleneck. It's nearly 2 months from when I will be in Germany, so I am getting nervous it will be built in time, esp w/ the Germans' typical summer break.

2) My friends encouraged me to upgrade from the 18" Cayman wheels to the 20" Carrera S wheels w/ white paint match. I think this is indeed worth it. Though it is pretty hard to get an idea of the appearance in the configurator. It makes them look duller than the few times I have seen pics of painted while wheels on Boxster/Caymans.

3) Similar to that, I am hem-and-hawing on the side window trim in aluminum, but I think it works only because the car will be white, wheels white, and that shiny metal trim will continue to make it as white/bright as possible. I think it will accent the little bits of shiny metal on the front and back.

#31 ·
Oops, one more:

4) I will also now opt for the Rear Side Air Intake Grilles Painted in the matching white color.

Reactions: GTS18BGTS
#32 ·
Updated config photo w/ wheels, window trim, rear air intakes, to show how they all look together.

#37 · (Edited)
Updated config photo w/ wheels, window trim, rear air intakes, to show how they all look together.

View attachment 23491
I'm a huge fan of the side intakes in body color in any of the lighter color cars. I think it looks cleaner. I opted for the front and rear trim pieces in body color on mine as well for the same reason. Having said that, I think the aluminum window trim on your white car completes the look. Great choice! (I can't tell about the white wheels, although my inclination would be to leave them unpainted. Clearly a personal choice like the rest though.)

#35 ·
Spoke to the fellow today. No news still. I think we are just assuming that everything will be the same from 2019 to 2020.

#36 ·
CarPlay is a requirement for me, as a longtime Apple person. Great to hear about the 20s. When I test drove, I think both had 20s and I felt the ride was great. No complaints. Informatively firm, not uncomfortable, and not mushy at all.

#39 ·
I agree whole-heartedly, but in reference to wheel size, I would mention to consider where you will be driving the car and the condition of the roads you are likely to meet. My car is a toy for tooling around back country roads in Kentucky. Most roads are fine for any wheel size, but the little crappy roads between the nice twisty roads make me happy to have the extra sidewall of the 18".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.