Putting miles on Porsches. Drive them! - Porsche 718 Forum
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 Old 04-21-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Putting miles on Porsches. Drive them!

So Iím a new owner. Iíll be honest- Iím hesitant to drive my new beauty everywhere. I donít get excited taking it to places where the parking is tight- like in downtown or shopping malls. Iíll get over that eventually and I know itís part of my quirkinesses. Dings make me insane.

However I see and hear a lot of owners trying to keep mileage low on their Porsches! Is this true? I mean not driving them in winter with salted roads, etc makes sense. I guess driving them in bad weather in general isnít as fun. But just trying to keep mileage low to keep value up doesnít make sense to me. I respect those that really want to tap into the full capabilities of these cars by tracking them.

But garage queens? Not me.

2019 718S Stick, Night Blue Metallic, Black/Luxor Beige Leather, Power Sport Seats with Memory, Sport Chrono, misc other.
post #2 of 49 Old 04-21-2019, 12:10 PM

Garage
All my Porsches have been DD so alot of snow and salt.
No issues as of yet on my 713 (on my third) and my 986 have done 147000 miles and it still rolls

But thats me
Dan.B-Cayman and 718S like this.

For the fun of it.....
post #3 of 49 Old 04-21-2019, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 718S View Post
But just trying to keep mileage low to keep value up doesn’t make sense to me.
Agree; all cars, Porsches or otherwise, are meant to be driven. Cars that sit idle or are barely used don't hold up all that well.
Viffermike, X2Board and 718S like this.

2018/991.2 GT Silver Metallic GT2-RS

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" ~ Vince Lombardi

"There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet" ~ Fleet Admiral William F. Halsey Jr.

post #4 of 49 Old 04-22-2019, 05:03 AM

Went for a ~40 + mile drive this morning just because I felt like it. I don't care what the mileage is by the time I come to change it. Shrouds dont have pockets and fun, like a 718 on twisties, is difficult to emulate from a nursing home. Like @johan , mine is my DD and I still feel the need to play. Bank holiday Monday morning. Few drivers on the road other than enthusiasts in Caterhams, kit cars and classics.
post #5 of 49 Old 04-22-2019, 06:47 AM

Garage
Putting on miles is what a car like a Porsche is all about! (Though that doesn't seem to be true over on rennlist.) If I was concerned about resale value I wouldn't have bought mine in the first place. I'd rather be driving it than sitting at home looking at it. Except that I can look at it with a beer in my hand, which I can't do while driving.

Jim, on my second Porsche. The first was a 912 in a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
post #6 of 49 Old 04-22-2019, 07:04 AM

Garage
A car is not a car if you don't drive it, then it will just become a lawn ornament.
Don't make your Porsche sad, drive it every chance you get
K2Kraze likes this.
post #7 of 49 Old 04-22-2019, 07:33 AM

Garage
Like you, I will avoid driving in salt. And if the parking or traffic seems dicey, I will take one of our other cars.

To be honest, I hate driving any of our cars if there is increased chance of dings or damage (even my GMC cargo van). This is what Uber is for.

One of the things I try to do is to plan ahead in terms of safe parking. Even if I have to park pretty far way from my destination and walk a fair distance.
And sometimes I just choose to leave the 718 home. Right now I am a 6 hour drive from home, visiting relatives over Easter. I knew the parking on this trip would be sketchy so the Porsche stayed home. It's a shame but I also don't want to be worried about it during this entire trip.

Still, I try not to obsess too much and drive the Cayman fairly often. It's all a balance. So far, in about 16 months, I've put almost 8000 miles on it.
718S likes this.

- - - - W.Z.
post #8 of 49 Old 04-22-2019, 08:24 AM

I couldn't care less about the mileage and use mine as a daily. Yesterday I went for a drive around some of the best driving roads in Scotland (A835/A832/Bealach Na Ba) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I even enjoy driving it to the shops! However, when I stopped off in Inverness for a coffee, some numpty parked right next to me, even though the car park was more or less empty. That really winds me up!
718-Mark and 718S like this.
post #9 of 49 Old 04-22-2019, 09:08 AM

The Cayman is my only car and therefore a daily driver.
However if i am going somewhere with dodgy or tight parking i would rather use a taxi or public transport.
I too hate parking dings. I can't believe how careless some car users can be. I've always thought this way.
Any car costs a lot of money so why not take care of it.
718-Mark and 718S like this.
post #10 of 49 Old 04-22-2019, 09:26 AM

Garage
I've had to make several trips to see my Dad this past year. Each trip adds almost 1000 miles to the odo. My girl past 18K the last trip.
Well, before the last trip my wife asked me if I wanted to take her car instead. Can you believe that, the nerve! Me take her Accord vs my 718. A look was all that was required.
Like most here, I bought my car to drive.
Viffermike, X2Board and 718S like this.

2017 Boxster base - name:STORM
Graphite Blue, PDK, 19" Boxster S wheels
Multifunction Steering Wheel, Power Steering Plus
PCM, Bose Surround
Power Sport Seats, Premium Package

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page