s vs gts - Porsche 718 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 04-23-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

s vs gts

Trying to decide between an S and a GTS. First up was the S, it drove nice it had PASM and Sport Exhaust and had 2300 miles on it, overall it felt pretty tight and lively. The sport exhaust did not sound that great and you could barely tell it was there.

Next up was the GTS which only had 43 miles on it. Everything seemed much sharper and finer tuned. Suspension felt tighter, not sure if it had sport pasm or not. The car felt quicker to me and the turn in felt sharper as well. The exhaust also sounded better overall. The GTS just seemed like a finer tuned version of thr S. I know it has a little more HP, unless porsche is understating it on the GTS.

I dont know if it was just a psychological thing that it was a GTS or what, it just felt like it drove better overall.
Maybe because it was brand new?? I would think 2300 miles should not make a difference.

So bottom line I have a deal on a speed yellow gts. Has all the options I would want except PDLS. Is that standard maybe on the GTS? If not i guess it has standard lights?? How are those?? Weird that they would leave that out.

Its a $92,270 build they were asking $83k, now got them down to $76k. Is this a bad, ok, or pretty good dea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0001.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	21158  
post #2 of 26 Old 04-23-2019, 09:25 PM
don

Looks like the GTS it is really nicely optioned and with 43 miles that is really close to delivery miles so must be close to being like new. If you are going to keep the car for a while why not go the newer one and run it in a bit.

As long as the lights are the 35W xenon rather than the 25W then you are fine. If not there is a simple plug and play upgrade from the 25W to the 35W, you can read about it on here. The 35W lights are very good with or without PDLS.

Looks like you are getting approx 17% off the retail price which IMO sounds great given only 43 miles but I'm sure local people will chime in. Yellows tend to be harder to sell so that could also account for the discount.

The S and GTS with PASM should drive much the same. I'd say the S did not have the sport PASM. The sport part brings shorter springs and stiffer anti-roll bars and I think that can account for the sharper and more stable driving. If not the GTS I'd be looking for an S with sport PASM if you notice the difference and enjoy mountain style roads.

Remember with the GTS you also get the extra center radiator, slightly larger turbo and revised in take accounting for the different noise. Disable the soundactor on both cars for a more natural sound and slightly quieter cruising.

2019 Cayman GTS GT Silver

Last edited by don; 04-23-2019 at 09:28 PM.
post #3 of 26 Old 04-23-2019, 10:15 PM

Garage
The GTS also comes standard with PTV and a limited slip differential, which definitely helps tighten up turn in etc.

post #4 of 26 Old 04-23-2019, 11:05 PM

Why does the Warranty start March 2018 for the GTS? It is CPO with 43 miles? weird .
post #5 of 26 Old 04-24-2019, 03:48 AM

I was planning on buying an S until I test drove a GTS. For me the GTS was worth the extra coin compared to a heavily spec S.
I have no regrets with my decision

2018 Cayman GTS
post #6 of 26 Old 04-24-2019, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

The gts I am looking at is a yellow one 2018 with 3k miles. The gts I drove was red with 43miles on it.

The good deal is on the yellow one which I want
post #7 of 26 Old 04-24-2019, 07:26 AM
GTS

That's a fantastic deal on a practically new GTS. Why are you even asking us? Seems like a no brainier if it fits within your budget.

2018 Cayman GTS - Sapphire Blue Metallic
post #8 of 26 Old 04-24-2019, 01:28 PM

I guy I used to work with told me a long time ago "always buy the fully optioned car". He was and is right. Every time you drive a low optioned car you will think about what it would be like to have this or that; what went in that blanked out switch spot that I don't have. When you buy quality you only cry once. When you buy lesser model you cry every time you think about it. You only live once! It's an easy choice, get the GTS!

2018 718 GTS, Grey with most of the bells and whistles
post #9 of 26 Old 04-24-2019, 02:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearupmd11 View Post
I guy I used to work with told me a long time ago "always buy the fully optioned car". He was and is right. Every time you drive a low optioned car you will think about what it would be like to have this or that; what went in that blanked out switch spot that I don't have. When you buy quality you only cry once. When you buy lesser model you cry every time you think about it. You only live once! It's an easy choice, get the GTS!
Haha! That's funny in a way. Because a base model is $60K and GTS can be close to $100K. That's not chump change in my world. **** the difference in cost alone can be enough to buy another very nice car.

So... IMO it's an individual thing. Like in my case I got a super deal on a brand new S model that had the things I really wanted. I will never pay $2K for Nav, $2K for PASM where I'd probably never be able to use on the roads around here, etc, etc. There are plenty of options I don't want. Some that I absolutely want.

So... I politely disagree.
Graustark likes this.

2019 718S Stick, Night Blue Metallic, Black/Luxor Beige Leather, Power Sport Seats with Memory, Sport Chrono, misc other.
post #10 of 26 Old 04-24-2019, 04:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 718S View Post
So... IMO it's an individual thing.
Exactly - thats what it is . on a DD i would always option PASM for instance
718S likes this.

2019 CGTS Jet Black Metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page