Engine explained - Porsche 718 Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-11-2019, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Engine explained

I happened to come across this video on 718 engines. Although quite old, I've never previously seen it & thought it had been worth the watch. With that in mind I assume some of you might too, so here it is :-
RotorOver and 718S like this.

Last edited by Chilli; 05-11-2019 at 03:34 AM.
post #2 of 16 Old 05-11-2019, 07:00 AM

Garage
Hmm. Interesting video but it doesn't really say much. More of a PR film. FWIW, it makes one technical misstatement too. The boxer-style engine didn't start with the car mentioned. It started with the original 356, and before that Ferdinand's VW. Ferry's first sports car prototype, Porsche #1, was in fact mid-engine but he realized they couldn't sell it without more storage space or nominal back seat. Thus they turned it around back to the VW layout to produce the 356.

Jim, on my second Porsche. The first was a 912 in a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-11-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmuller View Post
Hmm. Interesting video but it doesn't really say much. More of a PR film. FWIW, it makes one technical misstatement too. The boxer-style engine didn't start with the car mentioned. It started with the original 356, and before that Ferdinand's VW. Ferry's first sports car prototype, Porsche #1, was in fact mid-engine but he realized they couldn't sell it without more storage space or nominal back seat. Thus they turned it around back to the VW layout to produce the 356.
Perhaps you missed the beginning, but it states quite clearly that "Porsche started out with a four cylinder Boxer engine, first in the 356, in the 550 Spyder & in the 718 of course'. Not only is a 356 mentioned right at the very beginning, but the above statement doesn't lay claim to Porsche having been the first to use a Boxer engine. Being as the gentleman being interviewed not only works for Porsche but was in fact the development manager for the engine powering your vehicle, I have a strong suspicion he both knows what he's talking about & is well aware of the flat four layout having been used earlier by VW. He'll also have no doubt been well aware that most of the mechanicals of the 356 were in fact robbed from the VW Beetle.

Last edited by Chilli; 05-11-2019 at 09:32 AM.

post #4 of 16 Old 05-11-2019, 09:08 AM

Garage
I went from this video to another that was a PCA video introducing the 718 Boxster and its new engine. It was pretty cool, and apparently they thought they reproduced the right exhaust notes (which of course is widely debated). It is, however, I nice look at a 2.5 liter engine with only 10 or 11 miles on it.
Chilli, RotorOver, Beardy and 1 others like this.

JazzCatGab
Kentucky
2019 Base Cayman
-----------------------
Manual shift, 18" wheels, PASM, Sports Chrono, black tailpipes, cellphone compartment, CarPlay, PE&D
post #5 of 16 Old 05-11-2019, 12:38 PM

Great videos. Thanks for sharing.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-11-2019, 07:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
Perhaps you missed the beginning, but it states quite clearly that "Porsche started out with a four cylinder Boxer engine, first in the 356...
Yes, I did miss that mention of the 356.

I still say that video was more fluff than content. The video part itself showed lots of imagery which didn't contribute to the commentary. The commentary could have stood as an audio file and been just as informative.

Jim, on my second Porsche. The first was a 912 in a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-12-2019, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, I did miss that mention of the 356.

I still say that video was more fluff than content. The video part itself showed lots of imagery which didn't contribute to the commentary. The commentary could have stood as an audio file and been just as informative.
Hey, I didn't make the video, I just saw it, personally enjoyed it & posted it for the benefit of others, some of whom I thought might enjoy it too. You already made one incorrect & rather inane comment about its content before you'd even bothered to watch it properly. Not only did you completely fail to register the mention of the 356 at the beginning, but you were also clearly oblivious to the fact that the gentleman on the screen (Markus Baumann) was the development manager for Boxer engines. Surely it must be that, or you'd have realised that you must be in error & watched the video again before making a comment about technical inaccuracies. Or is it that you mistakenly believe that somehow you know more than he does? The reality is that he probably knows more about the subject than all of us put together. Did the video go into great depth? No. Was it entertaining? Well, I thought so, but if others disagree that's fine, no problem. At least most people have better things to do than constantly whinge & whine about it. What exactly is it that you're trying to achieve with your disapproving comments anyway? The reason I ask, is that all they could ever do is serve to dissuade others from posting & it will soon become a very boring forum indeed, should that ever happen.
CupraLeon likes this.

Last edited by Chilli; 05-12-2019 at 05:27 AM.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-12-2019, 07:30 AM

Garage
Thanks for sharing. I try to watch all the PCA and Porsche marketing videos but somehow missed the one on the 718 engine.

Current: 2018 Cayman, Black with black leather interior, Cayman S wheels, 6MT, numerous performance and luxury options
Previous: 2014 Cayman, Black with black interior, Cayman S wheels, 6MT
Previous: 1986 944, Stone Gray with black interior, phone dial wheels, 5MT
post #9 of 16 Old 05-12-2019, 07:48 AM

Garage
Chili, why the personal attack? I didn't criticize you for posting it. I merely described it as what it is, a PR/Marketing video that was disappointingly short on "details" and visual ones. I admitted I missed the early comment about the 356; the car number zipped by rather quickly in English against the background German. (I think he missed mentioning the 912 but I'm not going to re-watch just to be sure.) I never said the narrator didn't know what he was talking about (and I did read his title at the beginning). The spoken text was clearly written for marketing purposes, most likely in response to those who would criticize the 718 as a regression back to a 4-cylinder engine. You or I could have read it just as effectively as the English narrator did.

That clip was enjoyable but I came away wanting more of what the title suggested. "Details explained"? No.

Last edited by jimmuller; 05-12-2019 at 08:11 AM.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-12-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Chili, why the personal attack? I didn't criticize you for posting it. I merely described it as what it is, a PR/Marketing video that was disappointingly short on "details" and visual ones. I admitted I missed the early comment about the 356; the car number zipped by rather quickly in English against the background German. I never said the narrator didn't know what he was talking about (and I did read his title at the beginning). The spoken text was clearly written for marketing purposes, most likely in response to those who would criticize the 718 as a regression back to a 4-cylinder engine. You or I could have read it just as effectively as the English narrator did.

That clip was enjoyable but I came away wanting more of what the title suggested. "Details explained"? No.
What personal attack? I described your first comment as being exactly what it was, incorrect & inane. You now stating that you did read his title actually makes it worse, how on earth could you honestly think you knew more about Porsche history than he did? Furthermore & like I already asked what does whinging & whining about perceived lack of content in the video achieve other than to dissuade others from posting? Exactly what was the point of your doing so? Obviously people continuing to post articles they think might be of interest will mean you'll occasionally see posts that don't meet with your personal approval, but what's so hard about simply moving on to the next one?

Last edited by Chilli; 05-12-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page