Has Porsche ever missed? - Porsche 718 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-12-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Has Porsche ever missed?

Being new to the brand and naive to the history, and with all the speculation about the next generation, I'm wondering about past history. Some/most of you are more astute and will likely know if Porsche has ever "missed" on design/engineering to the point that they substantially (I know, subjective) revamped after the initial four-year model run? It is hard to believe they would abandon the flat 4 in just 4 years since it seems they tend to tweak things gradually.
post #2 of 8 Old 05-12-2019, 04:28 PM

Garage
Iím new too and trying to learn. At least technically there have been Ďmissesí technology-wise for sure. Look up IMS bearing for example. Even great companies make mistakes. I love my 4 turbo. Some might think that was a miss.

2019 718S Stick, Night Blue Metallic, Black/Luxor Beige Leather, Power Sport Seats with Memory, Sport Chrono, misc other.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-13-2019, 08:17 AM

Garage
In this edition of Christophorus, there is a 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport featured with a six-cylinder naturally aspirated engine (they didn't specifically say naturally aspirated) and all sorts of other racing goodies. Don't know how limited the run will be or how much they will cost, but bet it will be small and large respectively.

JazzCatGab
Kentucky
2019 Base Cayman
-----------------------
Manual shift, 18" wheels, PASM, Sports Chrono, black tailpipes, cellphone compartment, CarPlay, PE&D

post #4 of 8 Old 05-13-2019, 09:54 AM

Garage
Have they ever missed? I don't know about 4-year-run targets but some people would say they have made judgment errors in the past. The front engine 924, 944, 928 cars were deviations from previous engineering. They deservedly have their adherents but they also had their complainers back in the day. I believe the 928 is now considered quite desirable. When the 914 came out it was perceived to be just a VW engine in a fancy body, which was sort of true. The 914-6 was supposedly prone to spinning out. Then again, so was the 911 in its early days. Porsche had at least one not very successful effort at running F1 but wisely decided it made no sense since they couldn't sell F1 cars to anyone, not even to other F1 competitors. So yeah, they have made mistakes in the past.

Jim, on my second Porsche. The first was a 912 in a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-13-2019, 08:42 PM

Garage
There are people who would say Porsche made a big mistake when they switched the 356 to rear engine. The first car was mid-engine but Dr. Porsche felt the rear engine setup was more practical in terms of interior space.

I really think they kept the swing-axles for far too long in the 356. The engineer in me thinks they should have moved to an articulated suspension by the late 50s. I love the appearance of the 356 but I find the rear suspension is spooky and I'm not a fan of driving them.

I love the 914/4 but I know not everyone is a fan. The first one I saw (at Lime Rock) had "VW/Porsche" badges. They can be rust traps, especially in the "he11-hole" area near the battery.

Just as the 914 was seen as a hopped up VW, the 924 was seen as a parts-bin Special built with Audi parts. Personally, I'm a fan of the 924 as well as the 944 and it's derivatives. These are front-engine cars with transaxles so the shift linkage is long and can get wonky with age.

The 928 was seen by some people as too complicated, too difficult to work on, too expensive and too different. I was never a fan but there are people who love them..

More recently the IMS bearing in the water-cooled sixes (mentioned above) was sort of a screw up.

Porsche has been involved in the Dieselgate scandal, which has been a really expensive screw up for them.

The modern Porsche SUVs have been a huge sales success and really helped the bottom line. But there a part of me that wishes they could have just stuck to sports cars. Lots of opinions on this at our local PCA.

- - - - W.Z.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-15-2019, 12:56 AM

Garage
Porsche produced around

-118,000 of the 914
-150,000 of the 924
-163,000 of the 944
- 12,766 of the 968
- 61,000 of the 928
-Over 450,000 of all the Boxster/Cayman models
-The SUV models have sold exceeding well

Remember that in the early-to-mid 90s Porsche was on the brink of disaster. Although the sales of the 968 look poor by itself, total Porsche sales at the time were in trouble. The fabled 993 sold much less than expected. It was the 996 911 and the 986 Boxster that saved Porsche.

May the number of surfaces exceed the number of dives by at least one
post #7 of 8 Old 05-15-2019, 05:09 PM

I don't think they have ever missed as such but thinking that the 928 would replace the 911 was not exactly their finest moment.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-15-2019, 05:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm E Cay View Post
I don't think they have ever missed as such but thinking that the 928 would replace the 911 was not exactly their finest moment.
Possibly. However, Porsche never did cease or even throttle back the production of the 911 during the 928's run.

I was a huge fan of the 928. Probably even more so than the 911 itself. Of course I was just a kid at the time. Yet I still love the 928 today. I am a bit of a Porsche fanboy though.

Plus, if I'm being chased by Guido the Killer Pimp, the only thing I need is a 928. "There is no..." You know the line.

May the number of surfaces exceed the number of dives by at least one

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page