Turbo Noise - Wssshhhhh - Porsche 718 Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 05-17-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
vhs

Garage
Turbo Noise - Wssshhhhh

I never noticed the sound when I had the windows closed, and it doesn't seem to occur in Normal mode (there isn't much turbo kick in). In Sport and Sport Plus, I hear a "wsshhhhh" type of noise when accelerating and noticed that the turbo is kicking in when I hear it.

Is this normal? If so, is there anything I can do about it? Does the Soundaktor make it worse?

I'm starting to suspect my car may have been a car used on Porsche track day event. Today I noticed some residue from a Mobil 1 decal on the rear of the car. I was told that my car was a company car, probably used by senior execs and management. However, the sticker residue with the options on the car seem a little strange. Is there anything else that could indicate it was tracked? Unofficially, it seems faster than it should be with my self-hacked and unofficial 0-100mph time.

So I'm a little concerned about all of the little things that are new to me as a Porsche owner and just wondering if all is good. I bought it from a Audi/Porsche dealer (but it came through the Audi end. I don't know if it was because it was used (4800 miles, 2018) or something else.

Thanks

2018 CPO 718C, Sport Chrono, PASM, PTV, PDK, 20" Carrera S, GT Wheel, Connect w/ApplePlay, Wht/Blk w/ Guards Red belts
post #2 of 29 Old 05-17-2019, 06:39 PM

Garage
Wait. So you see decal residue and because of that you think it was tracked? How do you know the decal residue was Mobile oil? Paranoid?

2019 718S Stick, Night Blue Metallic, Black/Luxor Beige Leather, Power Sport Seats with Memory, Sport Chrono, misc other.
post #3 of 29 Old 05-17-2019, 06:47 PM

Garage
Turbo whoosh? I pull into my driveway this afternoon and my neighbor who was washing his BMW motorcycle said "Your cars always sound better than my motorcycles!"

How does a decal indicate it had been tracked? Am I missing something?

Jim, on my second Porsche. The first was a 912 in a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

post #4 of 29 Old 05-17-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
vhs

Garage
I can see that it was a Mobil 1 sticker. Doesn't that seem a little weird? I can understand a Cobb sticker, I see lots of those, but never an oil brand unless it was a sponsorship. My car's options seem a little strange for a corporate buggy (description in my signature).

As for the sound, again I only notice it with the window down and coincides with the turbo kicking (as seen by the gauge). That's why I suspected it was the turbo. I don't drive the car often with the windows down because I haven't gotten the wind buffeting diffusers installed yet.

2018 CPO 718C, Sport Chrono, PASM, PTV, PDK, 20" Carrera S, GT Wheel, Connect w/ApplePlay, Wht/Blk w/ Guards Red belts
post #5 of 29 Old 05-17-2019, 10:34 PM

Car options look great for a dealer demo, manager, owner or otheerwise corporate clients car. They would help sell other cars and options. I wouldn't worrying about it. You have a warranty. I did a Porsche experience last July with brand new cars on track. They were supposedly to be sold at the end of the events with full warranty despite being driven hard with no breakin drives. Those caymans were red so not yours.

I wouldnt worry about it.
post #6 of 29 Old 05-18-2019, 03:13 AM

Garage
In my BGTS i can hear the turbo wind up when i press the pedal, but no "waste gate" sound.
Mine has not had any sticker on it

I did not hear the same thing on my 718 BS or 718CS.

For the fun of it.....
post #7 of 29 Old 05-18-2019, 04:59 AM

It could have been a PEC car. The ones I drove had Mobile 1 stickers.
Viffermike and jungspike like this.
post #8 of 29 Old 05-18-2019, 08:10 AM

Is the noise not simply the turbo spooling up? You can definitely hear it outside of the car; at least on the 'S' anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakiChan View Post
It could have been a PEC car. The ones I drove had Mobile 1 stickers.
Might well be on to something there: https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/pors...UYDqU3hWZAj69A. But perhaps not.

Did the car have brand new tyres (all-round) on when you bought it? Not sure how US Porsche Centres operate, but in the UK they would usually only put new tyres on a used approved car if the tread depth was below 3mm. And if driven 'normally' I would expect a car that had only covered 4,800 miles to still have 4-5mm of tread.
post #9 of 29 Old 05-18-2019, 11:15 AM

Garage
My 718 is a Boxster and of course I drive it with the roof down as much as possible.
This also makes it easier to hear the engine, and mine also makes the turbo spooling noise when accelerating, so that is totally normal.
post #10 of 29 Old 05-18-2019, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 718S View Post
Wait. So you see decal residue and because of that you think it was tracked? How do you know the decal residue was Mobile oil? Paranoid?
I think @vhs is thoughtful and asking important questions.......due diligence. After I dropped off my 3RS which had been properly broken in and never tracked the general manager put another 500 miles on the car before listing it for sale; was the 3RS tracked/abused? DK.........concerning.

2018/991.2 GT Silver Metallic GT2-RS

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" ~ Vince Lombardi

"There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet" ~ Fleet Admiral William F. Halsey Jr.

Last edited by Porsche2018; 05-18-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page