Putting to N on PDK - Porsche 718 Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 06-10-2019, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Putting to N on PDK

My city driving can be on standstill often ... Any benefit or harm to our PDK tranny if i were to put it on Neutral of the wait is around 3-5 mins ???
post #2 of 24 Old 06-10-2019, 06:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Goh View Post
My city driving can be on standstill often ... Any benefit or harm to our PDK tranny if i were to put it on Neutral of the wait is around 3-5 mins ???
I cant see that it would be an issue, also you can use the Start/Stop or a quick tap on both paddles at once to put it in neutral.

For the fun of it.....
post #3 of 24 Old 06-10-2019, 08:05 AM

Use the Start/Stop and/or the "Hold" function.
grasmere likes this.

post #4 of 24 Old 06-10-2019, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

I do not like auto start stop feature as i belongs to the old school of frequent cranking will put strains on the battery and engine mounting ...
Dan.B-Cayman likes this.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-10-2019, 10:58 AM

Pull both paddles simultaneously. The pull any lever to engage 1st.

(Will need to have your foot on the brake whilst pulling the paddles for it to work)
post #6 of 24 Old 06-10-2019, 11:15 AM

Garage
As stated above, there should be no trouble with putting the PDK into neutral. That's what neutral is for. However if I knew I'd be stopped for five minutes I'd use auto-stop/start or just turn off the engine. For sluggish rush hour driving that moves 20 ft, stops, moves 20 ft, stops, etc. every few seconds I'd avoid auto-stop/start.
Dan.B-Cayman likes this.

Jim, on my second Porsche. The first was a 912 in a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
post #7 of 24 Old 06-10-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I do not like auto start stop feature as i belongs to the old school of frequent cranking will put strains on the battery and engine mounting ...

not really. if porsche used a system anything at all like bmw you have very little, if anything, to worry about. in my 5 series the auto start lines up the engine with one cylinder at the top so when the plug sparks and the fuel explosion started it starts the block moving again. the starter is almost never used.

He once taught a german shepherd how to bark in Spanish.
When he drives a car off the lot it's price increases.
He once won the Tour-de-France but was disqualified for using a unicycle.

I don't always drive a sports car, but when I do it's a Porsche. Stay fast my friends.
post #8 of 24 Old 06-11-2019, 02:11 AM
vhs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 718 View Post
Pull both paddles simultaneously. The pull any lever to engage 1st.

(Will need to have your foot on the brake whilst pulling the paddles for it to work)
No need to apply the brakes, you can do this while the car is moving and in any gear (maybe not reverse, I haven't tried that). It's on pg. 263 in the manual.

I haven't figured out "coasting mode". The manual seems to say it's just taking your foot off of the throttle. It doesn't seem like anything but just that.

2018 CPO 718C, Sport Chrono, PASM, PTV, PDK, 20" Carrera S, GT Wheel, Connect w/ApplePlay, Wht/Blk w/ Guards Red belts
post #9 of 24 Old 06-11-2019, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Ok, but that's also not entirely true. The battery and starter motor of a car with auto-start/stop are engineered to be more robust than cars without the feature.
aeronca65tl likes this.
post #10 of 24 Old 06-11-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhs View Post
No need to apply the brakes, you can do this while the car is moving and in any gear (maybe not reverse, I haven't tried that). It's on pg. 263 in the manual.

I haven't figured out "coasting mode". The manual seems to say it's just taking your foot off of the throttle. It doesn't seem like anything but just that.
When stopped and using the 2 paddle pull method for neutral, to get back into 1st gear (again while stopped), the brake pedal must be pressed. While in motion, yes, either paddle can be selected to put in gear while coasting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page