The exhaust sound - Porsche 718 Forum
 77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 81 Old 07-30-2018, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The exhaust sound

Didn't mind it much at first with my GTS, but after a lengthy drive yesterday, I found it quite grating after a time. I kinda wish I had looked for a cream puff 2016 with the six.

2018 718 Cayman GTS
post #2 of 81 Old 07-30-2018, 01:18 AM

Have you disabled the sound enhancer?
post #3 of 81 Old 07-30-2018, 07:16 AM
DJL

Just arrived home from work on the day after disconnecting the soundaktor. Mine is a simple base Cayman, but I expect there will be a similar experience with the GTS. Half way home I decided to take the (very) long way, because the car is a much more pleasant place to be without the artificial sound created by a device that vibrates the fire wall. For the first time, I stayed in Sport mode all the way. Why might this be the case?

First, a fire wall is no organ pipe - the odds of it producing an ear-pleasing tone seem low. It may resonate at certain frequencies, but regardless of the sondaktor's efforts, these resonances seem unlikely to follow the natural harmonics of the engine as it goes through its rev range. This will produce dissonance - either because the vibrations of the fire wall will not match the engine frequency, or will be out of phase with the engine's sound.

Second, the human brain works harder when a sound isn't quite right, and this produces headaches. To understand this in practice, listen to a great album that you know very well on a really bad pair of headphones or an really bad old radio: After a while, you will get a headache. While the psycho-acquistics are not fully understood, it seems that the brain takes what it hears and 'adds back' what it knows ought to be there. So, it seems plausible that we all know what a great engine sounds like, and our brains are trying to make our cars sound good by 'fixing' the inadequate and confusing sounds produced by he soundaktor.

Anyway, it's easy to disconnect - and equally easy to reconnect if you prefer the sound with the soundaktor enabled.
ArchiProf, johan, Semitone and 2 others like this.

post #4 of 81 Old 07-30-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Anybody got a how to on disconnecting this thing?

2018 718 Cayman GTS
post #5 of 81 Old 07-30-2018, 01:01 PM
DJL

See @panda ís post #29 here: https://www.718forum.com/forum/elect...nerator-3.html

The trim panel is semi-rigid and pulls out easily. A 3mm or 5mm flat blade screwdriver is needed to push the the plug downward/out. Took no more than 30 seconds
post #6 of 81 Old 07-30-2018, 01:48 PM

Found a pretty good picture of it disconnected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sound.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	16876  
Graustark likes this.

2018 718C, GT Silver, Full Leather Interior in Black/Bordeaux, PDK, 19Ē Cayman S Wheels, Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest, 14 Ways Seats with Memory Package, Premium Package, Deletion of Model Designation, Power Folding Side Mirrors, Extended Range Fuel Tank, Light Design Package, Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel, Smoking Package, Porsche Crest on Headrests, Brushed Aluminum Package, Porsche Connect and Bose.
post #7 of 81 Old 07-30-2018, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys. Im going to see what it's like disconnected. My GT350 is twice as loud with the pipes in the loud mode and I never tire of it and it doesn't bother me in the least. The 718 is a beast power wise and handles superbly. Comfortable also. The sound just doesn't do anything for me. I may trade for a 911 Carrera come spring.

2018 718 Cayman GTS
post #8 of 81 Old 08-03-2018, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Alrighty. Looks like Porsche either eliminated the soundactor on the 2018 GTS or moved it somewhere else. I pulled the panel and looked for it and the two studs it's supposed to mount to are there but no soundactor mounted, nor the wiring harness or plug. It was a real SOB getting the panel back in place. Waste of 10 minutes of my life.

Maybe someone with an 18 GTS will eventually be privy to where they put it or if indeed they eliminated it altogether.

2018 718 Cayman GTS
post #9 of 81 Old 08-03-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggly View Post
Alrighty. Looks like Porsche either eliminated the soundactor on the 2018 GTS or moved it somewhere else. I pulled the panel and looked for it and the two studs it's supposed to mount to are there but no soundactor mounted, nor the wiring harness or plug. It was a real SOB getting the panel back in place. Waste of 10 minutes of my life.

Maybe someone with an 18 GTS will eventually be privy to where they put it or if indeed they eliminated it altogether.
Glad I havenít bothered yet, Iíd find a way to mess it up....maybe Iíll have the dealer do it someday. I notice a big difference in sound between Sport and Sport+. For long distance driving, Sport mode gets tiring. I sometimes think about an after market exhaust , but donít want the intrusive fake sound .
post #10 of 81 Old 08-03-2018, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaji View Post
Glad I haven’t bothered yet, I’d find a way to mess it up....maybe I’ll have the dealer do it someday. I notice a big difference in sound between Sport and Sport+. For long distance driving, Sport mode gets tiring. I sometimes think about an after market exhaust , but don’t want the intrusive fake sound .
If you do go to the dealer and inquire about it, be sure to post what you find out. Like mine, yours is also an 18 GTS and I doubt that mine is an isolated anomaly. The mounting studs are clearly present where the soundactor should be and there is none present, so I would assume they didn't use it on the GTS.
Guaji likes this.

2018 718 Cayman GTS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page