My carís a Moron Magnet - Page 4 - Porsche 718 Forum
 68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 75 Old 04-20-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche2018 View Post
I fortunately have never been pulled over for speeding in my Porsches. I just stay on the backroads for spirited driving, and when I am on public highways I obey the speed limit.
The speed limit??? Yipes! No one drives the speed limit around here.

I make a point never ever to race. I set the cruise at 78mph on the highway and leave it there. It's too easy to get to the "happy place" with these cars and that's waaayyy too fast...at least from a stay out of jail perspective. Under 80 and driving like an adult is good enough in my area and in most of the midwest. In the cities, maybe it's different, in construction zones, also different. If all the traffic is going fast and keeping good interval, I will go with the flow. I think it's safer than making an obstacle of myself.

I've found that on the East Coast, Maryland, E. PA, NY, DC, speeding on interstates is considered more of a problem. Probably this is because they are not built as well.

I've found that West of the Mississippi, things get progressively more loose, especially out of town. The speed limit in S. Dakota is 85, I think. Nebraska is 80. I speed up in those states.

'74 BMW 2002tii
'83 911SC
'89' BMW M3
'95 BMW M3-Track Rat with boocoo mods.
'06 Cayman S with many cool tricks and spares...Gone.
'19 Carrera T: Said goodbye, with tears in my eyes.
'18 Cayman GTS: Saying hello and loving it so far
post #32 of 75 Old 04-21-2019, 09:32 AM

Garage
Iím a noob wrt being a Porsche owner. I tend to drive speed limits as Iím concerned about getting pulled over by an over anxious LEO. Hard to find safe, empty roads to have fun but Iíll be on the lookout!

My annoyances come from young punks in crapboxes that insist on tailgating you. Especially the ones texting and driving.

Iíll be honest. Iím now much more observant of my surroundings. I just want nice quiet windy roads to listen to the car Iím driving.

2019 718S Stick, Night Blue Metallic, Black/Luxor Beige Leather, Power Sport Seats with Memory, Sport Chrono, misc other.
post #33 of 75 Old 04-21-2019, 05:22 PM

Garage
Somehow this thread morphed into a discussion of avoiding speeding tickets. A worthwhile subject seein' as how none of us likes getting them. (Where's the eek! emoji?)

I've been driving my 718C more cautiously than I drive my Caravan. I feel like I'm wearing a big sign saying Look at me! Today I went through a radar trap in a 35 zone. I was doing 36. If I'd gone through at 45 as some people do I'd have been pulled. At least I think so.
aeronca65tl likes this.

Jim, on my second Porsche. The first was a 912 in a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

post #34 of 75 Old 04-26-2019, 02:34 PM

The big problem in the East is that in general the posted speed limit is 55 or 65, but the behavioral limit is somewhere around 75. That gives the police a lot of discretion about whether they will or wont ticket you. If you're in a Porsche or really anything for that matter, you to a very large degree at the mercy of whether the donuts were fresh that morning.

My rule of thumb, which has only failed me once in four decades, has essentially been to let the other guy take the rap. Never be the fastest car on the road. Cede the lead. Its a public road, not a race track, despite so many on it feeling the need to win. Its a strategy that might not get you a first place trophy at the Glen, but OTOH, I-95 aint the Glen, getting the top prize there means adding a speeding ticket to the trophy case.
Viffermike and aeronca65tl like this.

2017 Cayman S
2000 911 C2 Brumos B59 Special Edition
1970/73 911 RSR 3.2 Clone
post #35 of 75 Old 04-26-2019, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwagger View Post
Its a strategy that might not get you a first place trophy at the Glen, but OTOH, I-95 aint the Glen, getting the top prize there means adding a speeding ticket to the trophy case.
Also it may entitle you to a set of silver bracelets and ride in the back of a car with pretty colored lights, and just before the haul you away you get to wave goodbye to your Porsche when it's being towed(evidence).
aeronca65tl and Tailwagger like this.

2018/991.2 GT Silver Metallic GT2-RS

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" ~ Vince Lombardi

"There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet" ~ Fleet Admiral William F. Halsey Jr.
post #36 of 75 Old 04-26-2019, 06:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwagger View Post
The big problem in the East is that in general the posted speed limit is 55 or 65, but the behavioral limit is somewhere around 75...

My rule of thumb, which has only failed me once in four decades, has essentially been to let the other guy take the rap. Never be the fastest car on the road.
Sound thoughts.

Morning commute traffic on I-95 around Boston (known locally as 128 because that was the original state route number before it was I-95) hits 80 in spots and I've had co-workers say it hits 90 at earlier hours. If traffic slowed to legal speeds no one would get to work on time and lots of folks would end up with bent fenders and blown tempers.

I work hard at not appearing to be in a hurry. Because it is safer I keep a much longer distance behind whoever is in front of me than most people, particular the serious speeders. I like to think that it also makes me appear less aggressive. So far it has...no, I won't push my luck by saying it.

Jim, on my second Porsche. The first was a 912 in a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
post #37 of 75 Old 04-27-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmuller View Post
Sound thoughts.

Morning commute traffic on I-95 around Boston (known locally as 128 because that was the original state route number before it was I-95) hits 80 in spots and I've had co-workers say it hits 90...
When I say 75, I'm speaking from a troopers POV not the commuters. There's no doubt that many, many citizens see it as 85 as reasonable these days. Of course, this also assume clear skies, a dry road and straight line. Most of the folks doing those speeds haven't a clue... so in anything other than ideal conditions, the perceptual limit changes dramatically. And along those lines and as a cautionary tale...

I occasionally work out of Burlington, right in the heart of 128/95. When I do, I'm in the office by 5 AM. Just around a month ago, I was heading into work in light, not heavy, rain, driving my just-a-guy-going-to-work silver F-150, not my how-the-****-did-a-bum-like-you-afford-that Miami Blue Cayman. No one around me for a quarter mile, save a black shadow about 4-500 feet behind. Turned out to be a state trooper who had for whatever reason stalked me for a couple of miles. Apparently he got pretty annoyed about the fact I touched 75 going up a long hill (I had been averaging 72-3) on a virtually empty highway, just minding my own business. The lights came on and it was license and registration time. Wound up giving me a warning, but given the scowl on his face it certainly was close. Dude was just not in a good mood that morning.

Point being, it really doesn't matter what we think the theoretical limit is, because anytime an officer feels like it, they are fully justified, at least legally, to pull virtually anyone over and, if they feel like it, give them a ticket. Having lived here since 1986, I've found that most officers in Mass are really good folks, quite reasonable, just doing a difficult job... but that hasn't been a 100% of them. So while it works out most of the time, I frankly don't like this nod and a wink stuff. For those few who do have an agenda, it enables all sorts of bad behavior. I'd far rather see the limits raised to something closer to reality and enforced more tightly.
jimmuller likes this.

2017 Cayman S
2000 911 C2 Brumos B59 Special Edition
1970/73 911 RSR 3.2 Clone
post #38 of 75 Old 04-28-2019, 02:48 AM

I have had my new Boxster for just under a week now and being Carmine Red means it quickly catches eyes. When starting out at a green light, I quickly noticed that much more frequently than with my previous black Z4, the car in the lane adjacent to me exactly matches my acceleration. If I speed up a little or even back off a little, so do they and I strongly get the feeling these defective A&&[email protected]!es are baiting me to just floor it. Surprisingly, some of the cars that do this are models that cant get out of their own way like Kia's and old Toyotas. It is very annoying. I am just not going to race anyone on a city street and it makes a scary statement about the number of drivers that seem to want to do this.

A couple days ago we had a good laugh from a BMW driver. I was in the right lane and sped up somewhat (never exceeding 4K RPM break-in limit) so not to lose the green light ahead. I was not really paying attention to the adjacent left lane but a new BMW 3 series was in my blind spot slowly passing me. He must have thought I sped up to keep him from passing because he suddenly floored it and with a dramatic amount of noise and exhaust smoke blasted down the road. It really appeared very stupid.

Last edited by Barryng; 04-28-2019 at 02:58 AM.
post #39 of 75 Old 04-29-2019, 06:17 AM

As long as the "morons" don't get in my way, I just ignore them, smile gently to myself, and drive to please me.

(I have had the occasional follower get into some difficulties as I maintain my speed in challenging corners. Tough!)
post #40 of 75 Old 04-29-2019, 07:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryng View Post
When starting out at a green light, I quickly noticed that much more frequently than with my previous black Z4, the car in the lane adjacent to me exactly matches my acceleration. If I speed up a little or even back off a little, so do they and I strongly get the feeling these defective A&&[email protected]!es are baiting me to just floor it.
Maybe they just want to admire your cool car. Not every instance of aberrant behavior is a case of someone wanting to race.

I do see more cases of drivers in SUV's or other non-performance cars trying to cut me off than when I'm driving my Caravan. I'm not sure why but I'd venture some guesses. In either car I tend to leave a bit more space between my car and the car in front of me than most drivers do. Not a lot of space, but more than the not-enough most drivers allow. The Cayman being smaller, drivers following me can see around or over me to know that space is there. Or they just think I'm an obnoxious Porsche driver and need being put down. Whatever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page