Battery Bad? - Porsche 718 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-27-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Battery Bad?

I just took my 2017 boxster S for a spin this weekend. New fabspeed tune, straight pipe superback exhaust! She wont start after a drive!!! I have to let her sit untouched for a long while! She is a weekend warrior, prior to this weekend she sat for a while. 11k miles, no problems. No warning lights!!!

I connected my very old trickle charger and it shows low, i left it on for a whole night and then some. Showed full charge a day ago. Dead again!

I ordered a new trickle mc dickle charger/maintainer ctek3300. Has anyone changed a battery themselves yet? Trying to avoid stealership for something simple here. What is a good replacement? Whats the process like after the install, reset wise? Any info is appreciated!
post #2 of 9 Old 03-27-2019, 03:35 PM

Garage
The CTEK has a battery recovery option you may want to try before buying another battery.

JazzCatGab
Kentucky
2019 Base Cayman
-----------------------
Manual shift, 18" wheels, PASM, Sports Chrono, black tailpipes, cellphone compartment, CarPlay, PE&D
post #3 of 9 Old 03-28-2019, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winstonwolf View Post
I just took my 2017 boxster S for a spin this weekend. New fabspeed tune, straight pipe superback exhaust! She wont start after a drive!!! I have to let her sit untouched for a long while! She is a weekend warrior, prior to this weekend she sat for a while. 11k miles, no problems. No warning lights!!!

I connected my very old trickle charger and it shows low, i left it on for a whole night and then some. Showed full charge a day ago. Dead again!

I ordered a new trickle mc dickle charger/maintainer ctek3300. Has anyone changed a battery themselves yet? Trying to avoid stealership for something simple here. What is a good replacement? Whats the process like after the install, reset wise? Any info is appreciated!
First, you need to notify who did your 'Fabspeed tune' of the issue because it sounds like the probability that it caused the issue is large. If they are reputable, they will want to solve the issue for you.

Second, you should realize that your 'Fabspeed tune' likely voided your warranty relating to anything electronic in the car.

Third, you should know that the battery in our cars is not the old lead-acid type; it is significantly more complex. So though your 'very old trickle charger' likely didn't do more damage the battery, there's a chance that it is not designed for it -- your new CTEK is. As @JazzCatGab states, use the 'recovery mode' on it first and see what happens.

Finally, changing a battery in a modern car is not that simple for a few reasons. It can be done yourself, but since you're having issues I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend you let a pro do it. Solve the problem causing the dead battery first -- THEN worry about replacing it.

-- Life is a journey made more exciting with a fast car. --
-- Helmets are for closers. --
-- Death to all who chrome! --
Blackened '18 NBM 718 Cayman: "Alli". Audio mods TBD

post #4 of 9 Old 03-28-2019, 08:43 PM
don

I've used the CTEK battery recovery option before and it works well when the battery has been over-drained.

2019 Cayman GTS GT Silver arrived...
post #5 of 9 Old 04-05-2019, 01:44 PM

Garage
Does the Porsche charger have the recovery option?

2018 718 Cayman GTS
post #6 of 9 Old 04-10-2019, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggly View Post
Does the Porsche charger have the recovery option?
It should. The two latest versions of the Porsche-branded charger are based on the CTEK MUS 3300 (older) and the CTEK MXS 5.0 (current). Both have reconditioning modes.

Here is a link to CTEK's current vehicle charger line. CTEK makes the Porsche-branded unit, as well as those for several other makes.

post #7 of 9 Old 04-10-2019, 04:05 PM

Had not thought of this yet. Do we have AGM batteries?
post #8 of 9 Old 04-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryng View Post
Had not thought of this yet. Do we have AGM batteries?
Yes, we do. AGMs are generally in any car with an auto stop-start feature.

post #9 of 9 Old 04-10-2019, 07:15 PM

Mike, CTEK says the charger is 'Ideal for Start-Stop Systems'. Is this because the batteries are AGM, or is there another dimension to this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page