Porsche 718 Forum banner

Speed Limit Display

10K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Scrounger 
#1 ·
Those of you who have the speed limit display option do you have the limit shown on the PCM display as well as the instrument multifunction screen.

This is what the configurator, and I believe the manual, claims the option will do, but I can only get a showing on the multifunction screen. I know on my old 981 it was showing in both places.

Don't think it's relevant but the car is a 2019MY manual 718S

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

#2 ·
Mine only shows the speed limit on the nav screen. i would love if it could also show in the gauge cluster. Is there a setting for this i haven't found yet?

#4 ·
I have the Speed Limit Display on my 718.
It displays the Speed Limit on the right hand gauge in the Cluster next to where all your vehicle temperatures etc. are displayed.
You can have it shown small at the bottom of the gauge with all the other readings or you can make it larger to fill the whole gauge.
I find it a very useful addition, the U.K. is infested with Speed Cameras.
Especially worthwhile when travelling in a city where the speed limit can change up and down on the same stretch of road without you realising.
It’s pretty accurate at reading the street signs, it usually only misses one if there’s something obstructing the sign.

#5 ·
I have the Speed Limit Display on my 718.
It displays the Speed Limit on the right hand gauge in the Cluster next to where all your vehicle temperatures etc. are displayed.
You can have it shown small at the bottom of the gauge with all the other readings or you can make it larger to fill the whole gauge.
I find it a very useful addition, the U.K. is infested with Speed Cameras.
Especially worthwhile when travelling in a city where the speed limit can change up and down on the same stretch of road without you realising.
It’s pretty accurate at reading the street signs, it usually only misses one if there’s something obstructing the sign.

Interesting....

Does it actually read the signs or is it just part of the nav data base, based on GPS positioning?

#8 ·
I seem to recall that as of a couple of years ago, this system was far more effective in select EU countries than it was in the U.S. (and, to an extent, Canada).
It's dependent on the technology being used in both signs and the car. Some carmakers/N.A. distributors even deactivated the functionality in the U.S. because it was only being used in a few urban areas.

I don't know how much this has changed here, but it could be a factor, OP, if you're located in the U.S.

#10 ·
Being a typical bloke I will admit I’ve only looked at the owners manual when I’ve wanted to check on something specific.

(I only just used the SatNav for the first time last week for a trip to Malvern, was pleasantly surprised how good the Live traffic update was at planning your journey to avoid the worst traffic, even the female voice directions were OK)

Wasn’t aware the speed limit display could be shown on the PCM.
Can’t see the point of it there as it’s not in your line of sight as much as the gauge clusters.

Yes with this feature there is a small camera in the windscreen by the drivers mirror that reads the signs as you approach them, the display in the car changes after you drive past the sign.

#11 · (Edited)
Looked through the Owners Handbook briefly, can’t see where it refers to putting the Speed Limit Display on the PCM.

Attached are a few photos of how you can change the look of the Display and a photo of the camera in the windscreen.
I find the smaller Display with the other Temperature Gauge’s works best, it’s just large enough to glance down at for reassurance when you want to check.

The Owners Manual does say the Camera won’t pick up Signs if your speed is really excessive, not found that to be a problem yet.

The Display also shows different signs as well, for example No Overtaking Signs.

Attachments

#12 ·
I know this is an older thread. My 718 (2021) has the lane change assist so it does have the camera however in the PCM cluster, the option to show speed limit doesn’t show up. In my Nav, I do see the speed limit but that’s being pulled from the map itself.

has anyone found a way to fix this?

my dealer told me I need to have the lane “keep” option which is not even offered on the 718 (In Canada) so that doesn’t make much sense.

Would appreciate any help.

#13 ·
You do not need to have lane change assist to have speed limit display. If you go into the right hand display on the instrument cluster and go to the page that shows the engine info, click the right hand button on the multi function steering wheel or push the right hand stalk forward to enter the settings page. Then scroll to assistance settings and if you have speed limit display it should be listed there. If it's not then you don't have it fitted.

#14 ·
I have the speed limit display and actually find it a pain in the cluster as it obscures the Oil readout !
As at yet, not been able to suss out taking it off from there but may try the stalk method :cool:
I think when I was setting up my own screens and what you want to see in the PCM, it maybe an option to add in there so will have to also check that out at some stage.

#18 ·
I have the speed limit display and actually find it a pain in the cluster as it obscures the Oil readout !
As at yet, not been able to suss out taking it off from there but may try the stalk method :cool:
I think when I was setting up my own screens and what you want to see in the PCM, it maybe an option to add in there so will have to also check that out at some stage.
I have the speed limit indicator option on my Boxster and not the lane change assist.
I turned it off because I find it also a pain in the cluster and I use Tomtom which also provides that info (CarPlay on PCM).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.