Help - Porsche 718 Forum
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 Old 04-25-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Help

My daughter went to pick up my 2018 boxster (with 10k on it), after less than a mile drive she called to report smoke coming out the vehicle. She called the dealership and the salesperson came to drive the car back to their lot. After a day they reported that everything is fine. My son got the car back to his sister who still noticed the smell from the previous incident. However, after a return visit to the dealership, the technician said everything is OK. We decided to have someone drive the car and bring it to Columbia from Houston, TX. After driving through north Texas and part of the Oklahoma , (in Tulsa) the clutch gave up with no resistance. Now the dealership that sold the car to my wife doesn't even want help pay for the tear down to figure out the cause of this problem. They are informing us that they were 13 Revs, whatever that is, and will not do anything to help. Can you please help me figure out a course of action? I don't know what to do. Thanks in advance.
post #2 of 60 Old 04-25-2019, 11:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by socablo View Post
My daughter went to pick up my 2018 boxster (with 10k on it), after less than a mile drive she called to report smoke coming out the vehicle. She called the dealership and the salesperson came to drive the car back to their lot. After a day they reported that everything is fine. My son got the car back to his sister who still noticed the smell from the previous incident. However, after a return visit to the dealership, the technician said everything is OK. We decided to have someone drive the car and bring it to Columbia from Houston, TX. After driving through north Texas and part of the Oklahoma , (in Tulsa) the clutch gave up with no resistance. Now the dealership that sold the car to my wife doesn't even want help pay for the tear down to figure out the cause of this problem. They are informing us that they were 13 Revs, whatever that is, and will not do anything to help. Can you please help me figure out a course of action? I don't know what to do. Thanks in advance.
Maybe 13 over-revs? Meaning rpms exceeded redline, which could certainly destroy a clutch. The dealership can run a DME report and get that information from the computer.

2017 Cayman S
2017 BMW M240i
2017 Audi Q5
1999 Mercedes E320
post #3 of 60 Old 04-26-2019, 08:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorOver View Post
rpms exceeded redline, which could certainly destroy a clutch.
how could RPMs themselves destroy a clutch? redlining in gear i don't think would affect the clutch adversely. conversely, reving even below redline and dumping the clutch could destroy the clutch.

2017 Miami Blue Boxster S 6M
- Porche Torque Vectoring
- Sport Chrono
- Carbon Fiber Interior Trim
- Entry & Drive

post #4 of 60 Old 04-26-2019, 09:08 AM

Is the car pdk? If so it should covered under warranty. If not, dealer could argue that the clutch was ridden causing wear and failure.
post #5 of 60 Old 04-26-2019, 10:21 AM

Garage
smoke = burning clutch disk? Could be. Could a fluid of some sort have sprayed or dripped into the clutch?

Jim, on my second Porsche. The first was a 912 in a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
post #6 of 60 Old 04-26-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the feedback. At this point the dealership in Tulsa doesn't know the cause. They will be doing a tear down to check. It is the dealership in Houston that is hanging their hats on Rev count. This vehicle was purchased three weeks ago. To my knowledge the vehicle is not pdk.
post #7 of 60 Old 04-26-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socablo View Post
To my knowledge the vehicle is not pdk.

Hummm. I don't mean to be rude, but how could you have bought a car without knowing whether it is a manual or pdk? I'm curious.
Cyclepath5555 likes this.
post #8 of 60 Old 04-26-2019, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Gentlemen, @socablo lives in Columbia, MO and just purchased this car for his wife from a dealer in Houston; he posted in the New Members forum. Let's cut him some slack and help him out, OK?

Some questions:
- Did you buy the car new or used? IIRC, you just bought the car for your wife, and the dealer in Houston is where you bought it from.
- If used, was the car CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) by the dealer?
- Does the car have a manual transmission or an automatic transmission?
- Who has driven the car regularly since you purchased it? Sounds like only your son and daughter? Are they both proficient with driving a manual-transmission car?

I know this next thing is hard for a father to do with offspring that he trusts, but you need honesty regarding how your daughter (and, to a lesser extent, your son) have driven the car. If there were a lot of over-revs on that engine before it was sold to you, it would not have passed the CPO certification process unless the dealer itself is fudging that process -- which means the over-revs occurred after that certification.

I would have the Tulsa dealer verify that the over-revs are on the car's ECU -- it's operational computer, if you will. If possible (not sure the ECU logs this), but have the Tulsa dealer note dates of occurrence of the over-revs. That bit of data will be telling regarding who caused the issue.

Good luck, and keep us up to date.

-- Life is a journey made more exciting with a fast car. --
-- Helmets are for closers. --
-- Death to all who chrome! --
Blackened '18 NBM 718 Cayman: "Alli". Audio mods TBD

Last edited by Viffermike; 04-26-2019 at 12:04 PM.
post #9 of 60 Old 04-26-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Gentlemen, @socablo lives in Columbia, MO and just purchased this car for his wife from a dealer in Houston; he posted in the New Members forum. Let's cut him some slack and help him out, OK?

Some questions:
- Did you buy the car new or used?

My wife can drive both manual and auto, however, most folks have a strong preference one way or the other. I'd want to get my wife what she wanted in terms of a transmission, especially at this price point, but that's just me. I can't wait to hear the rest of the story and I hope this gets resolved for him/his wife quickly! I'm sure his wife will be surprised and elated, regardless. BTW, it is used with 10K miles. Yes, please keep us posted!
post #10 of 60 Old 04-26-2019, 12:57 PM

Garage
Overrevs would pretty much indicate a manual trans. Even one overrev from down shifting into the wrong gear can destroy a clutch in short order, not to mention causing engine or trans damage. They don't call them the money shift for nothing.
Viffermike likes this.

2018 718 Cayman GTS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page