982 Service Bulletin: Coolant Reservoir and Sensor - Page 7 - Porsche 718 Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 66 Old 04-11-2019, 06:52 PM

Garage
Just went for a 10 mile drive getting the oil up to 203 degrees. Still no sign of leakage.

Further thoughts on the cap....if your coolant cap requires pliers to remove, you can bet it was overtightend past the stop lug. The blue graphic on the cap should be oriented left to right observed from directly behind the car. If it's oriented front to rear it's been turned past the stop lug in an overtightend state. The little lug that functions as a click stop indicating the fully tightened position is pretty small and a soft nylon type of plastic versus the harder plastic of the fill neck. It would be easy to go past the stop point deforming the lug and it would lock in place past the designed ramped recess in the filler neck. Then the next time it's loosened it will require greater force to open further damaging or breaking off the stop lug on the cap.

The new updated version has a much more substantial stop lug that would have to be forcibly turned past the stop point. Breaking the stop lug on the newer version should be quite difficult to do.

So, if you have had to use pliers to remove your coolant cap, you need to inspect the cap and the filler neck. You likely may need to replace one or both.

I would imagine that newer manufactured Caymans will have the updated design. My car was purchased in early March 2018 and built in December 2017.
Viffermike and NeTx like this.

2018 718 Cayman GTS

Last edited by wriggly; 04-11-2019 at 06:58 PM.
post #62 of 66 Old 04-12-2019, 02:03 PM

In my case (and most others I imagine) it is the neck that is at fault. They tried a different cap from another 718 in my case and it didn't work either. My cap worked on the other 718, there was nothing wrong with it.

They changed both neck and cap to ensure that they fit well together (my cap could have been distorted, who knows). At $200/hr I would have done the same thing.
post #63 of 66 Old 05-20-2019, 12:39 PM

I've had all of these (coolant sensor failure, replacement, new cap, etc.) on my 2018 Cayman this year...and since my dealer did the work I consistently get a 'Coolant Sensor Error - contact your Service Department' message, which can be dismissed. Probably important to note that I get this error only while driving on track - not in daily driving. It happened on day 2 of a 2-day event in April after having the work done in March. I took it back and they replaced the cap. I just got the error again over the weekend during probably 5 of 15 (20-25 minute) sessions.

Does anyone else that's had this issue track their car and have you gotten this other error? Unfortunately I don't have a picture, I don't have my phone in the car with me when I'm on track and tend to dismiss it pretty quick so I can focus on driving. I'm trying to figure out if I should keep taking it back to the dealer or maybe I'm not letting the car cool down enough after my session ends.

Thanks all!

post #64 of 66 Old 05-21-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvia718 View Post

Does anyone else that's had this issue track their car and have you gotten this other error? Unfortunately I don't have a picture, I don't have my phone in the car with me when I'm on track and tend to dismiss it pretty quick so I can focus on driving. I'm trying to figure out if I should keep taking it back to the dealer or maybe I'm not letting the car cool down enough after my session ends.
The car should be logging the error every time it happens. So the dealer will be able to see the time/date it happened each time from diagnostics.

The car is also designed to be driven hard. Plenty owners here track their cars and don't get the errors. I would suggest there is a problem somewhere. You might want to tell the dealer it happens during 'spirited' drives, rather than track days. I have heard stories of dealers denying warranty cover when used this way (yes, even when it's what the car was essentially designed for!)
post #65 of 66 Old 05-21-2019, 09:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus_ter View Post
The car should be logging the error every time it happens. So the dealer will be able to see the time/date it happened each time from diagnostics.

The car is also designed to be driven hard. Plenty owners here track their cars and don't get the errors. I would suggest there is a problem somewhere. You might want to tell the dealer it happens during 'spirited' drives, rather than track days. I have heard stories of dealers denying warranty cover when used this way (yes, even when it's what the car was essentially designed for!)
Interesting- I know the car tracks over revs- do you know if any MPH is stored in the computer? Sorry for the OT.

2019 718S Stick, Night Blue Metallic, Black/Luxor Beige Leather, Power Sport Seats with Memory, Sport Chrono, misc other.
post #66 of 66 Old 05-22-2019, 02:42 AM

Thank you! I will take it back to the dealer....they know I track it and itís been fine. I had them do my last tech inspection sheet while they were fixing the sensor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page