AKA3 Fuel tank structure recall (was: Stop sale - Fuel Tank Bracket) - Page 16 - Porsche 718 Forum
 79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 206 Old 04-24-2019, 11:52 AM

RE: bodyshop. Im seriously wondering the same thing. My particular dealer said they didn't have the right equipment, mine is the first one they've done (gulp) and that they are ordering the equipment for future recalls.
post #152 of 206 Old 04-24-2019, 11:56 AM

Garage
Really not fun that we have these new cars that now need this kinda fix! Sounds like the dealer is going to fix this during any kind of repair/service whether we want it or not.

2019 718S Stick, Night Blue Metallic, Black/Luxor Beige Leather, Power Sport Seats with Memory, Sport Chrono, misc other.
post #153 of 206 Old 04-24-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 718S View Post
Really not fun that we have these new cars that now need this kinda fix! Sounds like the dealer is going to fix this during any kind of repair/service whether we want it or not.

Almost certainly because Porsche cannot legally sell a car with an identified safety defect. Neither Porsche, the dealer, or the customer has a choice. It is legally not a matter of "whether we want it or not".
alanhats20 likes this.

post #154 of 206 Old 04-24-2019, 01:37 PM

I've got to say in 29 years of car ownership, I've never had to give a car back for now 6 and probably (eventually) 8 business days for work to be done. Maybe I've been lucky? ;-D
post #155 of 206 Old 04-24-2019, 02:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryng View Post
Almost certainly because Porsche cannot legally sell a car with an identified safety defect. Neither Porsche, the dealer, or the customer has a choice. It is legally not a matter of "whether we want it or not".
I understand if we're buying one... but I own one already. I don't want to go in for a minor service call and have them "keep" my car for potentially days.

I know safety is a bigger issue... still sucks.

2019 718S Stick, Night Blue Metallic, Black/Luxor Beige Leather, Power Sport Seats with Memory, Sport Chrono, misc other.
post #156 of 206 Old 04-24-2019, 02:53 PM

hash tag me too...

I'm getting my Cayman GTS tomorrow. Trading my '18 Carrera T for it and $$$

I wanted to order one. I didn't because of this recall. Figured my Aug 15th delivery would be delayed...maybe for months? Also considered a Euro delivery....same deal....Didn't want to wait until next year.

Why? Because I have a near-new Carrera T that's depreciating and isn't the right car for me. It's a TERRIFIC car and I smile when I drive it, but it's not the same sort of evil smile that I get when driving a good Cayman...and the 718GTS is a VERY good Cayman.

So I'll put up with a few wrong options and such to get the thing that feeds my dark side the best.
Viffermike and NeTx like this.

'74 BMW 2002tii
'83 911SC
'89' BMW M3
'95 BMW M3-Track Rat with boocoo mods.
'06 Cayman S with many cool tricks and spares...Gone.
'19 Carrera T: Said goodbye, with tears in my eyes.
'18 Cayman GTS: Saying hello and loving it so far
post #157 of 206 Old 04-24-2019, 03:03 PM

My car was built after recall announced and it was delivered 2 weeks early (April 10). I don't think new builds will be delayed.
post #158 of 206 Old 04-26-2019, 07:02 AM

Garage
I received the "Important Safety Recall" letter yesterday for the AKA3 issue. A couple of key sentences that may be of interest are as follows.
What will we do? Porsche is remedying this issue by having Porsche dealers add rivets to the affected cross member, bringing it into specification, free of charge.
What should you do? Please make contact with your authorized Porsche dealership to schedule a remedy appointment, and to arrange in advance for a Porsche loaner vehicle should you require alternate transportation during the repair period. Affixing additional rivets is expected to take approximately two hours to complete.

Two things I noticed is that (1) the repairs would be performed by the Porsche dealer but I suppose the dealer could still sub the work to a local body shop as noted in a previous post, and (2) the repairs would take approximately two hours to complete. So that would lead me to believe the repairs would be done in-house which could be a good or not-so-goo thing depending on the dealership.

2018 Cayman, March build, May delivery

Current: 2018 Cayman, Black with black leather interior, Cayman S wheels, 6MT, numerous performance and luxury options
Previous: 2014 Cayman, Black with black interior, Cayman S wheels, 6MT
Previous: 1986 944, Stone Gray with black interior, phone dial wheels, 5MT

Last edited by ArchiProf; 04-26-2019 at 07:16 AM.
post #159 of 206 Old 04-26-2019, 11:37 AM

The recall was announced when my Boxster was east of Morocco while transiting the Atlantic Ocean. To my relief it was repaired at the Port of Jacksonville. I did not find out if all cars in transit from the factory when the recall was announced were repaired at the port of entry or only those that were destined for delivery at the Atlanta PEC. Maybe my relief was misplaced but over 50 years of buying new cars has clearly taught me to avoid dealer service whenever possible due to a high probability of piss poor service quality, little respect for the customer, and a disgusting lack of integrity. My opinion applies equally to Lexus/Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Mazda, and others. Of course there are refreshing exceptions but that has proven to be rare. This is my first Porsche and except for a truly outstanding saleswoman, the dealer's sales manager and money guy were unfortunately clones of the sleazy dealer characters one has learned to expect to encounter at a dealer so I would just assume avoid their service department too as much as I can. Glad and relieved it was not the dealer that fixed this problem.
post #160 of 206 Old 04-26-2019, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchiProf View Post
A couple of key sentences that may be of interest are as follows.
... Please make contact with your authorized Porsche dealership to schedule a remedy appointment, and to arrange in advance for a Porsche loaner vehicle should you require alternate transportation during the repair period. Affixing additional rivets is expected to take approximately two hours to complete.
The bolded sentence is telling -- and likely confusing to some. To me, it indicates that the repair will be done on-site and infers strongly that it won't take several business days.

I'm willing to bet that part of the preparation process for this was the training of Porsche service techs to perform the repair on site -- and those that have had it done already had to have their cars repaired offsite because the training, materials acquisition, etc. was not complete.
ArchiProf likes this.

-- Life is a journey made more exciting with a fast car. --
-- Helmets are for closers. --
-- Death to all who chrome! --
Blackened '18 NBM 718 Cayman: "Alli". Audio mods TBD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page