Porsche's own view on Ceramic Brakes (PCCB) - Page 2 - Porsche 718 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 03-31-2019, 08:59 PM

Even people who track their cars often do not choose ceramic breaks because of the high cost of replacement.

Present Cars:
2002 996 C4
2015 Macan S
2013 BMW X5
2018 718 Cayman S
post #12 of 14 Old 04-18-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volker Striepe View Post
Even people who track their cars often do not choose ceramic breaks because of the high cost of replacement.

exactly! i don't know if it's true or not but i was told (when placing my order) that a complete PCCB brake job (meaning new pads and rotors) is in the $15,000+ range at a dealer. cleaner wheels are nice and all but for that price i have better aftermarket brakes for life!

He once taught a german shepherd how to bark in Spanish.
When he drives a car off the lot it's price increases.
He once won the Tour-de-France but was disqualified for using a unicycle.

I don't always drive a sports car, but when I do it's a Porsche. Stay fast my friends.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-19-2019, 07:10 AM

I've been researching this because I'm in line for a new GT4, so I (assume I) get to decide whether to go with PCCB or iron. It's true that most track rats, and even race teams, use steel rotors because of the price. However, there's a new generation of CCB that uses a different rotor material and sintered pads that folks are having great success with—at least so far. Racing Brake makes them, David Donohue raced them, and others are trying them out. They seem to hit the sweet spot: lower cost and less fragile than PCCB, but with the same or better consistency, performance, and brake feel, and much better durability.

Also note that AP's new Essex-designed Radi-CAL iron setup is within 1.5 pounds per corner of the PCCBs, so they'd be a great option if CCBs are too pricey for ya, but you still want to ditch the extra unsprung weight.

I don't think either of these options available for the 718 yet, but are worth keeping an eye on. Since they're both aftermarket, I'm (again) leaning towards ordering the steel brakes on the GT4. The PCCBs are just too expensive for the benefits they provide given my intended use.

post #14 of 14 Old 04-19-2019, 10:36 AM

@sobiloff

If you plan to do trackdays, leave PCCBs and buy normal brakes

BMW E93 - CATERHAM R400 - PORSCHE CAYMAN 718

Calimerus channel -->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page