Porsche's own view on Ceramic Brakes (PCCB) - Porsche 718 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-28-2019, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Porsche's own view on Ceramic Brakes (PCCB)

Someone once asked me what £5,000 looked like. Shrugging my shoulders he pointed at the yellow brake calipers on a new 718 and walked off. Below something which might save you from spending that amount of wedge on the yellow paint and grey discs...

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/for...els_newsletter
post #2 of 12 Old 03-28-2019, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I love my PCCBs; hate brake dust. Though with the 2RS it comes standard. It's a "free"option.

2018/991.2 GT Silver Metallic GT2-RS

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" ~ Vince Lombardi

"There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet" ~ Fleet Admiral William F. Halsey Jr.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-28-2019, 04:49 PM

I ordered my 2019 CGTS with CCB . Because I am disabled and can't get down and clean the wheels after every drive. I mainly go to car shows and for short drives on back roads. I will never have to change them in my lifetime at my age. And they are yellow to match my car. It's a win, win, win for me. But the 7400.00 bucks is a hard pill to swallow. But I only have to swallow it once. If you are young and change vehicles often , they may not be worth it

post #4 of 12 Old 03-28-2019, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schredder View Post
I ordered my 2019 CGTS with CCB . Because I am disabled and can't get down and clean the wheels after every drive. I mainly go to car shows and for short drives on back roads. I will never have to change them in my lifetime at my age. And they are yellow to match my car. It's a win, win, win for me. But the 7400.00 bucks is a hard pill to swallow. But I only have to swallow it once. If you are young and change vehicles often , they may not be worth it
Good for you! if you can afford them why not? This is a very short ride we are all on, and if you have the bucks why deny yourself things that make you happy. It always bugged me to no end to have that corrosive cast iron brake dust laying on my rims and car.

2018/991.2 GT Silver Metallic GT2-RS

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" ~ Vince Lombardi

"There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet" ~ Fleet Admiral William F. Halsey Jr.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 03:40 AM

Garage
I passed on the PCCB, but if I was crazy enough to spend money on them it would purely be to make wheel cleaning easier.
The main reason I chose not to spec PCCB was cost, including taxes that option would cost 21.800 USD with the current exchange rate or 19.440 EUR with the fixed exchange rate.
For that amount I could get the whole car professionally cleaned a lot of times.
Second reason is style, I think the yellow calipers would clash with the Guards Red paint.
If Porsche has offered the PSCB (Porsche Surface Coated Brakes) as they do on the Cayenne I might have considered those given cost was reasonable.
Cast iron rotors with a laser cladded tungstencarbide in nickel matrix surface layer as far as I remember.
They believe so much in the concept that PSCB calipers are painted white.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 03:51 AM

My 718B has the standard brakes and I expected break dust.On my Audi A6 wheels get dirty faster that light. But i am surprised cause on the carera classic wheels is nearly no dust after driving realy hard on the road.
I think most dust is blown out by the break cooling airflow. Never had a car with that less break dust.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 03:49 PM

I can agree with alf. The yellow would not look as good on a red car. If my I got a red car I would have reconsidered getting the red calipers that would be on it. They have a red cayman s on the showroom floor and the red calipers really pop on it
post #8 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 10:40 PM

A spray can of heat-proof paint, masking tape, and Porsche decals, and you can have any colour rotors you want.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-30-2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
A spray can of heat-proof paint, masking tape, and Porsche decals, and you can have any colour rotors you want.
Until you hit the brakes! I'd suggest sticking with just painting the calipers.

Current:
2017 CS - Lava Orange
2013 E92 M3 - Jerez Black

Past:
LOL, not enough room for that list.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-30-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2Board View Post
Until you hit the brakes! I'd suggest sticking with just painting the calipers.
OOPS!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in