Wireless Charging? - Porsche 718 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 11-18-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Wireless Charging?

My just ordered 2019 718 includes a 9ZE Smart Phone Compartment, QH1 & P40 Nav, and 9WT Apple CarPlay. Although the salesperson was excellent and surprisingly knowledgeable, she did not know if the Smart Phone Compartment supports iPhone wireless charging. Does it?

I am thinking it is only a compartment to hold the phone and provide a passive antenna connection to the exterior of the car however $560 implies it has more function than just this.
post #2 of 15 Old 11-18-2018, 05:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryng View Post
My just ordered 2019 718 includes a 9ZE Smart Phone Compartment, QH1 & P40 Nav, and 9WT Apple CarPlay. Although the salesperson was excellent and surprisingly knowledgeable, she did not know if the Smart Phone Compartment supports iPhone wireless charging. Does it?

I am thinking it is only a compartment to hold the phone and provide a passive antenna connection to the exterior of the car however $560 implies it has more function than just this.

You are thinking right, it takes over the phone antenna, there is no wireless charging. Porsche options are just expensive
post #3 of 15 Old 11-19-2018, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks.

I think I remember a USB port in the compartment. I am wondering how a wireless charger, such as the disc shaped Anker QI certified Power Wave would work in terms of height as the phone would rest on top of the charger disk. Anker advertises a cooling fan as an integral part of the charger so heat dissipation inside the closed compartment might be a problem.

post #4 of 15 Old 11-19-2018, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks.

I think I remember a USB port in the compartment. I am wondering how a wireless charger, such as the disc shaped Anker QI certified Power Wave would work in terms of height as the phone would rest on top of the charger disk. Anker advertises a cooling fan as an integral part of the charger so heat dissipation inside the closed compartment might be a problem.
First: Welcome to the forum!

Now: IIRC, wireless CarPlay has not been added to 2019 718 models. I mention this because typically, any wireless charging feature that comes OEM on a vehicle is usually tethered to some sort of expansive wireless functionality such as CarPlay or Android Auto.

Think of it this way:
1). If you'll be using CarPlay, you have to plug the phone in to a 718 via USB. That negates the need for wireless charging since the phone will already be charging via USB.
2). But if you won't be using CarPlay, the only way your phone communicates with PCM is via Bluetooth or WiFi -- and the latter only as a hotspot because telephony and data is handled within PCM4 with a dedicated SIM, thereby negating the need for a smartphone to serve either function. Wireless charging of a peripheral that's not needed makes no sense for Porsche to supply as OEM.

-- Life is a journey made more exciting with a fast car. --
-- Helmets are for closers. --
-- Death to all who chrome! --
Blackened '18 NBM 718 Cayman: "Alli". Audio mods TBD
post #5 of 15 Old 11-19-2018, 01:34 PM

Wireless CarPlay would be nice. Given that the car has Wi-Fi I'm not sure why they don't have it. Not really necessary though. I will say this - the Porsche Techquipment lightning cable is epic. That's a must-have.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-25-2018, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakiChan View Post
Wireless CarPlay would be nice. Given that the car has Wi-Fi I'm not sure why they don't have it. Not really necessary though. I will say this - the Porsche Techquipment lightning cable is epic. That's a must-have.

I certainly intend to use Apple CarPlay because I frequently use Pandora in the car and using my phone while driving to change stations or even start Pandora is neither convenient or safe. Apple CarPlay is a must have option for me.

Why do I need the Porche Lightning cable instead of any good quality lightning cable?
post #7 of 15 Old 11-26-2018, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Why do I need the Porsche Lightning cable instead of any good quality lightning cable?
You don't. Any good Apple MFI-certified cable will do. I personally use an Anker Powerline+; works perfectly.

post #8 of 15 Old 11-26-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Quote:
Why do I need the Porsche Lightning cable instead of any good quality lightning cable?
You don't. Any good Apple MFI-certified cable will do. I personally use an Anker Powerline+; works perfectly.
But, is it “epic”? 😉
post #9 of 15 Old 11-26-2018, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyinmotion View Post
But, is it “epic”?
I've never had an Anker cable fail or not be MFI-compatible. That's epic enough for me!

post #10 of 15 Old 11-27-2018, 05:01 PM

There are average cables and then there are epic cables. This is indeed of the latter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B13B1A23-7AB3-4039-8774-A3D427B22A06_1543356082231.png
Views:	85
Size:	777.4 KB
ID:	18770  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page