Battery change - Porsche 718 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By hkginlax

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Battery change

Anyone change a battery yet? Im interested in any electronic calibrating or resetting that is involved in a battery swap.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:15 AM

Garage
Just did a battery swap in my 2014 Subaru Outback. Didn't want to loose channel presets, etc., so tried this product that plugs into or hooks to another 12volt battery source called an VSTM OBD II Vehicle ECU Emergency Power Supply Cable Memory Saver. Plugs into the OBD II outlet and keeps your settings. Worked great in my case. As if never disconnected for a moment.

JazzCatGab
Kentucky
2019 Base Cayman
-----------------------
Manual shift, 18" wheels, PASM, Sports Chrono, black tailpipes, cellphone compartment, CarPlay, PE&D
Old 03-28-2019, 11:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winstonwolf View Post
Anyone change a battery yet? Im interested in any electronic calibrating or resetting that is involved in a battery swap.
Haven't changed my battery but have disconnected the battery multiple times for mods. I only have to reset two things every time: window upper/lower limit and clock (since I don't have GPS).
Semitone likes this.

2019 CS GT Silver 6MT

Old 03-29-2019, 03:52 AM

Not done it but understand your concerns about losing power and having to reset and/mess up stuff.

One way to keep 12v always there is :
using eg battery jump leads, attach the new battery in parallel to the existing one, then perhaps with some help, lift the old one out, insert new one, keeping everything connected so the cars always got 12v on it, transfer the battery cables from old to new, remove old battery and all done. Not difficult but a fiddle perhaps.

Let us know how you get on, with pics of course.

2018 718S, UK, various extras, almost perfect!, Gyeon Ceramic coating, reversing camera, front view camera, Blackvue 900S twin 2 ch x 2 = 4 cameras.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:36 PM

Will it work if you plug in the cetek into the plug you charge in then remove the battery?
Old 03-30-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasmere View Post
Not done it but understand your concerns about losing power and having to reset and/mess up stuff.

One way to keep 12v always there is :

using eg battery jump leads, attach the new battery in parallel to the existing one, then perhaps with some help, lift the old one out, insert new one, keeping everything connected so the cars always got 12v on it, transfer the battery cables from old to new, remove old battery and all done. Not difficult but a fiddle perhaps.

Let us know how you get on, with pics of course.

That step “transfer battery cables from old to new” has me puzzled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-30-2019, 09:59 AM

Garage
Seems a lot easier to just use the OBD power jumper, it doesn't use any of the other prongs of the OBD II but the power. Of course, I have a hobby that uses power out in the field so I have 12volt power supplies I can plug it into, but if you need to, the cable I listed above comes with a plug adapter that can be connected to another car's battery.

JazzCatGab
Kentucky
2019 Base Cayman
-----------------------
Manual shift, 18" wheels, PASM, Sports Chrono, black tailpipes, cellphone compartment, CarPlay, PE&D
Old 03-30-2019, 04:32 PM

Re “That step “transfer battery cables from old to new” has me puzzled.”

Didn’t think a complete step by step would be necessary but anyway :

The battery’s need to be kept connected in parallel until the new battery is in place and connected to the car so the original battery can then be disconnected and removed.
At some point in my suggestion one has to remove the car to battery clamps from the original battery, remove the original battery, insert new battery and connect to it the car battery clamps.

It’s a deliberate step by step sequence using eg jump leads but it is a way of keeping 12v to the car continuously.

2018 718S, UK, various extras, almost perfect!, Gyeon Ceramic coating, reversing camera, front view camera, Blackvue 900S twin 2 ch x 2 = 4 cameras.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:29 PM

Or better still use. 12v jump starter pack
Eg https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/access...ter-packs-2019

Principle is just to keep power on the car to keep all settings . . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in