Cayman sound system upgrade - Page 3 - Porsche 718 Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 04-21-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Here's a couple more pictures of the tweeters:

And I got a new tap and die set, and was able to finish up the speaker adapters.

Since the tap broke off in one of them, and I wasn't able to get it out, I had to rotate the speaker to make new holes. Now it'll be out of phase!!

One final test, all checked out, so I put the door panels back on. Still leaving the vents off, juuussstt in case.

Now all I can do is wait until I can talk to NavTV support.
Viffermike and don like this.
post #22 of 31 Old 04-22-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Called Nav-TV this morning, and got right through to their very helpful support personnel. They called me back about an hour later with something to check, and that turned out to be the culprit. The polarity on the MOST fiber connections were backwards. Light was coming out of the PCM on the fiber that was the Zen-V's output wire as well.

(In case you aren't aware, these fiber optic signals travel one way, that's why there's two of them. One for send, one for receive). He walked me through how to reverse them in the connector harness, and boom, everything started working!

This also resolved the "Audio not available," because before, the PCM wasn't getting any signal back, which it was expecting. So, it was assuming something was broken.

Now I just need to get my silly work day out of the way so I go finish things up!
Viffermike and antennahead like this.
post #23 of 31 Old 04-25-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

I can finally put the car back together!

In order to get the vents to fit over the tweeters, I ended up having to dremel away some interior bits of plastic on those pieces as well.

Here's what it looks like before being molested:

And after:

I had checked the amp/dsp firmware already, and it was up to date. I knew there was a firmware update available for the DRC, so I went to go update that. And the computer program said the update failed, and the DRC broke It simply said "Erase completed"

Tried a different computer, couldn't even get all the requisite software installed on that one. Time to call my friends at Elevated Audio again. In the state in was in, they taught me that I could press the Escape button, and it would put it in "boot mode." They also admitted these things can be finicky, and asked if I could bring the car down so they can troubleshoot. Worst case, they have another DRC in stock that they could swap out for me.

That's what I did, I showed them what I did, we put it in boot mode, and tried to install the firmware again. Same results.

Tried on their shop laptop, and it worked without a hitch. Sigh. Well, at least it's up and running now. Here's where I decided to mount it. And with the DRC MP, you can choose between 42 different colors. Anyone want to guess what color I chose?

MOAR YELLOW, of course!!

After all this, how does it sound? I'm very pleased. It still definitely needs a subwoofer.

I was tinkering around with having one preset as my "2-way tune," and setup the other one as a "3-way," using the factory midrange speaker. I've got the 2-way tune about 90% there; the 3-way needs some more work. But that's just for frequencies and tonalities. Comparing the soundstage of the two is pretty revealing.

At least for this car, with the factory speaker locations where they are, I much prefer the 2-way. In that configuration, the tweeters are crossed lower (I'm doing 2250Hz right now), which raises the soundstage much higher. In my 3-way tune, I have the mids doing 500-3k; then tweeters start at 3k. 24db Linkwitz-Riley all around. And the soundstage plummets down to around mid-torso. I'll still play with the tuning, but so far, I'm thinking I'll just stick with the 2-way setup as per my original design. Not a bad thing, that means I can save money on not buying better mids!

post #24 of 31 Old 04-25-2019, 09:49 AM

My word! Admire your bravery and creativity. Awesome DIY 👏 👏 👏

Can’t wait to see and hopefully hear the finished product!
post #25 of 31 Old 04-25-2019, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Wait -- you left the OEM midrange installed? Is it emitting anything?

That Audison DSP controller looks like it fits perfectly in that spot. Nice.

Maaaan I wish you were local ... nice job with the Dremel trimming. Having Dremel skills is critical when tackling a project like this ...

-- Life is a journey made more exciting with a fast car. --
-- Helmets are for closers. --
-- Death to all who chrome! --
Blackened '18 NBM 718 Cayman: "Alli". Audio mods TBD
post #26 of 31 Old 04-25-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Wait -- you left the OEM midrange installed? Is it emitting anything?

That Audison DSP controller looks like it fits perfectly in that spot. Nice.

Maaaan I wish you were local ... nice job with the Dremel trimming. Having Dremel skills is critical when tackling a project like this ...
The Audison Forza F8.9, has 8 channels (with integrated DSP). I hooked it up as follows:

Ch1 and Ch2 to Mille tweeters, 85W @ 4Ω
Ch3 and Ch4 to OEM midrange, 85W @ 4Ω
Ch5/Ch6 and Ch7/Ch8, bridged to woofers, 260W @ 4Ω

85W is plenty to tweeters, no need to bridge those channels for 260W. With that in mind, if I like 3-way, and want to pursue it, all I would have to do is buy midrange speakers and install them. All the wiring and power is setup already. And if I don't, all I have to do is mute those channels.

You just need to make another trip to Colorado to have a listen to it!
Viffermike likes this.
post #27 of 31 Old 04-25-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Well crap.

I just spent a fair bit of time working on the 3-way tune, and it might now sound better than the 2-way. Seems to have widened the stage.

This is bad, because it means I might want to spend even more money on some quality midrange speakers!
antennahead likes this.
post #28 of 31 Old 04-25-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phroenips View Post
Well crap.

I just spent a fair bit of time working on the 3-way tune, and it might now sound better than the 2-way. Seems to have widened the stage.

This is bad, because it means I might want to spend even more money on some quality midrange speakers!
Interesting, I was going to suggest you play with the original 3 way setting and drop the crossover to the tweets to around 2600 Hz and see where the soundstage is.
phroenips likes this.
post #29 of 31 Old 04-25-2019, 05:52 PM

something to ponder, because had i know this before i started my build would have been significantly different. in the cubby hole where the top mechanisms would be in a boxster looked to be a great place to glass in an enclosure for a 8" sub. see the red arrow in the attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40590109363_da2d0d23b2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	21194  
phroenips likes this.

He once taught a german shepherd how to bark in Spanish.
When he drives a car off the lot it's price increases.
He once won the Tour-de-France but was disqualified for using a unicycle.

I don't always drive a sports car, but when I do it's a Porsche. Stay fast my friends.
post #30 of 31 Old 04-25-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Interesting, I was going to suggest you play with the original 3 way setting and drop the crossover to the tweets to around 2600 Hz and see where the soundstage is.
I may still try that, to see how it sounds. Gotta love DSPs, they make trying changes like this trivially easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
something to ponder, because had i know this before i started my build would have been significantly different. in the cubby hole where the top mechanisms would be in a boxster looked to be a great place to glass in an enclosure for a 8" sub. see the red arrow in the attached photo.
I saw that in your build thread, and I considered it. With the "D pillar" trim piece in place, total available diameter is only around 6.5" So, unless I did some strange and "creative" angling, I didn't think it would fit very well. Not to mention potentially getting in the way of servicing the engine.
Viffermike and antennahead like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page