Porsche 718 Forum banner

Partial Deletion of Model Designation Cayman GTS Debadge?

19K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  C21ban 
#1 ·
Thinking that maybe the rear of the cayman or boxter GTS is a little busy.

Considering removing the Cayman Badge and leaving 718 GTS so did a bit of photoshopping for comparison. What do people think?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I'd make your proposed change in a heartbeat. Looks awesome!

I actually just ordered a CGTS and asked the dealer if they could do 718 GTS on the back. They said they could only do the configurator options of 718 or 718 Cayman GTS. I went with '718' for the reason you noted above. (too busy)

#7 ·
I had my clear bra and ceramic guy remove the rear end badging as well as the GTS stickers on the doors. I think anything shorter work and 718 GTS is a good way to go, but the full lettering is a bit much. I removed all of mine because I like the cleaner look, easier to keep clean, I don't care of people know exactly which model I'm driving and the full lettering itself was just too much for me. If it was shorter I may have left it (bought from the lot so I got what I got since everything else on the car was what I was after and then some)

#8 ·
I have my on order 718 CGTS silver build configured with model badge delete and door decal delete. I have also ordered the satin black rear Porsche bar between tailights. I am normally one of those "I paid for it so I want it" type of people but I really thought the rear was too busy. Like the OP I think waxing will also be easier.

#9 ·
ehh... they look the same to me :) i had my badging in the rear done in body color, so it's there but then again it isn't :)

Reactions: Goodwood
#10 ·
Thanks for the comments. The waxing issue is a great point. That is really a lot of intricate lettering to try to keep clean!

Looks like the consensus is partial debadge. I ordered with badges but figure I can remove them later.

Another option for those GTS owners is just having GTS? Or maybe too clean? I think most people don't have a clue what 718 is anyway! A Porsche is a Porsche. ;)

Attachments

#45 · (Edited)
I think most people don't have a clue what 718 is anyway!
I'm pretty sure I don't have a clue myself what 718 means. Something to do with the marketing people reacting to the engineers' decision to go with two less cylinders but turbocharged. After all, they never apologized for going from oil-cooled to water cooled on the flagship 911, let alone by dusting off an old model number.

I think "718" must be some sort of code for "really, it sounds almost as good..."

I have the model delete. either people know it's Boxster or they don't care.

That said, I think since it is more than a base model I'd get the OE badging and have it removed an re-centered with just "GTS." Probably a good nod to considering resale value on a car you've sworn you'll never sell.

EDIT: given the cautions about re-using the letters and the possibility of the original lettering leaving a shadow, I think I would order the car with the model delete and buy a new letter set for a PPF installer to apply just the "GTS"

#13 ·
Thinking that maybe the rear of the cayman or boxster GTS is a little busy.

Considering removing the Cayman Badge and leaving 718 GTS so did a bit of photoshopping for comparison. What do people think?
I agree - too busy.

I would remove all the badges. Cleaner and more stealthy ;)

Take a look at the photo album on my profile and see if you like the look of a 718 with no badges at all.

#19 ·
I debadged mine to have no model designation. I have a personalized license plate (to be installed) which will be more of the focus for the eyes.

Plus, mine is a base model, so would be okay if someone mistakes my clear rear lights for a GTS! : )

But of course, anyone with Porsche knowledge knows this is a base with that big tailpipe.

Attachments

#27 ·
If Porsche were smart they could charge extra for customers being allowed to choose between different badgings like 718 GTS, GTS, Cayman/Boxster GTS ect.
I have ordered a base 718 Boxster with model delete, if I were to have a designation on the rear I would choose Boxster only as the 718 Boxster looks a little busy to my eye.
I know I could do it myself, but being slightly OCD I know I would never be satisfied with the result if a letter was even the tiniest bit crooked.
If you have seen how they mount the lettering at the factory you will know that their method is superior and gives a perfect result every time.

#33 ·
I've got the full "718 Boxster GTS" script and after living with it a bit don't care for it. I'm going to remove it all, I can always add a "718" or "GTS" badge later if I'd like.

I am a little uneasy, though, about removing the existing badging. Can anybody who's removed the badging share any particular tips? Is the old "dental floss and Goo Gone" the way to go, or are there better ideas out there? And did anyone have any "shadow" left behind after removal??

Any advice appreciated!

#34 ·
My badges are also gone. I didnt do it myself but I watched a few Youtube videos and seems very easy. I noticed applying a little heat to soften the adhesive was advised but be careful not to burn your paint if using a heat gun. Both dental floss and fishing line seem to be used but Id imagine the floss might be a little thinner.

I think I can reuse my GTS badge that came off but a bit of work to clean it up and apply new adhesive and a bit of a saving on buying a new one.

#36 ·
Thanks @don, great feedback. And please let us know if you are successful reusing the GTS badge; the more I look at the cars in this thread the more I like the look of just the GTS badge and it'd be nice to reuse my perfect condition one if I can.