The 718 HiFi Forum - Porsche 718 Forum
 90Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 149 Old 10-10-2018, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
johan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,011
Garage
The 718 HiFi Forum

So, your a HiFi geek, or mayby just a geek
Anyways if your in to good sound thru a good equipment playing in a good sounding room, then this is the thread for ya!


Bring it On!

For the fun of it.....
johan is online now  
post #2 of 149 Old 10-10-2018, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
 
Viffermike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Big D
Posts: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
So, your a HiFi geek, or mayby just a geek
Anyways if your in to good sound thru a good equipment playing in a good sounding room, then this is the thread for ya!

Bring it On!
NICE! Tuuuuubes!

My setup's more varied and centers as much around home stereo as it does mobile audio, both current and vintage (Example: I have no less than eight portable CD players and four 'Walkman' cassette players, all of which are operable.) I'm an accuracy freak (which causes me to stray away from tuuuuubes except in my bass guitar rig, LOL) ... and I'm a budget audiophile; I've got some high-end gear, but nothing obscene.

What kind of speakers are those, @johan ? Can't quite make out the name on the woofer surround ... ?

-- Life is a journey made more exciting with a fast car. --
-- Helmets are for closers. --
-- Death to all who chrome! --
Blackened '18 NBM 718 Cayman: "Alli". Audio mods TBD
Viffermike is online now  
post #3 of 149 Old 10-10-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
johan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,011
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
NICE! Tuuuuubes!

My setup's more varied and centers as much around home stereo as it does mobile audio, both current and vintage (Example: I have no less than eight portable CD players and four 'Walkman' cassette players, all of which are operable.) I'm an accuracy freak (which causes me to stray away from tuuuuubes except in my bass guitar rig, LOL) ... and I'm a budget audiophile; I've got some high-end gear, but nothing obscene.

What kind of speakers are those, @johan ? Can't quite make out the name on the woofer surround ... ?

That pic is from a shoot out between JJ Electronic and my setup with Accuphase and Mccormack.



It ended like this.......

The black piece in the front i borrowed until my own unit was built.




The speakers are WLM, an Austrian Company that had a total makeover a couple of years ago so the "old" models are gone
Wiener Lautsprecher Manufaktur
The models i have is Aura Active and Duo 18.
The top tube amps for the tweeters, 10W the black piece on the floor takes the midrange 20W and 4000W QSC to the sub.
System sensitivity 98db - 101db
All handled by System Control 5, thats an Active filter.


WLm had a speciall way of thinking, the "head" on the speaker have two tweeters in them, with different angles.
The idea is that your gonna use the first reflex on the side wall to create a sound bubble with perfect phase, it works Really well!
There is a jigg for that so all the angles are correct.

Over all a smooth sounding setup that can knock you of your feet.
The sub have two 18" woofers in push pull so even at +120db the cabinet have no vibrations at all.


I also have a small home theater, dont look on the floor!!

For the fun of it.....

Last edited by johan; 10-10-2018 at 12:12 PM.
johan is online now  
 
post #4 of 149 Old 10-10-2018, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
 
Viffermike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Big D
Posts: 1,243
Suuuuubs! THUNNNNNNNDERRRRR!

(Hah!)

Yeah, I got nothin' compared to that stuff ... I'll have to take a pic of the current setups (main, bedroom, computer). Basically:

Main (5.1 HT/2.1 music)
Integra DRX 5.2 A/V receiver
Classe CA-2100 power amp
Emotiva ERC-3 Gen 2 CD player
Cambridge CXN network streamer
Synology dual-HDD NAS
modified Apple Mac Mini (for digital ripping/backup NAS)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 bookshelf speakers (mains)
SVS SB-2000 sub
NHT SB-1 surrounds
NHT Classic Center

Bedroom
Denon D-M101 executive system
Mission LX-3 bookshelf speakers (prototypes)
Athena AS-P300 subwoofer

Computer
Arcam rDAC DAC
Vanatoo Transparent Zero speakers
Velodyne MicroVee sub

-- Life is a journey made more exciting with a fast car. --
-- Helmets are for closers. --
-- Death to all who chrome! --
Blackened '18 NBM 718 Cayman: "Alli". Audio mods TBD
Viffermike is online now  
post #5 of 149 Old 10-10-2018, 09:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: South Australia
Posts: 868
Nice gear, guys.

I have a bedroom system--old stuff; a computer system--really basic; and a living room system that doubles for TV watching.

55" LED TV
Highly modified Linn Sondek, arm and cartridge, 400+ LPs
Mac Mini with 3.5 thousand albums
Audiophilleo
Audio-gd DAC
ME 15 pre--modified and upgraded
SGR CX4F active speakers--upgraded to current drive, 650 watts/channel (tweeter, mid, mid-bass, 4 bass speakers in each cabinet).
All in a 7 x 7.5 x 3 metre irregularly shaped room with cathedral ceiling, and overlooking a park and river valley. (I can't see or hear any neighbours unless I really try. Don't know if they can hear me--they haven't complained!)

And while it's not hi-fi, a commercial lever espresso machine!

Music is mostly Jazz, rock, and alternative--all adult-->no kid stuff allowed.
GregW is offline  
post #6 of 149 Old 10-10-2018, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
johan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,011
Garage
One might think i am a bass freak with al those subs, well i am not i cant even go under 20hz. (but 130db @ 20hz)
But i do like Super low distortion, bottomless dynamics and to be able to play really load without compromising with those things.
So both setups have a sensitivity above 98db and i don't use a lot of Watts (well the subs have A lot) and mainly amps in class A


2 ch setup is more "puristic" and the HT also uses Dirac for FIIR filters and a mix of digital/active xo
I sold all my LP:s years back that i regret but my CD collection stays and i also stream via jRiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Suuuuubs! THUNNNNNNNDERRRRR!

(Hah!)

Yeah, I got nothin' compared to that stuff ... I'll have to take a pic of the current setups (main, bedroom, computer). Basically:

Main (5.1 HT/2.1 music)
Integra DRX 5.2 A/V receiver
Classe CA-2100 power amp
Emotiva ERC-3 Gen 2 CD player
Cambridge CXN network streamer
Synology dual-HDD NAS
modified Apple Mac Mini (for digital ripping/backup NAS)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 bookshelf speakers (mains)
SVS SB-2000 sub
NHT SB-1 surrounds
NHT Classic Center

Bedroom
Denon D-M101 executive system
Mission LX-3 bookshelf speakers (prototypes)
Athena AS-P300 subwoofer

Computer
Arcam rDAC DAC
Vanatoo Transparent Zero speakers
Velodyne MicroVee sub

Well its not a completion
I have been doing this since my teens and i am 50 years old so there have been a lot of changes over the years.
Also i am part time acoustic consultant, imo the room is just as important as the gear.
I am pretty impressed with the work i have done to the acoustic
For those who likes that stuff i have a lot of graphs and numbers.


Ascend Acoustics, that was something new for me, you got to love ribbon tweeters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Nice gear, guys.

I have a bedroom system--old stuff; a computer system--really basic; and a living room system that doubles for TV watching.

55" LED TV
Highly modified Linn Sondek, arm and cartridge, 400+ LPs
Mac Mini with 3.5 thousand albums
Audiophilleo
Audio-gd DAC
ME 15 pre--modified and upgraded
SGR CX4F active speakers--upgraded to current drive, 650 watts/channel (tweeter, mid, mid-bass, 4 bass speakers in each cabinet).
All in a 7 x 7.5 x 3 metre irregularly shaped room with cathedral ceiling, and overlooking a park and river valley. (I can't see or hear any neighbours unless I really try. Don't know if they can hear me--they haven't complained!)

And while it's not hi-fi, a commercial lever espresso machine!

Music is mostly Jazz, rock, and alternative--all adult-->no kid stuff allowed.

Nice setup - Analog guy and the room!
SGR CX4F, that's also something new for me.
All my gear uses active xo, i haven't used passive speakers for years.
Its a bit harder if your in to DIY and want to have compensation in the filters but its well worth it!

For the fun of it.....
johan is online now  
post #7 of 149 Old 10-11-2018, 02:56 AM
Senior Member
 
sevencyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 120
I have Audio Research CD 3 playing through Audible Illusion Modulus IIC pre amp into Audio Research VT 50 Tube Amp and out of ProAc Response 2.5 speakers. MIT interconnects and speaker cables biwired. Great spatial image . Base is fine but the midrange sounds great.
Viffermike likes this.
sevencyclist is offline  
post #8 of 149 Old 10-11-2018, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
johan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,011
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevencyclist View Post
I have Audio Research CD 3 playing through Audible Illusion Modulus IIC pre amp into Audio Research VT 50 Tube Amp and out of ProAc Response 2.5 speakers. MIT interconnects and speaker cables biwired. Great spatial image . Base is fine but the midrange sounds great.
That's a Classic setup without a doubt
ProAc most cloned speaker brand there is.
Viffermike likes this.

For the fun of it.....
johan is online now  
post #9 of 149 Old 10-11-2018, 12:40 PM
Senior Member
 
R Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 146
Garage
Nice hardware @sevencyclist and @johan !!!


I'm more of a "budget" audiophile like @Viffermike.

In my main living area, I have a Yamaha Aventage RX-A1080 with NHT Absolute Towers, NHT Super Center, NHT iC2ceiling surrounds, and an SVS SB13 Ulta Subwoofer.


In the bedroom, I have another 5.1 system driven by an older Yamaha with all NHT speakers (including 10" sub).


And, on my PC, it's connected to a small Yamaha receiver with polk audio bookshelves and powered sub.

2017 718 Cayman S - GT Silver, PASM Sport, PTV, Chrono, PSE, PDLS, Sport Seats +, Manual Gearbox

Last edited by R Doug; 10-12-2018 at 10:39 AM.
R Doug is offline  
post #10 of 149 Old 10-11-2018, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
 
R Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 146
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post



It ended like this.......

The black piece in the front i borrowed until my own unit was built.


I bet that sounds as good as it looks. My bucket list goal is to have a nice high end reference room for just audio someday (like, when I build our final retirement home).

2017 718 Cayman S - GT Silver, PASM Sport, PTV, Chrono, PSE, PDLS, Sport Seats +, Manual Gearbox
R Doug is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
718 GTS Forum - says only Cayman AviBen Forum Member Reviews 4 10-13-2018 09:05 PM
Ideas for a Growing 718 Forum Community TEST DRyVer 718forum.com Site Issue, Help and Feedback 26 03-20-2018 11:56 AM
Great Forum Peter New Member Introductions 7 02-09-2018 04:49 PM
Forum Rating 718Admin Forum Member Reviews 0 09-13-2017 03:21 PM
New to Forum Gallatin New Member Introductions 7 12-21-2016 08:45 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome