Viffermike's Super-duper Soundaktor Disconnection Guide - Page 16 - Porsche 718 Forum
 152Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 173 Old 03-20-2019, 08:01 AM

post #152 of 173 Old 03-20-2019, 11:50 AM

Ok, only took a couple days, but here are pictures from my 2018 Boxster GTS. Only takes a minute to pull the fuse. Three pictures which progressively get closer. You'll see the fuse panel is under the carpet basically just ahead of the taillight fixture of sorts. The third picture shows the first row of fuses which are mainly blue. The aktuator fuse is a red 7.5amp fuse that is just above the lower row of fuses. Carpet easily pulls back with your hand. And you can see my 7.5 fuse on the carpet basically just below where the panel is in the trunk too for some extra reference.

I need to drive the car more with the fuse out and probably also pop it back in for some driving, but my initial thoughts are the car sounds more natural and mechanical and also quieter on the whole. Less engine noise for the most part. That said, until I do some more back to back driving for tests I don't know that leaving the fuse in place vs pulling is that big of a deal - at least for me. But more testing will is required really. Plus side, snow is pretty well melted, and with a week since the last snow rocks fairly well flung off the main driving lines of the roads - time to get some mileage in this week. 200 miles to go until the 2k run-in distance is achieved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	20358   Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	20360   Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk3.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	20362  
Viffermike, Zzyzx, johan and 1 others like this.
post #153 of 173 Old 03-20-2019, 02:28 PM

I took off the fuse after about a day and a half of driving when I first picked up my car. Two weeks ago, I put back the fuse to see if I can hear any difference, and noted that in normal mode (Non-Sport, and with the exhaust button turned off) there's a higher pitch sound that is always present with the fuse in place. That sound increases in pitch when car gets moving faster. I took off the fuse again after about a week, and noticed that sound is gone. The fuse associated sound I would describe is kinda like when you are on an airplane, there's always a high pitch sound.

With the exhaust button turned on, the sound is marginally increased, but definitely I hear the upshift fake sound more prominently even when I have not upshifted with my manual transmission.

I personally like to drive with the normal mode with the PSE button in off position to experience the most basic engine sound, with revving of the engine coming from my foot. I only use Sport button when I want a better acceleration off the line since the idle RPM is 1200 instead of 800-900. I do notice with the Sports button on, the car vibration is more solid and steering is slightly sharper and precise, probably with the engine bracket mount firmed up. Hard to describe but that what I attribute to the characteristic of the button. That is not affected by the lack of 7.5 amp fuse.

post #154 of 173 Old 03-20-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
Ok, only took a couple days, but here are pictures from my 2018 Boxster GTS. Only takes a minute to pull the fuse. Three pictures which progressively get closer. You'll see the fuse panel is under the carpet basically just ahead of the taillight fixture of sorts. The third picture shows the first row of fuses which are mainly blue. The aktuator fuse is a red 7.5amp fuse that is just above the lower row of fuses. Carpet easily pulls back with your hand. And you can see my 7.5 fuse on the carpet basically just below where the panel is in the trunk too for some extra reference.

I need to drive the car more with the fuse out and probably also pop it back in for some driving, but my initial thoughts are the car sounds more natural and mechanical and also quieter on the whole. Less engine noise for the most part. That said, until I do some more back to back driving for tests I don't know that leaving the fuse in place vs pulling is that big of a deal - at least for me. But more testing will is required really. Plus side, snow is pretty well melted, and with a week since the last snow rocks fairly well flung off the main driving lines of the roads - time to get some mileage in this week. 200 miles to go until the 2k run-in distance is achieved.
Thanks, that does look easy !

718 Boxster GTS and 986 Boxster S
post #155 of 173 Old 03-23-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith View Post

Thanks. Youíre right, itís a 2 minute job at most.

I took the fuse out today.

Iíve driven 120 miles since.

I canít really say I can hear a difference, but then I canít tell much difference between sports exhaust being on or off either.

718 Boxster GTS and 986 Boxster S
post #156 of 173 Old 03-25-2019, 08:53 AM

It’s finally off!

Must say the cabin ambience has been much quieter, more natural and the ride smoother without the irritating low rev shudder. There tends to be a buzz in the ears before, though I don’t get headaches nowadays, I remember experiencing some in the 1st week of ownership. Probably my ears acclimatised quickly after.

Unlikely to have it back. The best part is the shudder that’s gone - reminiscent of my beginner driving lessons when clutch control was still lacking - this cannot happen for a marque like Porsche.

Thanks Viffermike and others who made this hack possible!
Viffermike and johan like this.
post #157 of 173 Old 03-29-2019, 04:01 PM

First, a BIG THANK YOU to Viffermike, garyinmotion and everyone else who has contributed a LOT of good information regarding this topic!

I brought my 2019 CGTS home in early November. It hibernated. Now the weather has finally improved and I drove it again yesterday to run some errands. I was struck by the general sound level in the car (with the windows up). I was somewhat disappointed by the drumming, droning sounds I was hearing. I wondered why Porsche hadn't done a better job with the sound deadening. Years ago, for car and airplane travel, I purchased a pair of noise-cancelling headphones to attenuate the very types of sounds that I was hearing in my new car. This morning, when searching for pictures of the rear bumper beam for a trailer hitch that I am designing, I ran across this thread. I immediately went out to the garage and checked my car. There is no Soundaktor control box attached to the left-rear bodywork as in earlier cars. But there was a 7.5-amp fuse in position ten of the top row of the fuse panel in the right-rear bodywork. I immediately pulled the fuse and went for a drive, accompanied by my wife (her first ride in the car). The difference in sound was immediate and impressive. As others have noted, the sounds are now much more natural, clean and pleasant. The fuse will not be going back into the panel. And I don't care where the control box is located.

To make fuse removal and installation easier, simply use a fuse puller. They are inexpensive and are available at auto parts stores. They are also available for free at junk yards--no respectable junk yard counterperson would charge for a fuse puller. I have included a picture for reference (two fuse pullers shown).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2092.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	20486  
Viffermike and Nosmo like this.
post #158 of 173 Old 03-29-2019, 04:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirogi718 View Post
First, a BIG THANK YOU to Viffermike, garyinmotion and everyone else who has contributed a LOT of good information regarding this topic!

I brought my 2019 CGTS home in early November. It hibernated. Now the weather has finally improved and I drove it again yesterday to run some errands. I was struck by the general sound level in the car (with the windows up). I was somewhat disappointed by the drumming, droning sounds I was hearing. I wondered why Porsche hadn't done a better job with the sound deadening. Years ago, for car and airplane travel, I purchased a pair of noise-cancelling headphones to attenuate the very types of sounds that I was hearing in my new car. This morning, when searching for pictures of the rear bumper beam for a trailer hitch that I am designing, I ran across this thread. I immediately went out to the garage and checked my car. There is no Soundaktor control box attached to the left-rear bodywork as in earlier cars. But there was a 7.5-amp fuse in position ten of the top row of the fuse panel in the right-rear bodywork. I immediately pulled the fuse and went for a drive, accompanied by my wife (her first ride in the car). The difference in sound was immediate and impressive. As others have noted, the sounds are now much more natural, clean and pleasant. The fuse will not be going back into the panel. And I don't care where the control box is located.

To make fuse removal and installation easier, simply use a fuse puller. They are inexpensive and are available at auto parts stores. They are also available for free at junk yards--no respectable junk yard counterperson would charge for a fuse puller. I have included a picture for reference (two fuse pullers shown).
And in your main fuse box up front. Just fyi.

JazzCatGab
Kentucky
2019 Base Cayman
-----------------------
Manual shift, 18" wheels, PASM, Sports Chrono, black tailpipes, cellphone compartment, CarPlay, PE&D
post #159 of 173 Old 03-29-2019, 05:55 PM

Garage
I ripped the "Donald-fuse" out today when picking up my new 718 Boxster, even before it left the showroom.
It has now been so long since I test drove a 718 so I can't really tell the difference, but there is definitely not any rattling noise as there clearly was in my VW Golf GTI also fitted with a SoundAktor before I disabled it.
Out of curiosity I may put the fuse back for a short while just to be able to tell the difference, but I don't think it will be permanent as I like it as it is now.
post #160 of 173 Old 03-29-2019, 08:23 PM

Thanks, JazzCatGab, for the info about the car already having a fuse puller. I had expected that there would be one, but I just haven't been to the front fuse panel yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page