Viffermike's Super-duper Soundaktor Disconnection Guide - Porsche 718 Forum
 152Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 171 Old 10-01-2018, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Viffermike's Super-duper Soundaktor Disconnection Guide

OK, folks: I finally did this, and as most say, it is very simple -- a 2 out of 10 on the difficulty scale.
There are definitely a couple of points to consider so that disassembly/disconnection/reassembly goes as smoothly as possible -- but armed with this info, this can be done by anyone in 2-3 minutes. Seriously!

You don't really even need any tools, but the following come in handy:
- A long-shafted, narrow-blade screwdriver
- A flashlight

EDIT: As an alternative solution, pulling a fuse apparently has the same effect as the procedure below. Refer to this pictorial at Post 64 deep in this thread by @garyinmotion for a guide to pulling the fuse.

The following pics are on a 2018 718 Cayman. Boxsters are slightly different, but the basic instructions still apply. Let's dive in:

Here's the left-hand corner of the rear hatch area. (Note the D-rings for context.) The two key elements of the area are identified:

A closer image of the two elements: the semi-rigid panel and the carpet seam. Find the indention noted on this image:

Place your fingers behind the indention and firmly pull on the panel horizontally toward the centerline of the car (to the right). The panel should pop right off:

Here's a shot of the business side of the panel, with mounting points noted. A note: The guide 'spikes' have conical covers that help keep the panel aligned and prevent squeaking. DO NOT LOSE THESE. If you pull the panel and you see a spike like the one on the left of the image, look for the conical piece that covers it on the floor of the hatch area. It'll be around.

Now the area where the Soundaktor module lives is exposed. Find the carpet seam pictured, pull back on the corner indicated ... :

... and poof! There she is!:

To disconnect the plug, use your finger (or the recommended screwdriver) to apply pressure to the gray plug latch as described in the photo:

The plug can be slipped downward and off the Soundaktor module based on the image. This one's ready to come off:

Most of you can simply leave the plug hanging like this:

But I don't like stuff flopping around like that, so I affixed industrial-strength Velcro to both the plug and the module ...:

... and mounted the plug like this onto the module itself:

Now just tuck the corner of the carpet back in place and reinstall the removable panel (This shot shows how the metal clip and guide spikes align with their respective holes):

To install the panel, align the clips/spikes with the holes, then press/push firmly in the opposite direction of how it was removed. After that, you're done!

-- Life is a journey made more exciting with a fast car. --
-- Helmets are for closers. --
-- Death to all who chrome! --
Blackened '18 NBM 718 Cayman: "Alli". Audio mods TBD

Last edited by Viffermike; 10-29-2018 at 06:24 PM.
post #2 of 171 Old 10-01-2018, 11:42 AM

Garage
Finally! Very clear instructions!
Viffermike likes this.
post #3 of 171 Old 10-01-2018, 01:50 PM

Great guide! Thanks for doing this. On my list to do post arrival of my 718 in November.
Viffermike likes this.

post #4 of 171 Old 10-01-2018, 02:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM718 View Post
Great guide! Thanks for doing this. On my list to do post arrival of my 718 in November.
I am hoping the MY19 CS also doesn't come with it, just like Wine O's BS. I will know soon.
post #5 of 171 Old 10-01-2018, 03:07 PM

Very nice write up! Thanks!
Viffermike likes this.
post #6 of 171 Old 10-02-2018, 12:51 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Scubaregs
Was in Porsche Glasgow yesterday getting the side vent griles fitted, asked about the soundaktor and puzzled the service manager. Came back to me later and said it had puzzled them all, not fitted on 718s in the UK.
post #7 of 171 Old 10-02-2018, 05:11 AM

Just to add some Boxster-specific info to Viffermike's:

1 The Soundaktor is in the same place: on the left rear quarter panel, inside the boot/trunk, by the floor of the boot.

2 It's much simpler to open the lining of the boot than the Cayman--there are no clips. It is a fitted plastic cover with the usual carpet-like coating.

3 The "hand grip" is in the upper/left/rear corner of the boot opening. Just give a good pull and it all releases from the boot latch to the wheel well.

4 Proceed as above.

5 Re-installation: Push the cover firmly back into place ensuring it goes behind the rubber retaining seals on the top edge.
Viffermike likes this.
post #8 of 171 Old 10-02-2018, 08:03 AM
XK4

Garage
Thanks for the post. Should be a help to many members. On a semi-related note: I disconnected the Soundaktor. My wife noticed right away, problem it that she didn't like the new sound.

Oh well. Reconnecting it is as easy as disconnecting it.

Agate Grey 2018 Cayman S
post #9 of 171 Old 10-02-2018, 08:08 AM

I have wanted to do this but am suddenly concerned that it has many wires. If it's just essentially a glorified speaker, why would it need 6+ wires? Maybe that's a control module and the speaker it elsewhere so you have 2 for power, 2 for output to the speaker but what about the other 2?
post #10 of 171 Old 10-02-2018, 01:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusRandall View Post
I have wanted to do this but am suddenly concerned that it has many wires. If it's just essentially a glorified speaker, why would it need 6+ wires? Maybe that's a control module and the speaker it elsewhere so you have 2 for power, 2 for output to the speaker but what about the other 2?
You have to divide the wires with 2 since the aktor is connected in serial.
of the wires is going in to the aktor the second half is out.
So on the input there would be atleast signal from the ECU, Power
And on the output the would be signal to the tactile unit, mayby power to the tactile unit

For the fun of it.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page