How much leather - Porsche 718 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-07-2019, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

How much leather

I have the base interior. Want to find all the leather parts to apply protection lotion.

The seats are partial leather, which I take to mean vinyl.

The smooth leather on website is listed as the following: steering wheel, gear shifter (and boot), door handles, door armrest and panel, and console lid. The console lid seems plastic though, and I can't convince myself the door armrest and panels are leather.

Does anyone have more refined information? Thanks in advance.
post #2 of 13 Old 03-07-2019, 03:57 AM

Garage
I think partial leather seats means the facings are leather but the back and sides are probably vinyl

718 Cayman GTS - GT silver, Carrera sport wheels, led, gloss black, pdk, black/Bordeaux leather, bose
post #3 of 13 Old 03-07-2019, 04:00 AM

Garage
The console lid is plastic on the base model and leather on the S and above.

post #4 of 13 Old 03-07-2019, 07:13 AM

Garage
I had the partial leather seats on my 981 and have full leather interior on the 982. If I recall correctly, only part of the seats were leather on the 981 and everything else was faux-leather material. There was no stitching anywhere except on the seats. With the full leather the following are leather and stitching is present everywhere: seats, door panels, upper and lower dash including glove box, instrument panel cover, steering wheel center, console sides, console lid, and probably more I am forgetting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NC-04s.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	20184   Click image for larger version

Name:	NC-05s.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	20186   Click image for larger version

Name:	OC-18s.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	619.4 KB
ID:	20188  

Current: 2018 Cayman, Black with black leather interior, Cayman S wheels, 6MT, numerous performance and luxury options
Previous: 2014 Cayman, Black with black interior, Cayman S wheels, 6MT
Previous: 1986 944, Stone Gray with black interior, phone dial wheels, 5MT

Last edited by ArchiProf; 03-07-2019 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Typo
post #5 of 13 Old 03-07-2019, 10:02 AM

I've got the "full leather" Chalk/Black, and as far as I'm concerned, every surface in the interior is plastic. The "leather" on the seats is covered with a thin layer of plastic. The soft plastic is plastic. Vinyl is plastic.

There seems to be a rise in car care products, whether a cleaner, conditioner, or protectant, designed and marketed for everything in the interior - plastic, vinyl, leather, let's include rubber - because they are all essentially, in fact, plastic.

I would gladly get leather care products if I thought they would do anything for me that the "all-in-one" cleaners and conditioners don't, but I just don't believe that's the case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4262110322.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	20190  

300 is plenty, 350's too many, and 365 is not enough.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-07-2019, 10:14 AM

There is some luxury aura to being able to claim all leather. I did the alcantara/full leather (but not GTS interior) upgrade myself. That said, the "leather" dash, console, door panels, etc. seem to be a fairly low grade composite leather material. I would have strongly considered the natural leather upgrade if it had been available in black (without paying for custom color). It is always challenging to decide on interior care products for that type of leather. The good news, is I also expect that type of leather to wear well. My 2012 Acura TL has what I consider higher quality leather on the seats and you definitely see creases and some discoloration.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-07-2019, 10:22 AM

Garage
Base rule is:
stitched -> leather
not stitched -> composite leather (= plastic)
NeTx likes this.

2019 CGTS Jet Black Metallic
post #8 of 13 Old 03-07-2019, 12:16 PM

Look at the photo I posted. There is stitching right next to the tear in the plastic veneer.

300 is plenty, 350's too many, and 365 is not enough.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-07-2019, 04:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by duegatti View Post
Look at the photo I posted. There is stitching right next to the tear in the plastic veneer.
Hello Duegatti - you are right - the correct reply should be:

stitched with contrasting seam (german "Kontrastnaht") -> leather
other -> composite leather (= plastic)

at least this is the information i had from my Porsche dealer.
Additionally leather can be treated with varnish (paint/lacquer) for protection.
CupraLeon likes this.

2019 CGTS Jet Black Metallic
post #10 of 13 Old 03-08-2019, 12:50 AM

Most motor vehicle leather, with VERY FEW exceptions, has a polyurethane coating. The more expensive the leather the better the base leather and the thinner the coating, resulting in a softer, more pliable surface.

Put a drop of water on the leather. If it soaks in immediately it is uncoated leather and you must clean and protect with leather products only--and do it often. It will stain. If the water stays on the surface then products should be designed for coated leather and it will need cleaning and protecting much less often.

Coated on not, a hard scrub is definitely not applicable. Soft natural bristle brushes and clean cotton rags only. If you wouldn't scrub your skin with it then it can easily tear up the surface of decent leather.
ArchiProf and Viffermike like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in