Welcome to 718forum.com - please post an introduction! - Porsche 718 Forum
 100Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 129 Old 08-14-2014, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Lightbulb Welcome to 718forum.com - please post an introduction!

Welcome to 718forum.com - The best and friendliest Porsche 718 Forum! As a new member please take a moment to introduce yourself to the community.
CaymanT and GINKO718 like this.
post #2 of 129 Old 08-18-2014, 12:21 PM

Hey all. Glad to be here on the forum. I'm excited to see a cheaper Porsche that I can afford. Should make a great weekend car.

Looking forward to lots of lively discussion with you guys.

Cheers!

post #3 of 129 Old 09-03-2014, 11:58 AM

Always was into compact sports cars, seeing how porsche is coming out with one within my price range, i just had to jump on the hype about it.

post #4 of 129 Old 06-22-2016, 10:34 PM

This is my first post and in the venture of full disclosure, I have virtually no experience with Porsche's of any kind other than driving against them on the track. My wife is looking to buy a convertible and we attended a Cars and Coffee at a local Porsche dealership. She drove a 2016 Boxter and really liked it. It certainly holds a lot of promise compared to others that we have driven. This past weekend we both had the chance to drive the 718 Boxster S that the dealer just got in for demo use. It had the excellent handling that I expected and certainly enough power to be fun. The BOSE system sounded really good and worth the $990, although I have to get past the sticker shock of Porsche options compared to American car option costs. The Apple Car play worked well and the seats were excellent.

We still have have some more cars to look at and drive as more 2017 models are released. The 718 will be at the top of the list and will be the car the others will be compared against. I do hope to learn more about this car from others on this forum as time goes on. In the end it will be my wife's decision as the car will be her daily driver. Thanks in advance for your patience.
zegerman and FiscNad like this.
post #5 of 129 Old 09-02-2016, 03:43 PM

Placed Order August 1

Hello all. New to the site but long time Porsche owner. Sold my 2013 981 Boxster a year ago for a 2013 Carrera S cab PDK. Really missed the 6 speed and lightness of the Boxster so the 911 is gone and I sit and wait. Ordered free white/black top/agate gray interior /sport exhaust/ sport seats/sport suspension/black wheels and not a lot else. Looks like November delivery. I've had 2000,2003,2008, 2013 and now the 2017 Boxster. All great cars on the street and track.
post #6 of 129 Old 09-05-2016, 03:14 PM

Hi
I am a new member. I sold my 911 SC 3.0. I enjoyed the flat 6, but even if the 911 oldtimer prices go up, I cannot afford a new 991. So I tested the new 718 and I've been impressed by the first run. That car is agile, powerful, precise and very funny to drive.... Plenty of people are reluctant to the 718 4 cylinders engine, but most of them did not practise it
post #7 of 129 Old 09-25-2016, 11:44 AM

Cool Introduction

Glad the 718forum exists and happy to be a member. I traded a 2012 Boxster for a new red 2 liter 718 with manual transmission. My 718 was ordered on 6/30/16 and expected delivery is early November. I am retired live in Arizona and participate in the Performance Driving Program at local race tracks.
charlotte and zegerman like this.
post #8 of 129 Old 09-25-2016, 02:32 PM

Congrats on putting down an order for your 718! Since you live in Arizona, every season is top down season. What color did you get?
post #9 of 129 Old 10-03-2016, 09:46 AM

Guards Red with the Luxor Beige interior.
zegerman likes this.
post #10 of 129 Old 10-03-2016, 09:53 PM

Garage
Hi Everyone,

I bought a 718 Boxster off the lot a couple weeks ago. My first Porsche and I love it. I was ready to order an S with a manual and some other options, but after test driving the base with PDK, it's so quick and the PDK is so good that I pulled the trigger. I'm coming from an Audi S5 Convertible supercharged V6 with DSG. It's Jet Black Metallic with beige interior, premium plus, sport seats, Bose, nav, connect plus, 20" wheels. Personally, I think the engine sounds great, though admittedly I have no experience with the previous flat 6. I like the growl of the turbo 4 and it really pulls over 2000 rpm. When driving around town, I can almost never wind out the gears, so I really like having an engine that delivers lots of torque. In sport mode, the engine really begs you to push it hard and basically won't shift if it's not going to keep you in the power band. IMO turbo lag is virtually non-existent. There are times when you can feel it, but it's really not a problem. My only issue with the power delivery is that sometimes if you're in slow-moving traffic and not in sport mode and you want to quickly accelerate and change lanes, it lags a bit when you step on the gas, which can be a little disconcerting. I just quickly hit the sport button before making such maneuvers and the problem goes away. The S5 is fast, but doesn't feel nearly as quick or agile even in dynamic mode. You put your foot down and your at 100mph before you know it. I'm excited to get it on a race track.

My biggest complaint is that the PCM software doesn't seem completely finished. The iPod interface basically doesn't work. It will only play whatever was playing on the iPod before plugging it in. The navigation UI never comes up with my iPod classic or iPod touch. My car didn't have the $0 voice control option, which is a bummer. I know voice control is mostly terrible in all cars, but I can usually get it to call my wife, which is mostly what I'd use it for anyway. Also, because no voice control, the voice control button doesn't activate Siri either via CarPlay or bluetooth, which is also a real bummer. After using CarPlay, it feels a little odd to use the 8 mode buttons below the display. The touchscreen is so good, the PCM should all be done on the touchscreen IMO.

So far I haven't been super impressed by the Connect Plus features. Google search works well, and I suppose Google earth & street view could be useful, but the rest of it, not so much. The only 2 streaming music apps are radio.net and napster. I suppose some people use them, but it would be nice to have Apple Music, Spotify and Pandora. It's also weird that I have to connect my phone to the car using wifi in order to get Porsche Connect apps even though there's already a bluetooth connection, though I suppose it's not too different from requiring a wired connection to use CarPlay. Hopefully we'll get wireless CarPlay at some point. Also w.r.t. Porsche Car Connect, locking and unlocking doors is fine, but I want to be able to control the windows and top in case of unexpected weather changes.

I had a SmartTOP controller for my Audi, which worked pretty well. I'm thinking about getting one for my Boxster also. I don't really have a problem holding the switch while the top goes up or down, but it's weird that the windows go half way down, then back up after the top is down. I almost never want that and I think the SmartTOP can be programmed to behave differently. The user should just be able to configure the windows up or down when putting the top down. And the SmartTOP will allow putting the top up/down from the remote.

Rumor has it there's going to be a PCM software update in October that will hopefully fix some of these issues. And maybe someone will figure out how to fix the rest of them via coding (like the disabled voice control). The annoyances are really minor and have nothing to do with the driving experience, but I am hoping to see the infotainment tech improve.

Anyway, I love the car. It's so much fun to drive and I'm excited chat with fellow enthusiasts.
zegerman, Gallatin and FiscNad like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page