• 9 Post By Pinocchio
  • 3 Post By Schredder
  • 1 Post By MLJJ
  • 1 Post By Porsche2018
  • 1 Post By Pinocchio

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-15-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Old dog. New 718 Cayman S Tricks

Hi! My name is Pinocchio. I am so named because I have severe peripheral neuropathy. Essentially, I cannot feel or move any part of my body below my knees. Without braces, I walk with a marionette's gate - like a puppet on strings - else my feet drop when I walk and I fall down. Because I cannot move my ankles, feet, and toes, I push down and lift up my feet using my thigh and hamstring muscles. I "locate" my right foot on the peddles using sensations in my knee joints; think of a blind person compensating for the lack of visual input by developing super sensitive hearing.

I use only my right foot when I am driving so manual shifting is out. I could do it, but it would be pretty tough to know where my right foot is, if i didn't hold my left foot still and on the floor: something to do with how I know where my feet are in physical space. Thankfully, Porshe's PDK system is absolutely incredible, and I manage to negotiate Thunderhill Raceway at a considerable pace...catching and passing numerous other beginning drivers at a recent HPDE put on by the Audi Club of North America, Golden Gate Division (A great group of people, by the way).

I am a beginning high performance driver and a first time Porsche owner. My second, 3-day, HPDE event is coming up in April at Thunderhill Raceway. My goals are to perform smoother pedal and steering inputs and to turn in a little sooner or use trailing brakes, its up to my instructors, to nail the apexes.

You have heard of mid-life-crisis Porsche purchases. Well, my 718 Cayman S was a response to a late-life-crisis. I have wanted a Porsche since I was 16 years old. I guess 50 years is long enough to wait. I am 67 years old and live on the Monterey Bay in Northern California. I think I will be driving HPDE events regularly. Eventually, I want to be able to run Laguna Seca - a nearby race course where, unlike Thunderhill Raceway, walls are a very real issue. I cannot afford to have my daily driving car smacking into barriers.

Dog Speed
post #2 of 9 Old 02-15-2019, 04:09 PM

I understand your issues. I am 53, I am disabled and have a chronic pain syndrome like fibro myalgia with Gait disturbances. I drag my left foot. And have chronic fatigue. All from multiple injuries. I could also drive a manual, but opted for a 2019 CGTS with PDK. I haven't driven my car yet. Waiting on spring in Maine. I always wanted a Porsche and it is a mid slash end of life crisis. I am hoping to be able to hit a couple local car shows a month and go for Sunday drives. I feel excited and looking forward to life this spring. I am glad I read your post. Inspiring that if you can, I can. Life ain't over yet . Keep up the good fight , and keep us updated on your journey . Take care and be safe
post #3 of 9 Old 02-15-2019, 04:11 PM

Good on you Pinocchio! Share some pics of your ride when you can.
Pinocchio likes this.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-15-2019, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
You have heard of mid-life-crisis Porsche purchases. Well, my 718 Cayman S was a response to a late-life-crisis. I have wanted a Porsche since I was 16 years old. I guess 50 years is long enough to wait. I am 67 years old and live on the Monterey Bay in Northern California. I think I will be driving HPDE events regularly. Eventually, I want to be able to run Laguna Seca - a nearby race course where, unlike Thunderhill Raceway, walls are a very real issue. I cannot afford to have my daily driving car smacking into barriers.
Dog Speed

Welcome & Congratulations! It sounds life you are having a great time with your track mobile but, a minor correction it's not a mid life or late life crises but rather self-actualization. You're just living the dream and clearly it doesn't get much better than that.
Pinocchio likes this.

2018/991.2 GT Silver Metallic GT2-RS

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" ~ Vince Lombardi

"There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet" ~ Fleet Admiral William F. Halsey Jr.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-15-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

PDK will blow you away. I urge you to get your car out on a track. There is absolutely nothing like it. Good luck. You are an inspiration to me as well.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-19-2019, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

I now have more track experience. The more seat time I get the better I drive. I am sure there will be a point where I would need to be NOT handicapped to get the last bit out of my Cayman 718S but it is a long way off. I drive B group with HOD and I think I am about in the middle of the back as far as quickness, but I will never be elite with this handicap. Still, being handicapped puts no limit on how much fun I have and I can tell you, no one is having more fun driving fast than me. Cheers.
aeronca65tl likes this.

“That which we manifest is before us; we are the creators of our own destiny. Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves.”

― Garth Stein, The Art of Racing in the Rain
post #7 of 9 Old 05-19-2019, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
I now have more track experience. The more seat time I get the better I drive. I am sure there will be a point where I would need to be NOT handicapped to get the last bit out of my Cayman 718S but it is a long way off. I drive B group with HOD and I think I am about in the middle of the back as far as quickness, but I will never be elite with this handicap. Still, being handicapped puts no limit on how much fun I have and I can tell you, no one is having more fun driving fast than me. Cheers.
Well done, it’s all about being the best ‘you’ can be and your own improvements are against your own personal bests, then you’ll find yourself in front of others who are simply trying their best, keep us informed

2018 718S, UK, various extras, almost perfect!, Gyeon Ceramic coating, reversing camera, front view camera, Blackvue 900S twin 2 ch x 2 = 4 cameras.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-19-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Will do.

“That which we manifest is before us; we are the creators of our own destiny. Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves.”

post #9 of 9 Old 05-19-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Great thinking. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page