First Porsche ! - Porsche 718 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-23-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

First Porsche !

Just bought a 2018 718 Cayman Base in Graphite Blue Metallic with 20" carrera S wheels in brushed aluminum and PDK. Nothing too fancy, but i have always dreamed of owning a Porsche and this is like a dream come true.

Currently waiting for my AWE track exhaust to arrive and working to get Porsche Sport Suspension installed soon as well. Anyone have any recommendations for me?
Nosmo, bergmanmark and 718S like this.
post #2 of 12 Old 02-24-2019, 06:02 AM

Congratulations, they are great cars.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-24-2019, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome & Congratulations! Is your car new or preowned? If it's new then what are your feelings about the 2K break-in? Two schools of thought on the break-in approach but something to think about. Car detailing has become a hobby for me at least so if you're so inclined there is plenty of good information on this forum about detailing products if you don't already have some personal favorites. Are you going to do a PPF and/or a ceramic coating or go it without any protection? Just a few things to think about. Lastly, stay safe and have fun that's what it is all about!

2018/991.2 GT Silver Metallic GT2-RS

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" ~ Vince Lombardi

"There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet" ~ Fleet Admiral William F. Halsey Jr.

post #4 of 12 Old 02-24-2019, 04:14 PM

Congrats, on the new car. I know how you feel. I finally get to own a Porsche, and I'm sure you are as excited as I am. Enjoy
post #5 of 12 Old 04-25-2019, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

So sorry, Im just now seeing this. New to forums. The car is CPO and had 4000 miles on it when I got it. Would love to do a minor paint correction and ceramic coating. Any solid recommendations? I have the tools to do it but the first set of products I bought did nothing 😔 thank you for taking the time to reply to me.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-25-2019, 12:05 AM

I had basic correction and Opticoat Pro+ done to mine after much success on a previous car with the non plus version.
This stuff is HARD and I was told abrasives were the only way to get it off.

Maybe your car has had some such applied already.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-25-2019, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I had basic correction and Opticoat Pro+ done to mine after much success on a previous car with the non plus version.
This stuff is HARD and I was told abrasives were the only way to get it off.

Maybe your car has had some such applied already.
How did you strip it? Just a cutting compound?
post #8 of 12 Old 04-25-2019, 04:20 AM
vhs

Congratulations!

2018 CPO 718C, Sport Chrono, PASM, PTV, 20" Carrera S, Connect w/ApplePlay, PDK, Wht/Blk w/ Guards Red belts
post #9 of 12 Old 04-25-2019, 07:04 AM

Garage
Congratulations! Please post photos when you can.

Current: 2018 Cayman, Black with black leather interior, Cayman S wheels, 6MT, numerous performance and luxury options
Previous: 2014 Cayman, Black with black interior, Cayman S wheels, 6MT
Previous: 1986 944, Stone Gray with black interior, phone dial wheels, 5MT
post #10 of 12 Old 04-25-2019, 09:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickson View Post
How did you strip it? Just a cutting compound?
I think GregW means that when he got his car, he did what I did, took it to a detailer who made any "corrections" of flaws created during shipping, before the ceramic coating was applied. He can correct me if that is wrong. I had four coats of Ceramic Pro done after they corrected mine and included the wheels and windshield. The detailer also used a high temperature variation on the dual exhausts and brake caliper housings. And this stuff is tough. I took a large gravel to the front bumper from an oncoming truck. Sounded like the whole windshield caved in, it was so sickeningly loud. Back in the garage, I looked for the damage and couldn't find any. A few days later, washing bugs off the bumper, the work light was positioned just so that I saw a tiny light flair on the bumper at about driver distance from the side of the car body. Told the detailer and he asked for a picture. Took the picture and the imperfection is so tiny you have to know where it is among the metallic specks. I told him I'm not worrying about it and if he can find it during my annual top coating, he can fix it. I once asked him about doing PPF in parts like the front bumper instead of the ceramic coating and he said the coating would have to be removed with an abrasive compound. That was before I got whacked, and now I'm not so worried.
GregW likes this.

JazzCatGab
Kentucky
2019 Base Cayman
-----------------------
Manual shift, 18" wheels, PASM, Sports Chrono, black tailpipes, cellphone compartment, CarPlay, PE&D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page