DIY Oil Change - Page 14 - Porsche 718 Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 139 Old 03-26-2019, 11:04 AM

I've had the pleasure of changing the oil and filter on my 2018 Cayman GTS with PDK 3 times and agree the hardest part is removing and re-installing the oil filter. I have a Quickjack and use creeper to move around to remove the undertray in fairly quick fashion. I then remove the top bolt of the headlight sensor with a 10 mm flat wrench extended for reach.
That should give you enough room to drop the oil filter, however you can also remove the bottom headlight sensor bolt if that helps.

I usually stock up at Canadian Tire when Mobil 0-40 goes on sale and use OEM filters from the Porsche dealer. I've probably saved over $1000 doing my own oil changes up to this point, however it helps to have the Quickjack and the right tools.
Dan.B-Cayman likes this.
post #132 of 139 Old 03-27-2019, 05:21 AM

"Had the pleasure" HA! Ok i get the idea of giving a bad dog a good name.

CANUCK GTS, 3 times already, you are my hero, LOL. 2 questions for you, 1) are you getting quicker with the process as you do it more and 2) is there some kind of alignment feature for that top headlight sensor? I was afraid that if I removed it, I wouldn't be able to get it back in the exact same position and might mess up whatever headlight alignment thing it does. There was on little bolt holding it into place, but I didn't see any alignment pins or anything that would allow me to "put it back like I found it". Thanks for any and all other tips you've got to share.

I've got a scissor lift that I use which made things a little easier, but I think next time I'll back in instead of pull in because some of the undertray bolts were blocked by some of the lift structure. I could get my hand and ratchet in there with just enough room to remove those two bolts in holes in the front portion of the tray, but it was a blind operation. I'm hoping if I try with the car the other way on the lift this can be avoided.
post #133 of 139 Old 03-27-2019, 10:14 AM

rocketrich

1) Yes, as the old expression says "Practice makes Perfect" ..things go quicker through repetition.
2) Yes, there is small tab that inserts into the frame to align the headlight sensor bolt. When I first removed it I was a bit worried that it might be a problem re-installing it but it was ok, just a bit awkward getting at the bolt in that narrow space.

I also had a problem with the two plastic nuts on the outside of the tray being obstructed by my lift so now remove them with before lifting. After that everything was accessible.

post #134 of 139 Old 03-27-2019, 10:55 AM

Garage
I can't find anywhere how to tell the computer you've changed the oil. anyone?

2017 Miami Blue Boxster S 6M
- Porche Torque Vectoring
- Sport Chrono
- Carbon Fiber Interior Trim
- Entry & Drive
post #135 of 139 Old 03-27-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePhDPE View Post
I can't find anywhere how to tell the computer you've changed the oil. anyone?
I have heard that the iCarsoft POR-II can do this on the 718 models. It is available on Amazon, so you could return it if it does not work for you. There is one review that says "I also tried it on my buddies 718 Cayman to reset his major maintance warning and it worked like a charm. The unit plugged into his OBD port much easier than mine". This device was also mentioned here on rennlist.
MikePhDPE likes this.

May the Porsche be with you.
post #136 of 139 Old 04-03-2019, 10:46 PM

Garage
I have been in contact with the iCarsoft POR II manufacturer for the last 6-7 months and they are working on specific software for the 17-18 Cayman/Boxter Oil reset programming. The manufacturer says they expect that software/firmware update is forthcoming however they do not have a specific date as of yet. You cannot reset the oil service without the use of a diagnostic/reset tool. I have also looked at all of the other products on the market and from what I can see the iCarsoft POR II is the way to go. It's ease of use and the lifetime downloads are included with the purchase of the unit. You simply go to their website and download their updates as they come out. Look at the specs and it will tell you exactly what the tools capabilities are. It is also able to connect to other Porsche models as well - you just need to verify the specific model. Some non Porsche repair/service facilities use this as well. I plan to purchase one soon and look forward to the software update/upgrade and hope that it comes out in the next couple of months. Let me know how it works out for you....
Viffermike likes this.
post #137 of 139 Old 05-01-2019, 08:48 AM

I bought a Foxwell NT510 scan tool from Diagonistic World after watching their you Tube video entitled "Best Porsche Diagnostic Tool for 2018 & 2019". It would not communicate with my 2018 CGTS. It looks like it supports a lot of other Porsche models but not the 718. I have not found a scan tool yet that will reset the Oil Service Notification; thanks Porsche! Also, thanks for the crap engineering on the oil filter location. No dip stick, thanks for that too. Typical German engineering, they should get a Honda Civic up on one of their lifts to see how to engineer something than can be serviced. I wonder what else is messed up on this car if the oil change is this screwed up. It took me over two hours to change the oil and I have a lift and have been working on cars for 44 years. The car sure is fun to drive though!!
718S likes this.

2018 718 GTS, Grey with most of the bells and whistles

Last edited by Gearupmd11; 05-01-2019 at 08:52 AM.
post #138 of 139 Old 05-02-2019, 01:38 AM

Serviceability will usually be one of the challenges/compromises in a mid-engine design. The 914's tough to work on, too.
post #139 of 139 Old 05-06-2019, 09:32 PM

Garage
I just did an oil change and used my iCarsoft POR II to shut off the oil service message. Worked fine; no more message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page