Motorcycles? - Porsche 718 Forum
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 04-24-2019, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Motorcycles?

Any bikers here? I'm a long time motorcyclist. At this point, I'm a Life AMA member (the motorcycle folks, not the physicians).

I started out with a '67 Honda 305 Scrambler (in '69) and have always owned at least one bike since then. As well as various steet bikes, I ran East Coast Enduro Association enduros in the NJ Pine Barrens for over 10 years with a number of trail bikes.

These days my main riding seems to be on pit bikes (one of them is sort of "creative" and home built). Recently I decided to sell my two smallish off-road bikes and buy a modest dual-sport for street use. It will also serve for pit-bike use along with some legal forest trail riding.

My new bike is a Yamaha TW200. I've been a fan of these fat-tire bikes ever since I read that a TW was the first bike ridden to the North Pole. Yamaha has built these things almost unchanged since 1987 so the bugs have been worked out of them and parts are easy to find.

So far I have just 500 gentle street miles on it. In a way, it's like the Cayman all over again....I'm going easy on it with the notion that if will be best in the long run. But going easy on a very mild 200 cc bike means slow going. It's top speed is only 55 mph and I've been keeping it under 45. Still, it's great fun and a nice addition to my little fleet of weird things.

Photos of my TW200 below. The last photo shows a friend of mine riding our other "pit-bike".....my home-built barstool racer.

Any other bikers here?

- - - - W.Z.
post #2 of 51 Old 04-24-2019, 09:27 AM

Garage
In summertime I use this to get to my job. Often looked down upon as not a real 'biker', don't care,I love driving it =)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yammie.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	721.9 KB
ID:	21168  

If in doubt...flat out
post #3 of 51 Old 04-24-2019, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

You can probably glean from my sig that I'm into bikes. 'Viffer' refers to the Honda VFR, which was my last ride before I stopped motorcycling regularly about a decade ago.

What I rode, from 1998 until about 2008:
2002 Honda Interceptor. Put about 40k miles on it, and took it on several interstate trips. Absolutely adored it. Did a little customization, including LED tails, pinstriped wheels, hardwired GPS, and painted dash panel.
2001 Suzuki SV650 (#2, track bike). I did 3-4 track days a year until 2005 on this, which I co-owned with a pal. Even bought a frakking Jeep (with a manual!) to tow it around. Track prepped with everything from Marchesini wheels and Ohlins fork to clip-ons and track sliders. Thing was a tossable beast on tighter technical tracks; I regularly lapped literbikes on it.
2001 KTM Duke II. Co-owned with an ex-fiance. The single most fun bike I've ever ridden. Wheelies and stoppies at will, and absolute genius in the city.
2000.5 Aprilia ST1000 Falco. Basically a Mille with a half fairing. V-Twin literbike. Ducati killer. Incredible to own, but a bum knee from a soccer injury made me trade it in after two years for the Interceptor.
00 Suzuki SV650 (#1, street bike). Had this for about two years, and modified it heavily to cop a cafe racer/streetfighter combo vibe. Loved it so much, I went in on another as a track bike. Really easy to work on.
97 Kawasaki Ninja 500. First owned bike; bought it used. Only had it for about 6 months before I got one of the first 2000 SVs. Nice for what it was, but otherwise ... meh.

I rode to work most years at least twice a week on everything above except the track bike -- even in the Texas summer, wearing a helmet, boots and a perforated Kushitani or Vanson jacket. Why'd I stop? I never had a major crash on public roads, but came close a few too many times ... and had a couple of pals who weren't so lucky ... and I needed to get finances in order for a coming career change. Life choices ... you know.

I thought about getting back into it last year; even shopped a KTM Super Duke GT, a BMW R100RS, and a Ducati Multistrada, among a couple of others. Decided the P-Car was enough at this stage in my life.
aeronca65tl likes this.

-- Life is a journey made more exciting with a fast car. --
-- Helmets are for closers. --
-- Death to all who chrome! --
Blackened '18 NBM 718 Cayman: "Alli". Audio mods TBD

Last edited by Viffermike; 04-24-2019 at 06:05 PM.

post #4 of 51 Old 04-24-2019, 01:21 PM

The motorcycle that saved my 15 year old riding career. I had a 2013 Multistrada for three years. It was such a piece of crap that I was contemplating giving up riding - I didn't want to spend the money it would take to replace the Ducati. I totally love the 2016 RT. It's wonderful. Ducati is dead to me.
Viffermike and aeronca65tl like this.

300 is plenty, 350's too many, and 365 is not enough.
post #5 of 51 Old 04-24-2019, 01:40 PM

Garage
Yep. For close to 25 years. There have been many times throughout the decades where riding was either my primary or sole means of transportation.
aeronca65tl likes this.

May the number of surfaces exceed the number of dives by at least one
post #6 of 51 Old 04-24-2019, 02:27 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Scubaregs
Biked for almost 40 years.

Just traded in an 8th gen VFR800,

For a Z1000SX.
post #7 of 51 Old 04-24-2019, 02:38 PM

I don't have pics of any of the cycles I've owned. The first was a Honda 360 when I was 16. Rode it to high school everyday. It was a pig, but I didn't know any better. When in college, I bought a 125 Honda for commuting to and from campus and my wife-to-be was on the back much of the time (still married). Much later in life I had the urge again and bought a Big Dog chopper softtail that I rode for a couple of years. It was fast, loud, and in-your-face, but I out grew it. I have been without for about 10-years. It is undoubtedly fun, but not worth the risk at this point in my life.
post #8 of 51 Old 04-24-2019, 02:57 PM

Garage
I have a KTM... Bicycle with an electric assist motor But that will probably not qualify as a motorcycle even though it has been derestricted
aeronca65tl likes this.
post #9 of 51 Old 04-24-2019, 03:48 PM

I started off on a TW200 and have much love for that bike.

I currently have a BMW S1000R but I haven't ridden in a couple years, need to get back into it.
aeronca65tl likes this.
post #10 of 51 Old 04-24-2019, 04:53 PM

I had a 2002 springer soft tail, 91 1200 sportster,08 Yamaha fz6 600, 75 Suzuki gt550 , 74 Yamaha dt125a, 2012 Yamaha zuma 125. I have gotten rid of all them except the FZ6 , and the DT125. Being disabled caused me to get rid of bikes and get a sports car instead. CGTS yehah. The FZ6 will be the last to go. Living in Maine that tw200 looks like a great bike for trails , and street cruising
aeronca65tl likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page