Porsche 718 Forum banner

2019 GT4 ... Rumors updated!

50K views 250 replies 58 participants last post by  Porsche2018 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. Yes, I'm still the new guy on the block but wanted to share some of the latest "rumors", presumed "factual", based on inside information. Anyone who follows Rennlist knows what I'm talking about BUT for those who don't, thought you might enjoy some more teasers regarding the 2019 GT4. First and obviously foremost. Definite GT4 2019. RS version not approved yet, but still a possibility at some point but many seem to doubt that it will actually transpire. 4.0 liter NA flat 6 powered (read non turbo)! HOWEVER, NOT THE GT3 ENGINE! Supposedly the previous 3.8 liter monster will be stroked to 4.0...with 420 hp! PDK still rumored a possible option (mine will be equipped with a manual transmission!). Predictions for announcement are all over the place. Some say as early as October in Paris, others as late as Geneva, spring 2019. Since clubsport versions, I believe, are supposed to be ready to race early next year, and as many of you are aware, have been testing at least at Monza, perhaps a reveal towards the end of the year? This is one area no one seems to agree upon. Regardless of how these "rumors" play out, the second generation GT4 will be a phenomenal evolution of the first generation, building upon the already remarkable characteristics of the current 718 platform. The mid engine Cayman and it's sister Boxster, have been and continue to be, perhaps two of the finest sports cars ever produced, regardless of marque or price. A near perfect balance of size, performance and handling. A true drivers car. Poor mans Porsche?... I don't think so. Everyone, particularly the doubters, should feel so "impoverished"! I'll keep you all up to date on my 2019 GT4 "lock in" as soon as it's given the "official" green light!

See less See more
#2 ·
Very interested to see the redesign of the new GT4. What I have also noted is the pricing on the 2016 GT4s is starting to come down. I was offered a 2016 GT4 with 65 miles on it, essentially new, for MSRP by Plano Porsche a few weeks back. The price decline may be related to the anticipated new release or then again it could be true-true and unrelated; time will tell.

#3 · (Edited)
Styling and redesign, although evolutionary, and obviously subjective, based upon ones taste, I think will be sharp looking. The mules are just that...not 100% yet. I'm betting on the characteristic side rear air duct housings/diverters on the final production model (these are seen on the club sport mules testing at Monza). Just a great sports car! Speaking of great...what a deal for someone in the market for a "new" 2016 GT4. But as you're aware, my rubels are tied into the 2019 GT4!

#4 ·
Styling and redesign, although evolutionary, and obviously subjective, based upon ones taste, I think will be sharp looking. The mules are just that...not 100% yet. I'm betting on the characteristic side rear air duct housings/diverters on the final production model (theses are seen on the club sport mules testing at Monza). Just a great sports car! Speaking of great...what a deal for someone in the market for a "new" 2016 GT4. But as you're aware, my rubels are tied into the 2019 GT4!
Have you had a chance to test drive the 2016 GT4? If not I would advise it they are fun cars, and you can get a reasonable deal now. I got the chance to drive one a bit in my quest to see if I should spec Full Bucket or the 18 way. Also I suspect as with most of the GT cars there will be an associated ADM when released. Keep us posted.....love those winged mobiles.;)

#5 ·
Almost had a chance but it sold before I could take it for a spin. Though I did get to sit in it and interestingly, that was exactly what I was trying to decide...buckets or 18 way! It didn't take me long to decide. I'm going the comfortable route....the 18 way sport seats, but those racing buckets are super cool looking! Believe it or not, I've been "assured" by my dealership that they do not do ADM's!

#6 ·
Great on the no-ADM, way to go! I specced 18-ways then changed to Buckets and changed once more back to the 18-ways.......comfort is the way to go. If I were you I would still scout out a GT4 in your surrounding area Porsche dealerships even if you have to drive a couple of hours to track one down, and take one for a spin they don't disappoint.

#7 ·
Definitely, at least for me, but the buckets were tempting...as I see they were to you, too. I think you/we made the right choice! Besides comfort, the leather with contrasting lava orange stitching, GT4 logo etc., on the 18 ways will look sharp! Also wanted to thank you for replying to my post...thought there would be more members excited to share thoughts regarding the upcoming GT4...

#9 ·
I'm genuinely interested in the new GT4, but it will likely be made from "unobtanium" for me. I had a chance to compare my GTS to a '16 GT4 last weekend and the sad truth is that I couldn't get a GT4 over the curb on my driveway. Factory axle lift option, then maybe.

#11 · (Edited)
I hear you on that. I often wondered if the Cayman set up would allow enough room for an axle lift? On the bright side, they claim the new splitter is strong enough to support a 250 lb person standing on it...so maybe it would survive a few "curbs"...LOL?...but seriously, hoping never to have to find out!

#14 ·
One great thing about the front lip/splitter they only cost a few hundred dollars to replace; I think ~$250. In fact I was negotiating with a private owner of a GT4 from SF, and he was going to throw in a second front splitter he never used but purchased at the time he bought his GT4.

#13 ·
Thanks....seems his biggest gripe with the GT4 was the lack of axle lift and perhaps lack of PDK for DD around London. A lift would be helpful for sure but I still wonder if the layout of the Cayman would accommodate such a system? If it's an option, you can count me in...if not, it is what it is. Regarding the Rennlist source, everything seems to indicate PDK as an option on the new GT4. I still prefer a manual transmission for all the usual reasons but I've always felt the engine sounds better when paired with a manual transmission... or perhaps I hear what I want to hear...LOL...so as of right now, still planning on a manual.

#17 ·
Interestingly, I too speced a GTS with similar results ( a bit over 100K). I even flew out to LA late last Nov/Dec for its debut! What a fantastic overall package/performer. I knew it would not disappoint, as you have already experienced, but ultimately the yearning for the GT4, with its anticipated 4.0 flat 6 coupled to a manual transmission, won me over. Regarding the 911...fine sports car, however, it never entered the equation for me. A true two seat, mid engine sports car has been and will always be, my sports car "of choice". Its amazing how many do not fully grasp that last statement....my choice, and fail to admit and/or realize, out of shear ignorance or pure denial, just how good the mid engined Cayman/Boxsters truly are. I'm excited for you and your new GTS. What color did you pick? If you've read my thread you already know my preference...Lava Orange!

#18 ·
It will interesting to see the 0-60 times between the 718 GTS and a 2019 GT4 (NA). Not so much for the ultimate speed but how the turbo 4 365HP with bottom end torque compares to the free spinning 400HP NA six. I fully expect the GT4 to start gaining speed after 60 but it will interesting to see how the GTS compares to the GT4 on the same track at the same time with the same driver.

#34 ·
https://youtu.be/a8dxg0z8oEg

New video. First time that it doesn't sound like a flat 4 to me. Maybe this is a GT4 RS mule? But whatever it is the GPF muffles most of the distinction between 4 and 6 cylinder anyway.
You can tell that's a six, but definitely doesn't sound quite right. I can't help but wonder how the GPF will affect the sound of the 4 pot in the 718.

#25 ·
To me neither. I believe the new Euro GPF (gasoline particulate filter) emissions requirement eliminates most of the known sound pattern of a 4 or 6 cylinder. Like someone put a pillow over the exhaust. Only thing I can tell for sure from the video is they hooligan around in the lower rev range. And there is loads of low range torque. So definitely turbo imho.

#29 ·
My pure speculation would be that there will be a GT4. And why wouldn't they? Their GT cars garner a lot of attention and excitement. They sell out and are quite collectible right now. My guess is that after the 992 is released we'll start seeing more about the GT4. While I'm in guessing mode, I might as well also surmise that the GT4 would be released in the last model year of the 718 Caymans.

#41 ·
An SA I worked with in the past just confirmed that the GT4 & Spyder is a reality and here is the quote......"My GM just got back from their 2019 planning meeting. There will be a GT4 and a Spyder version if the 718. 4th quarter planned release EPA pending".
I let him know we would be interested in purchasing a GT4 over the 2019 CS we ordered. I will wait to hear the rest of the story.

#45 ·
Yup...one more day before the official reveal of the Club sport version! This should give us, minimally, some information on engine specifics. Supposedly teaser commercials to follow soon thereafter. I still suspect an official reveal/debut at Geneva for the street version in early March. Hopefully I can begin the configuration process for my GT4 shortly after. Spent half of New Years Eve day at my dealership getting a head start on must haves and have nots, regarding potential options! As usual, drive fast, drive safe and enjoy!

#46 · (Edited)
There are currently five 981 GT4s for sale on a local NZ auction site, two of these were listed in the last 30 days and two of the five have the Clubsport package.

For a small country like NZ this is a relatively large number to be up for sale and the fact that two of them were listed in the last thirty days (and one just before that), could indicate that the sellers might actually know something about the upcoming model.

#47 ·
There are currently five 981 GT4s for sale on a local NZ auction site, two of these were listed in the last 30 days and two of the five have the Clubsport package.

For a small country like NZ this is a relatively large high number to be up for sale and the fact that two of them were listed in the last thirty days (and one just before that), could indicate that the sellers might actually know something about the upcoming model.
....Hmmmm....you might have something there!!....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.