Porsche 718 Forum banner

My Realization About the 718 vs 981 Exhaust/Engine Sounds

33K views 64 replies 28 participants last post by  Johnmark101 
#1 ·
I am approaching 4 months of ownership of my 2019 Cayman Base and 2,000 miles. As I was driving the other day, I got to thinking about the debates about the 718 and 981 exhaust/engine sounds. What occurred to me is the sweet sound of the 981 boxer 6's are usually commented on relative to running in the upper rev ranges in the strong power band. I thought, hmmmm, cannot disagree that it has a great sound up there but in my typical driving, I am not running much above 3,500 to 4,000 RPM around town and on the highway. And. at that RPM range, there is not that much of the sound many lament is gone. I then thought, I do not need to rev up into the higher ranges to get the performance out of this 718 because the powerband is broad beginning at 1,950 RPM. And, in this lower RPM powerband, I hear more of the engine sound than I did in my 981s (even with the Soundaktor disabled via fuse removal). Just an interesting observation..........

#2 ·
I've always wondered about the whole sound issue. I rented a 911 for a couple of days, and to honest, I really didn't "hear" much of the engine/exhaust. Maybe is was just insulation or me not jumping on it hard enough, but I'm still perplexed by this infatuation with sound. Most of the sound comes out of the tail-end and if traveling at speed I would suspect you shouldn't hear much (basic physics). Only those outside would benefit most from whatever difference there is in sound imho. When I test drove the 718 I (w/o pse) I heard very little. We'll see what the PSE adds to the acoustics.

#3 ·
I had 6 Porsches with flat 6 NA engines and they do make a great howl/wail but mainly at above 5-6K revs and unless you drive everywhere in second and third gear in high revs you don't hear it

my 718 CGTS (with the Donald fuse removed), as a fellow Porsche owner said to me, has a different but not worse sound to the flat 6's

I did 160 mixed miles today to meet up with a few UK based forum members and covered some ground quickly at times and at 6K revs that is not a bad sound

but more I cam away with a firm reminder of the huge breadth of talent of these cars - stunning!

#7 ·
The flat six NA engines do sound amazing! No doubt there... Problem is, in order to extract the sound, you have to be high up in the rev range, and to properly enjoy the sound, you almost always have to break every speed law to do so. Our cars sound good from the low rev range, and you can enjoy it daily without having to break every law to extract power or listen to the sound. My opinion: the flat sixes do sound better, but the 718 is faster in every measurable way, and the sound is still decent...

#18 ·
The flat six NA engines do sound amazing! No doubt there...
I'll disagree with this statement. I've owned a 987 Boxster for over ten years ( and still do) and never thought "Wow, this car makes a great sound!", In fact, I never even thought about the sound of thatcar until forum dwellers and some reviewers stated incessantly whining about how turbo charging has destroyed the driving experience.

You want great sound...get an Aston Martin v12. On a lower budget? Then my TR6 with sport exhaust sounds better than anything...OK don't go above 60mph or you will fear for your life. 0-60 in a cool...IDK...whatever...12 secs? but it sounds great. A true sports car!!

The sound thing is a silly discussion that is entirely disproportional to the pros/cons of the car. So what else is new...

Now I have to go back and watch NASCAR and listen to the egg beaters...

#4 ·
Tim, totally agree

What was apparent when you, Uzzi and I were in convoy today was the instant on tap performance these cars have, we were going past some of those cars today (all three of us at once) as if they were not there, there was no “get into the power zone” advance planning required, it was simply a case of ensuring the car was in the relevant drive mode, plant your foot and hold on

I thought they sounded great in convoy and when we entered and exited the car park, as I think the audience we had did also

These cars are deeply impressive and all look amazing

Alan

#5 ·
. . . the instant on tap performance these cars have . . .
Ah, you're referring to the other great flaw of the 718 (according to enthusiasts on other forums) - the "un-engaging wall of torque". I mean, who wants their sports car to be responsive, right?

Which gets us to the third major flaw of the 718 - even though it is too responsive to enjoy, it has terrible turbo lag.

#9 ·
I love the sound from my 718 B 2.0 with PSE. It gives me that retro sports car sound with open roof, sitting in a hightec sportscar.
Sure you can not compare that to a B6, thats like comparing hiphop with heavy metal. Not possible...

It sounds so good and it sounds unique. - like it drives ;)

In my case money is limited and not growing on trees. I am glad to get a turbo engine in an afordable car. That was my dream. Driving a very fast up to date Porsche. Never thought i can...

:)

#11 ·
My thought on engine sound:

I've been attending and competing in sports car races for over 50 years. I have never heard anything as cool-sounding as a Ferrari 312 (V12 mid-engine coupe). That car has the classic "tearing canvas" sound that is a trademark of V12 Ferraris.

By comparison, the current F1 cars sound as soulless as an electric motor.

The front-engine Ferraris like the old Daytona, 375 GTB or even the old 250 cars, also make a great sound. It seems to be in the DNA of these cars.

I was in a 12 Hour race last year that was won by a 911. Every time it went by our pits it made sort of a loud howling, tinny sound. Not particularly appealing, to me at least. And that's been my reaction to the 6 cylinder Porsches long before there was even a 718. I'll also add that I think the air-cooled 911s sound even worse.

Well-muffled American street V8s like Mustangs and Corvettes can have a nice, muscular sound. On the other hand, I think the old Ford 60 Series flatheads sounded hideous (although they have a long and well-deserved history of success in racing).

To be honest I think moderate muffling helps the sound of most engines. Most cars that are unmuffled sound awful, at least to me.....including my own MG Midget vintage race car and the Honda racer I sometimes rent.

Years ago I became enamoring by the sound of street MGBs that were fitted with a free-flow exhaust. They have a nice combo of "throaty" moving into a high pitch as revs increase. I'm sure this is some sort of acoustic accident that was never planned by the folks building MGs. But anyway, to my ears, nothing I can afford sounds better than these British roadsters. In truth, it's part of the reason I bought the one I have currently owned for over 10 years.

The 718 engine reminds me more of the well-muffled American street V8s that I mentioned above. It's nothing special but it's not off-putting either. When my wife first got in ours, she commented that it sounded like it had a really big engine.....probably because she felt it was more V8-like.

My biggest noise concern in the Cayman is the surprisingly loud tire noise. I'm hoping that when the Goodyears wear out that I find something less noisy.

The "concern" about the 718 engine sound seems like much ado about nothing to me.

#12 ·
My thought on engine sound:

To be honest I think moderate muffling helps the sound of most engines. Most cars that are unmuffled sound awful, at least to me.....including my own MG Midget vintage race car and the Honda racer I sometimes rent.

Years ago I became enamoring by the sound of street MGBs that were fitted with a free-flow exhaust. They have a nice combo of "throaty" moving into a high pitch as revs increase. I'm sure this is some sort of acoustic accident that was never planned by the folks building MGs. But anyway, to my ears, nothing I can afford sounds better than these British roadsters. In truth, it's part of the reason I bought the one I have currently owned for over 10 years.

The "concern" about the 718 engine sound seems like much ado about nothing to me.

I'm sure you will get plenty of feedback on the sound appraisal, but I liked your comment on MGBs. I loved my 1968 MGB, wire wheels, and with electric overdrive in 3rd and 4th gears. Well, particularly when I could keep it on the road. It didn't have a folding top so I used the tonneau cover more than bothering with the top you had to put together. In fact, that little beauty was the primary inspiration for wanting the ultimate hardtop roadster (if that isn't an oxymoron), and I've found it in my base Cayman! The more I drive it, look at it, and hear it; the more I love it. It has many of my favorite characteristics of the MGB, with three times the power, superior ride and handling characteristics. Driving the MGB also showed me that I didn't need all the many comfort features I would want in a DD, and might distract from the "toy" qualities that I desire.

Reactions: aeronca65tl
#16 ·
I'm new to Porsche. My previous sports car was a 2003 Vette with cold air intake, tune, long tube headers and Borla Stingers. Sounded very nice (although a C5 motor does sound like it's going to grenade near red line).

A week or two ago I was leaving Knoxville west on I-40, and I heard this car. It was a new-ish red 911 with a big wing on the back. We were going 60-65 in traffic; he was on the phone, gently weaving across lanes.

It sounded awful. It was loud, discordant, and obnoxious. I hope he was in second gear; if it was third, I just can't imagine. I would have crawled under a rock and died of embarrassment if I was driving that car. Well, first I would have shifted up. Essentially a very expensive version of a ricer Honda with a big can for an exhaust. So I'm hoping and assuming that the exhaust was not factory, but I really can't be sure.

#17 ·
There is no accounting for taste... I had a MY12 and a MY14 Mustang GT. The factory exhaust sounded different! The MY14 was more muted, still a throaty V8. I've heard aftermarket equipped Mustang GTs and all of them sound obnoxiously loud. I know that Borla (IIR) makes a decent sounding (not very loud) model, but nobody seems to have received the memo.

I like the cold start sound of the 718. Then I press the Sport mode and PSE-off buttons and go merrily on my way. (I still can't believe that I told my wife 'I want to buy a Porsche' and she said 'Ok! Let's go and test-drive some...').

#27 ·
Right now, the sound of the 718 is keeping me from owning one. Not because it’s worse than the 981, but because my wife says it’s too loud in the cabin. We test drove a CGTS and I took it easy. She hated it. We haven’t driven a 981 but it might be my only path to Cayman ownership. Being quieter in the low range could be a big help. I loved driving the 718 the first time I drove it. The sound was not what I was expecting but I didn’t care. Loved the power and handling.

#44 · (Edited)
In a german porsche forum there is an endless thread about that. I realy don´t care about. Some pictures from winter tests with the "GT4" exaust on a regular 718s throw a galon petrol in the fire...
The B4T haters go crazy.

I realy can´t imagine that step from Porsche, but **** thoose days they realy have to sell cars and management don´t give a f%&e on the "history" of the 718 as they wrote selling the718 B4Ts.

If there comes the 982.2 and if they put all the digital instruments and the large screen in the center like the new 911 and panamera has. I think i keep my 2.0 boxster for a long time... ;) maybe upgrade to B4T GTS as they sell out the B4Ts.

Have a nice weekend!

#52 ·
So.. today I was fortunate enough to ride a cayman gts4.0 for the first time. A new friend has one and gave me a very short drive. He drove i sat next to him. Bottom line the flat six sonds glorious imo above 4000rpm of course.
I have a new cayman T delivered 30 days ago so am still in run in period and haven’t been above 4000rpm. My engine flat 4 sounds nice between 3000 and 4000. Since it’s my first porsche ever let’s say i was awed in the first days aft delivery (i had an audi tt base model before) so imagine the difference! The 718 is truly amazing. Imo true sports cars have three main must characteristics the looks the torque and the sound
My cayman t has imo 10/10 looks wise 9/10 torque wise and 8/10 sound wise. If the engine sound above 4000 will stay the same as between 3000 and 4000 imo the flat six is just so much more rewarding that it truly makes my envy gts 4.0 owners as I could not afford for now the gts (in my country the car costs double!! Because of import tax on vehicles).
On the other hand its somewhat consoling maybe inspiring to hear the views on the forum from people that have had the flat 6 caymans and think the 718 flat 4 for is better in other senses mainly torque. By the way imo there is a big lag under 2000rpm maybe if I paddle shift down to a lower gear it will help (until now I haven’t used the paddles much cuz I’m waiting to end the run in period as I understand the paddles will be more functional then when I want to prolong the gear up to 7200).
Personally from the drive today on the gts 4.0 I wouldn’t say you hardly reach above 5000 on regular day to day driving. It looks to me Its definitely possible on regular suburban roads connecting between neighborhoods or cities not only on the highway.
For my satisfaction at least the sound of the engine and exhaust is very very important for my enjoyment in driving so i am somewhat disappointed today after hearing that glorious 6 for the first time and knowing I’ll never get that on m T. perhaps my disappointment will lessen if after the run in period i will feel that above 4000 the flat 4 sounds better than between 3000 and 4000 and the exhaust will open up more.
Your thoughts? 🙏🏼🙏🏼

#54 ·
By the way imo there is a big lag under 2000rpm maybe if I paddle shift down to a lower gear it will help (until now I haven’t used the paddles much cuz I’m waiting to end the run in period as I understand the paddles will be more functional then when I want to prolong the gear up to 7200).
A better way to put it is that there is little torque under 2000rpm. Lag, contrary to what some bloggers think and even what one or two people here is the forum say, is the delay between when you mash the loud pedal and when it starts to push when the engine should already be in its happy zone. The 718 engine does not generate much torque below 2000rpm. The delay isn't because it takes a while for the turbo to spin up, it's because the engine doesn't put out much torque down there. The turbo boost gauge can lead to a wrong conclusion that it takes too long to spin up at low rpm. Turbo boost requires two things, the throttle being open enough and the engine pushing a lot of air which means running at sufficient rpm. At 3000rpm the engine is pushing twice as much air as at 1500rpm. If you mash the throttle at 3000rpm (which you can't really do during break-in period) and watch the boost gauge you will see how quickly the turbo responds. But like more sports car engines it doesn't push very hard when running slowly.

Reactions: Raven
#53 ·
One thing you will find is the exhaust note sounds better after you get 3 or 4k miles on the engine. If you have the money, you can make it sound even better. It isn't worth it for me. I always drive in Sport and love the burbles and people do notice the sound, but they won't curse you for it.

#57 ·
Ok so I’m just going to set the record straight about this exhaust note and I know some people absolutely hate the people way the 4 cyc sounds! I get that and I think folks should be more honest about what they really don’t like! In most cases, people hate the idea of a 4cyc turbo in a Porcshe and having been unable to criticise its blustering performance, they go diss the sound!
Look if you don’t like a 4 cyc, get a 6!
Simple!

The truth is…
The 4 cyc has a LOUDER exhaust note, and that’s obvious at start up! I did daily comparisons with my neighbour every morning for a fortnight!
The base 718 has a rough and raw exhaust note as if the engine is coughing!
The 6 cyc in the other hand has a more muted probably resonant note, it more civilised and resonant rather than rough and raw!
My first Porsche over 20 years ago was a 911 SC, a real 911, the air cooled one!
The way the 718 sounds has been criticised as sound liej an old Vw, they’re not wrong, it sounds like the air cooled 911!

The fact that the base 718 sounds more similiar to the class air cooled 911 is a tradition to be appreciated and cherished!
I always remember the rough cough and bangs on my 911 and the 718 is a modern version of that!
It’s not a bad sound! It’s loud, rough and raw! Definitely bassier than the 6cyc at any rpm, it doenst sound as civilised but I’m not after refinement in my Porsche, I have an SL65 for that!
For context, I was at the dealership looking at a GT4 RS this morning and started up the car on the show room floor…
Would you believe, it’s sophisticated exhaust note wasnt as loud not as rough as the 718! What a surprise!
It’s NOT as LOUD or as RAW as the 718!!!
Anyone doubt me, do a video comparison!
You’ll be surprised at the results!

I know I prefer the sound of the Turbo 4, it’s a traditional 911 note! Others hate it!
I want a Porsche to sound like a Porsche, the most famous one of all! And I don’t think that it’s a bad thing!

And yeah it sounds like an old beetle coughing… but that’s Porcshe for you!

So for those of you that keep harping on about the way the base 718 sounds, well it’s loud, it’s raw and it sounds like an aircooled 911! Which in my books is better than the 6 cyc. The raw rough howl just has more soul in it to me!

And for those who don’t like the 4 cyc, I understand that but be honest about why you don’t like it, it’s not really the sound is it???? Could you really not like a modern Porsche Coupe that sounds like an air cooled 911????

#64 ·
Did you not see all the hate 718 recieved when it was released ?
Everything was wrong with it due to it being a 4 cylinder.

Only objection i had when testing was that it vibrates a bit more then a 6 cylinder.
But after 2 min driving i never thought about it ever again.

Still to this day you have purists that looks down on it.
And that is way faster the 987, 981 does not matter for them.

Sigh....